The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Former Eye To Eye member Deborah Berg (McCarthy) has 2 solo CD's including "Places Where I Dream" (2008) & "No Rush" (2012) which I am planning on getting!! Both CD's are available on the CDBaby website or at Amazon. The other member of Eye To Eye Julian Marshall does have a solo Classical CD which came out in 2008 but I do not have any plans though. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I've been too musically exhausted to play any of my own tunes the past two days, but I had a chance to hear a few of the tracks from the 15ips reels that Analogue Productions released. They are dubbed from a copy made from the original master, and many of the dealers at AXPONA had AP's sampler reel. One of the tracks was from Hugh Masekela's album Hope from 1994--"Stimela (Coal Train)".

I also heard a Mobile Fidelity test pressing of the Elvis Costello/Burt Bacharach album, and it sounds fantastic (the master was 30ips analog). I suspect it will be released in about 6-8 weeks.

We also were treated to a test pressing of the upcoming Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard released using the Mobile Fidelity One-Step process. What they do is create the stamper directly from the lacquer master, so it avoids the two intervening metal parts. The presence and detail on the recording was better than I'd ever heard it.

This is off topic, but I applied for an IT job at the Crosley record plant - mostly because I'd love to see the place. :D

This is off topic, but I applied for an IT job at the Crosley record plant - mostly because I'd love to see the place. :D
Even after 100+ years of records, the process is basically the same today as it was 100 years ago. It is fascinating! I wonder what they are using for record presses. Third Man opened their pressing plant here with the first brand new pressing machines built in decades (from Newbilt in, I think, Germany), while some other plants have been buying up the old presses and having them fully refurbished.

upload_2017-4-29_15-1-24.png

And looking forward to this forthcoming limited edition release (3,000 numbered copies--the test pressing sounded fantastic):

upload_2017-4-29_15-2-10.png

Late night listening with Michael Franks--The Art of Tea, and Sleeping Gypsy. "St. Elmo's Fire," "Nightmoves" and "Mr. Blue" are big favorites from the former.

Also have listened to a few tracks from Hugh Masekela's live recording Hope (borrowed the Analogue Productions SACD reissue). This is one I may get in the vinyl edition--it is well recorded, and has some compelling music on it, spanning a good portion of Masekela's career. The 15ips, 2-track reel version of "Stimela (The Coal Train)" I heard last weekend was stunning (from the Analogue Productions sampler reel).

I don'r think I posted this before, but I recently discovered a 2011 album from Yes called Fly From Here. I think it's fantastic -- recaptures the sound and style of their glory years, although maybe they've mellowed a bit and don't have quite as many out-of-control solos. Very melodic. Jon Anderson isn't with them anymore but they have a different singer on this album who sounds a lot like him. Really really good if you're a fan of the pre-80s sound of Yes. (They've abandoned the synth-pop sound for this album.)

I'm not much into "alternative", but I was recently steered toward a 1997 album by a group named IVY. It's called APARTMENT LIFE and it was issued twice in the same year, once on Atlantic and again on Sony Music. Discussions online were dismissing it as too "pop" for the hard-music guys, so that gave me a clue that I might like it.

The band is made up of two guys that I recall from a group known as Fountains Of Wayne. They had a hit with "Stacy's Mom" that caught my ear back in 2003. IVY also incorporates a French female lead singer, Dominique Durand, who had emigrated to America.

A number of songs on the album sound similar to each other, but it's been a good background album and good as in-car music.

The original Atlantic disc looks like this:
Apartment_Life.jpg

while the later Sony album has this cover:
Apartmentlife2.jpg

Both images are contained in both releases, but what was inside is later outside and vice versa. The Sony disc also had four tracks remixed, but I prefer the Atlantic album's original mixes. As usual, I pay no attention to lyrics in any new music I listen to, but soak up the chords, the harmony, the sound of the songs, so for all I know they could be singing about sex, drugs, and murder, and I'd never know. There are no lyrics published with the disc (either one).

The only Ivy tune that ever caught my ear was the cover of Steely Dan's "Only A Fool Would Say That." Nice enough but I didn't seek out anything further, that I know of. It is from the album Guestroom.

Now I need to play the Steely Dan version. :laugh:

Usually I prefer album versions, but I was spinning this while cleaning up from dinner, since there are some really good single mixes on it (like "A Question of Time" and "Behind The Wheel"):

51+1gsbun5L._AC_US218_.jpg

"Going Backwards" is a strong track on the new one:

81kjBHBV0pL._SY355_.jpg

I am awaiting the new Diana Krall release, Turn Up The Quiet.

Not sure how I feel about the Purple Rain reissue coming in June. I heard the one unreleased track and...well, it could have stayed in the vault, as Prince had intended. His entire vault is going to turn into one huge money grab for his estate, unfortunately. I already have the B-sides on 12 inch singles.

Not a recent purchase, but I've been in a Brazilian mood today and have been giving a spin to Edu Lobo's LIMITE DAS AGUAS, something that was recommended here a couple of years ago and I downloaded it, but never got around to checking it out. Neat little album with a couple of "A&M-familiar" tunes. I saw it on the shelf and gave it a spin.

51eoEFH6u7L._SS500.jpg

How is the new Depeche, Rudy? I've been hesitant to pick that one up 'cause I didn't think the lead-off single was all that good.

As usual, I've bought a pretty eclectic mix of stuff over the last week or so. In the way of CDs, I picked up the last four Diana Krall discs, Etta James' Tell Mama, Eric Clapton's From the Cradle, Van Halen's Fair Warning and Women and Children First, Miles Davis' 'Round About Midnight, Elvis's 30 #1 Hits, Michael Jackson's HIStory, John Coltrane's A Love Supreme, the first Terence Trent D'Arby album, the Manhattan Transfer's Down in Birdland compilation, and a couple others that escape me. (I didn't really spend as much as it sounds, I swear. :laugh: I grabbed most of them at a book sale for a buck a piece.) Haven't bought nearly as much vinyl lately as normal, but I have recently picked up Yes' Drama, the Manhattan Transfer's Coming Out, a bunch of early Squeeze albums I didn't have (i.e. U.K. Squeeze, Sweets from a Stranger, etc.), and a still-sealed copy of Shoes' Present Tense. On an even more left-field note, I received John Cale's Vintage Violence and B.B. King's Indianola Mississippi Seeds from a friend for my B-day and have been really enjoying those. Very underrated albums.

Bluesy mood this evening - cold needle-like rain falling with fog. Here's where we get paid back for the mild February. Listening to Eric Clapton's Me and Mr. Johnson.

Not a recent purchase, but I've been in a Brazilian mood today and have been giving a spin to Edu Lobo's LIMITE DAS AGUAS,
The title track of this one is "Lobo" from Herb/Hugh. It took many years to find this original version. :wink:

How is the new Depeche, Rudy? I've been hesitant to pick that one up 'cause I didn't think the lead-off single was all that good.
The album lead-off "Going Backwards" is a better song than "Where's The Revolution?" IMHO. I haven't had time to play it much, but it's one of those albums that needs some time to grow on you. I can't say it would be as much of a favorite as their middle period of albums (Black Celebration through Ultra), but those that like it say it has grown on them. It's rather polarizing since others don't care for it much. (Then there's that core group that feels nothing without Alan Wilder is worth listening to.) I actually found the new songs worked better in a live setting. There was a promo concert sponsored by T-Mobile that featured some of them.

Bluesy mood this evening - cold needle-like rain falling with fog. Here's where we get paid back for the mild February.
We have literally had constant rain here for two days straight. Only on my way home from dinner did I see what might be some clear skies.

CD ALERT: If anyone bought Fools Gold (Eagles wannabes & the late Dan Fogelberg's backing band) (self - titled from 1976 which was reissued by Floating World import this year on CD which runs 38:03 in length), it is recorded on vinyl.:mad: I wonder did Floating World lost the master tape?? The booklet with the information about the group is there but no lyrics though. The last song on the CD "Love Me Through And Through" starts on the countdown to the - 00:2 second mark. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Just bought Canadian singer Sarah Slean latest CD "Metaphysics" which has a song called "Sarah" & the song "Not In Vain" which I do like & runs 42:20 in length. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Just got Deborah Berg-McCarthy "Places Where I Dream" (from 1998 NOT 2008) & "No Rush" (2012). Both are country style stuff. The remake of Johnny Mathis 1959 song "Misty" (last song on CD from "Places Where I Dream") is not bad. Still playing Eye To Eye 2005 comeback CD "Clean Slate". Also bought a nice clean copy of the late Frankie Carle "37 Favorites For Dancing" (from 1958 in "Living Stereo" on RCA Victor album) in which has 8 tracks (4 or 5 songs put into a medley of instrumental songs). My late mom & my late dad had that album back then!!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Nice, Rudy! I don't know if they're his best albums necessarily, but Let's Dance and Young Americans are probably the Bowie albums I listen to the most often. ["Modern Love" and "Young Americans" would definitely both have to be in my Top Three Favorite Bowie Songs list. (I'd probably pick "TVC 15" as the third, though I prefer the live version from Stage to the studio version from Station to Station.)]

I ended up trying out the new Depeche Mode album, by the way. Your assessment of it was perfect. "Going Backwards" is definitely a better song than "Where's the Revolution," like you said, and the album is definitely a grower, but it's not bad at all - just one that takes a bit of time to warm up to. One thing I've noticed not just about this album, but their last two albums as well is that Dave Gahan has written a lot of the best material. For someone who never used to contribute to the writing at all, it's interesting to see him step up and provide some of the band's catchier and more traditional-Depeche-Mode-sounding songs as Martin Gore seems to get more and more experimental all the time.

As far as my latest purchases go, I picked up a vinyl copy of Carlene Carter's Rockpile-backed Musical Shapes just last night - fabulous disc; I'd never heard any of her albums before, but now I want to go pick up some more - and also picked up nearly two dozen CDs at a book sale over the weekend, including Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and Enlightenment, Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left, The Smiths' The Queen Is Dead, Springsteen's Tunnel of Love, Peter Gabriel's So, Moody Blues' In Search of the Lost Chord, Grateful Dead's American Beauty, Lindsey Buckingham's Out of the Cradle (criminally underrated album), a replacement for my scratched-up copy of Basia's London Warsaw New York, and - the most obscure one in the lot - Book of Love's Lovebubble (the last of four studio albums from a relatively-little-known late-'80s/early-'90s synth-pop quartet on Sire Records; their album Candy Carol is a longtime favorite of mine.)

I ended up trying out the new Depeche Mode album, by the way. Your assessment of it was perfect. "Going Backwards" is definitely a better song than "Where's the Revolution," like you said, and the album is definitely a grower, but it's not bad at all - just one that takes a bit of time to warm up to.
Some of their albums are like that for me--took me a while to get used to them, but now they are favorites. Like Ultra, which has the three-song run of "Home," "It's No Good" and "Useless." I can't listen to one without the other two. :wink:

So is definitely a landmark for Peter Gabriel--it finally put him on the mainstream map. I was a fan since his fourth album, which I purchased among my first CDs way back around 1983, as an import (Charisma, I believe). I have to say that they did a good job cutting the 45RPM vinyl set and they sound quite good. I am surprised they were able to cut his Up album with most of the dynamics of the SACD release. That album I only ever half warmed to--it seems as though I like maybe half of the tracks on it.

With Bowie's albums, so far I agree--I seem to like the more mainstream albums than some of his more offbeat works. I couldn't yet get into Blackstar for instance, but I have a feeling I need to listen to more of his other work before I get into that one. (It is a dense, complex project.) I can see why he has such a following, though. Aside from his more commercial work, much of what I have sampled so far has been very offbeat and original. Supposedly Heathen and Reality are cut from a similar cloth, pulling together influences from his prior albums (including Let's Dance). I loaded up my SD card with eight Bowie albums for the car, so I will have some time in the coming months to get into these more.

Let's Dance IMHO is definitely a high point. Its only minor flaw might be that all of the hits are front-loaded on the record. But it sounds great, the production is top notch (says this Nile Rodgers fan :wink: ), and how could I not like an early appearance by the great Stevie Ray Vaughan. :D

Good rainy night listen is Painted From Memory. I'm awaiting the Mobile Fidelity vinyl release, which I don't have a concrete date for (nobody but Amazon lists a release date, and Amazon's dates on MoFi releases often is incorrect). The test pressing I heard at AXPONA was stunning. It's limited to 3,000 pressings--it is almost tempting to order two of them, or get the vinyl plus the SACD. This CD was released originally as an HDCD back in 1998.

Diana Krall's newest didn't quite do it for me. At least, not yet. I need to give it a few more listens. I guess I lean towards the albums she featured Claus Ogerman on.

Listening to the Beatles "1" cd. You just about have to sing with it. Was also blasting it at red lights to show the young whipper snappers what GOOD music sounds like. :wink:

That reminds me that I haven't spun any Beatles vinyl in months. It is not something I do regularly but when I do, it's usually anything between A Hard Day's Night and Revolver, and Magical Mystery Tour. There is some huge fuss about some new remix of Sgt. Pepper that was released today, but there's no reason for me to buy it--I might spin the one I already own maybe once every five years. :laugh:

I was spinning an oddball in the car. (Wait...is playing from an SD card really "spinning"? :laugh: ) Many years ago, U2 fans were picking apart the Joshua Tree album and its non-album tracks. Word has it that it was supposed to be a double LP originally. Using interviews with the band members and other bits of evidence to come up with a track order, someone had put together a "restored" version that intermixes the non-album tracks with the original album lineup. I've listened to this restored version for many years now and the songs actually do fit together nicely. Here is the list:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Silver And Gold (Studio Version) *
3. I Still Haven’t Found…
4. Spanish Eyes *
5. With Or Without You
6. Luminous Times *
7. Walk To The Water *
8. Bullet The Blue Sky
9. Running To Stand Still
10. Red Hill Mining Town
11. Race Against Time *
12. In God’s Country
13. Trip Through Your Wires
14. Sweetest Thing *
15. One Tree Hill
16. Deep In The Heart *
17. Exit
18. Mothers Of The Disappeared

* are non-album tracks.

If you have the 2-CD deluxe edition of Joshua Tree, you have what you need to assemble this playlist.

Was thinking about buying the 50th anniversary remix of Sgt. Pepper, but it seems a little rich for my blood. There are several packages; the cheapest of which is $48. The big set includes mono and stereo versions, but that's definitely out of reach. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom