Time for Some Love for Richard!

I'm still secretly hoping that Richard will team up with a few musicians and record a jazz album, preferrably not including any Carpenters tracks... okay maybe one or two then :) But all new material would be nice. Perhaps he could redo some of the tunes that were recorded for RCA back in the 1960s? And the 2 tunes he recorded with The Barries in '62 or '63... With that album out, he could play jazz clubs and jazz festivals all over the world. Would love to see him playing live here in Europe then... Oh well, I can dream, can't I? :wink:

Playing along with The Barries 45 now :banjo:

So today I've been listening to Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor, something I haven't done in quite some time. My appreciation for Richard thus further continues... I've always liked his inspired instrumental compositions, such as "Time" and "Karen's Theme." Listening to the 12-minute medley, it's remarkable how Richard is able to seamlessly flow one song into another. His career was inescapably affiliated with his sister's God-given instrument (her voice). Here he is without that instrument; yet, he is able to to replace the lead vocals and other arrangements with inspired choices. The man knows how to arrange music! The man is the medley king!

Last edited:
^^James, regarding PACC:
I do enjoy that album, I'm partial to how
Look To Your Dreams is presented there.
(One of my favorite songs, regardless)
I Need To Be In Love gets a nice treatment,also.
(Albeit,another of my favorite songs)
Sandy, the song (not Karen's vocals) still a bit plodding too me (and,he adds a choral...no !)
No doubt, he surely did enjoy putting Medleys together.

Richard Clayderman's Carpenters Collection CD presents interesting comparison,
by the way.

So today I've been listening to Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor, something I haven't done in quite some time. My appreciation for Richard thus further continues... I've always liked his inspired instrumental compositions, such as "Time" and "Karen's Theme." Listening to the 12-minute medley, it's remarkable how Richard is able to seamlessly flow one song into another. His career was inescapably affiliated with his sister's God-given instrument (her voice). Here he is without that instrument; yet, he is able to to replace the lead vocals and other arrangements with inspired choices. The man knows how to arrange music! The man is the medley king!

The only highlight of the album was when he included his and Karen's backing vocals at the end of Sandy. I don't think I've ever listened to the album right through more than once. An hour of instrumentals isn't really for me, even if they are performed by Richard Carpenter.

I found it very odd management encouraged or supported the decision to make that album in that stage of his career. Anyone know more? Chris May?

Love the list James. I think too that the list would make a good album. I have Richards Time album and reading all this has made me want to listen to it again. There are some great songs on the album including ' something in your eyes and I'm still not over you ' to name a few.

It is easy to see that the framework and "sound" of all Carpenters songs are from Richard, regardless of who is singing. It is also clear that Karen's voice was the talent that lifted the musical notes off the page and into our hearts. The team was unbeatable in making a solid sound of good records. I have to agree with Walkinat9 that a jazz album without vocals is something I would purchase. The jazz medley of Rudolph on the Christmas CD is proof that it would be quality. With a strict jazz focus and work with other jazz musicians in collaboration would help keep the orchestral concerto sound piano recital approach from being the focus and give a fresh new crisp product in jazz exploration. Scoring for movies as in the Karen Carpenter Story, which sounds great, shows that going in these different directions can focus on Richard without making him appear wounded without Karen for he would be expanding and not trying the same as before with different singers. As a contrast, an occasional guest would be welcome, as his work with Claire de la Fuente singing Something In Your Eyes which was magical. (I wish I could purchase an original copy of it and not be trapped in a YouTube based one for listening pleasure.) But, now in retirement I doubt we would get that jazz infused album. And, as long as new material has a vocal predominance, or contains music that sounds Carpenter-esque, I would always be waiting for an unrealesed Karen song instead, for she was the best in giving a face to Richard's music. And the best thing about that was that it started through his encouragement. One could say that he discovered his own sister.

Jazz, anyone? Let's throw some excitement of anticipation in his direction!

Craig

The only highlight of the album was when he included his and Karen's backing vocals at the end of Sandy. I don't think I've ever listened to the album right through more than once. An hour of instrumentals isn't really for me, even if they are performed by Richard Carpenter.

Is it definitely only Karen and Richard on backing vocals on the version of 'Sandy' on Pianist...? I did listen to it quite recently but it didn't sound very like them to me and more like a 'session singer'-style recreation.

Is it definitely only Karen and Richard on backing vocals on the version of 'Sandy' on Pianist...? I did listen to it quite recently but it didn't sound very like them to me and more like a 'session singer'-style recreation.

That's correct, as Richard pulled the track and backing vocals from the original master for this one. He also did this with Flat Baroque, transferring over the rhythm track featuring Karen and Joe on drums/bass, and re-recorded the piano.

I think you may be referring to the choruses throughout the song... they're done by the ubiquitous OK Chorale, with Richard and Karen buried underneath until the end.

Credits from Richard's album for the track:

Sandy

Written by Richard Carpenter and John Bettis
Published by Almo Music Corp./Hammer and Nails Music (ASCAP)
Arranged by Richard Carpenter
Keyboards: Richard Carpenter
Guitars: Tim May and Tony Peluso
Bass: Joe Osborn
Drums: Jim Gordon
Vocals: The O.K. Chorale, Karen and Richard Carpenter

That's correct, as Richard pulled the track and backing vocals from the original master for this one.

I got goosebumps when I first heard it, because it revealed harmonies which are virtually inaudible on the album version, especially Richard's bass part.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I'm going to go against the grain here. On the PACC version of "Sandy", while I definitely hear Richard and Karen on the backing vocal track recorded for HUSH, I also hear some new voices not belonging to either Karen or Richard. They are all mixed together, but it's more than just Karen & Richard.

Sorry, but I'm going to go against the grain here. On the PACC version of "Sandy", while I definitely hear Richard and Karen on the backing vocal track recorded for HUSH, I also hear some new voices not belonging to either Karen or Richard. They are all mixed together, but it's more than just Karen & Richard.

I've edited my above post to show you that's the case, with the credits from Richard's album for the track.

And, too, Sandy (on PACC)
replaces Cubby O'brien on drums with Jim Gordon's Drum-work.
That is one I do not understand.....
The credits also state Synthesizer, Jeffrey Vanston.....
I thought Richard was against such...

That's correct, as Richard pulled the track and backing vocals from the original master for this one. He also did this with Flat Baroque, transferring over the rhythm track featuring Karen and Joe on drums/bass, and re-recorded the piano.
Those aren't the only two tracks where Richard just pulled the original masters for song. He also pulled the original master from the Veronique album for All Those Years Ago and just deleted Veronique's vocals.

I'd actually like to take a moment to thank Richard for making me / us aware of other recording artists that might be of interest to C's fans.

Through the Coleman book, print & broadcast interviews over the years and the "Fans Ask" section of his website, fans have become aware of various recording artists who either influenced the C's "sound" or who were admired by RC & KC.

The following artists immediately come to mind: Les Paul & Mary Ford; Patti Page; Matt Monro; Perry Como; the Andrews' Sisters; John Gary; Red Nichols; and Spike Jones.

Feel free to add to the list, as I'm sure I've missed a few others.

I so wish he would have (or still would) work on a soundtrack for a movie. I agree that his talent & musical choices are so fantastic - but sadly, so terribly underutilized these last several years...

I so wish he would have (or still would) work on a soundtrack for a movie. I agree that his talent & musical choices are so fantastic - but sadly, so terribly underutilized these last several years...

You are so right, Barry. It seems that a movie soundtrack would be in Richard's wheelhouse...

I enjoy the Time album.

There's some really nice stuff on there!
Sounds a bit dated now. It's unfortunate how quickly those 80s synths just... don't sound as advanced as now... lol

"Remind me to tell you" is one I like from there.
I actually wish we knew a little bit more about that album itself.

"Say Yeah!" isn't that bad as some make it out to be, imo.
That section the "yeahs"... I don't know how many vocal overdubs that is, but a great rockin' leading up to the chorus/outro.

I used to listen to it (Time) quite regularly but not at all anymore. It wore quickly. I liked the harmony on Who Do You Love and Say Yeah. The tunes were Carpenter like and that it what first attracted me, but the vocal appeal that I feel with Karen was missing and it was well noticed after a short time. I do feel Richard has more strength as an arranger, producer, song writer, than a vocalist.

I love many of the performances at the piano that Richard did live on television at the time that 'Voice of the Heart' was released. The piano parts were quite a bit more intricate and elaborate than the parts that were recorded on his CD, 'Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor'. Also, I liked the fact that there was just piano and no other instrument. These live performances appeared to be faultless and Richard poured so much feeling into them while paying tribute to his recently deceased sister. When I first heard 'Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor', I wished it was full of music like those live performances. I could listen to music like that all day.

It has been amusing reading the news reports of the comedian Seinfeld and his
resistance to hugging a stranger--in this instance, he would not hug Kesha-- when she asked.
(I do not know who she is--or, not until this episode arose--now, I understand she is a singer).
But, back to the relevance here....
I know Richard Carpenter has gotten a bad rap sometimes for his personality,
but, I must say--when I met him in 1985 (I being, what, 23...) he actually
shook my hand with zest and pleasure. I had not brought anything for him to sign,
to get his autograph after his performance at Epcot--so, all of a sudden I blurted out
"can I shake your hand?" and, he did not skip a beat, and he said "Sure,"
and he reached out and gave me a hearty,firm, handshake.
I may not remember the performance, but, I do remember his heartfelt reaction at that time.
I often wonder, does he remember that moment ?
Anyway, it has stayed with me all these years.
Thanks, Richard Carpenter !

Back
Top Bottom