Do you know anyone who has collected all (or most) things "Carpenter"?

The aforementioned Passage Poster is en route.....
but, as soon as it is in my care, I will try to upload same.

Did you ever get your 'Passage' poster, GaryAlan? Sounds great!

When I was in my early teens, I always wanted a Carpenters poster but couldn't find a way to get hold of one. Therefore, when I hit my 20's, I went into poster collecting big-time. I must have over twenty Carpenters posters. Some of them are:-
'A Kind of Hush' promo 36"x36";
Japanese 36x24, same photo as a Japanese 'Top of the World' EP;
Large colour poster of K&R from same 1969 photo session as back cover of 'Ticket to Ride' from 1970 Aussie Go-set mag, probably about 36x24;
'Very Best of the Carpenters' Aussie promo poster 36x24;
Aussie promo poster for 'Only Yesterday - Their Greatest Hits', 36x24;
Japanese promo showing a large 1981-ish photo of K&R & a lot of their album covers, 36x24;
1973 fan club poster featuring K&R & a plant (!), rose coloured background, a bit smaller than 36x24;
'Made in America' cover poster from fan club, 36x24;
Fan club poster, photo about 1977 / 78, Karen in red, Richard in stars & stripes;
'Christmas Portrait' UK promo, folded, 36x24. The pic of the actual album cover is only 12x12 & the rest of the photo features a massive, ugly chimney and Father Christmas, just as ugly, (I think - I'm writing from memory);
1971 B&w shot, 1971, I think K&R in same clothes as on the 'Carpenters' tan album cover, a bit smaller than 36x24;
'Voice of the Heart' promo, square, probably 24x24;
Big close-up shots of K&R's faces, each taking up half of the poster, 36x24;
Japanese inner-poster for the 'Horizon' LP, folded, 36x24;
Aussie Poster flat for 'Singles, 1969-1981';
And there would be a few more.
All of the above are originals. Then I have two of those copies that they are selling on eBay. At least they are on strong paper and have good colours.
One time I got badly ripped off by someone who said they had a 'Now and Then' promo poster, as well as a couple of other posters. The posters didn't ever arrive. I was already a bit dubious about whether 'Now and Then' posters even existed, actually. (This was before internet days, So you couldn't at least see a photo). I've never heard of 'Now and Then' posters anywhere else. Has anybody here ever seen one?
I finally joined the 'Carpenters' fan club in the mid-80's. When I joined, the 'Ticket to Ride' cover poster and the 'A Song for You' inner-photo poster had just sold out.
Three posters I would have liked to get would be the large poster of the 'Horizon' cover shot, which I've seen, the 'Ticket to Ride' cover shot and the 'Karen Carpenter' promo with Karen in an armchair, dressed in white.

Did you ever get your 'Passage' poster, GaryAlan? Sounds great!

When I was in my early teens, I always wanted a Carpenters poster but couldn't find a way to get hold of one. Therefore, when I hit my 20's, I went into poster collecting big-time. I must have over twenty Carpenters posters. Some of them are:-
'A Kind of Hush' promo 36"x36";
Japanese 36x24, same photo as a Japanese 'Top of the World' EP;
Large colour poster of K&R from same 1969 photo session as back cover of 'Ticket to Ride' from 1970 Aussie Go-set mag, probably about 36x24;
'Very Best of the Carpenters' Aussie promo poster 36x24;
Aussie promo poster for 'Only Yesterday - Their Greatest Hits', 36x24;
Japanese promo showing a large 1981-ish photo of K&R & a lot of their album covers, 36x24;
1973 fan club poster featuring K&R & a plant (!), rose coloured background, a bit smaller than 36x24;
'Made in America' cover poster from fan club, 36x24;
Fan club poster, photo about 1977 / 78, Karen in red, Richard in stars & stripes;
'Christmas Portrait' UK promo, folded, 36x24. The pic of the actual album cover is only 12x12 & the rest of the photo features a massive, ugly chimney and Father Christmas, just as ugly, (I think - I'm writing from memory);
1971 B&w shot, 1971, I think K&R in same clothes as on the 'Carpenters' tan album cover, a bit smaller than 36x24;
'Voice of the Heart' promo, square, probably 24x24;
Big close-up shots of K&R's faces, each taking up half of the poster, 36x24;
Japanese inner-poster for the 'Horizon' LP, folded, 36x24;
Aussie Poster flat for 'Singles, 1969-1981';
And there would be a few more.
All of the above are originals. Then I have two of those copies that they are selling on eBay. At least they are on strong paper and have good colours.
One time I got badly ripped off by someone who said they had a 'Now and Then' promo poster, as well as a couple of other posters. The posters didn't ever arrive. I was already a bit dubious about whether 'Now and Then' posters even existed, actually. (This was before internet days, So you couldn't at least see a photo). I've never heard of 'Now and Then' posters anywhere else. Has anybody here ever seen one?
I finally joined the 'Carpenters' fan club in the mid-80's. When I joined, the 'Ticket to Ride' cover poster and the 'A Song for You' inner-photo poster had just sold out.
Three posters I would have liked to get would be the large poster of the 'Horizon' cover shot, which I've seen, the 'Ticket to Ride' cover shot and the 'Karen Carpenter' promo with Karen in an armchair, dressed in white.

Your poster collection is beautiful, Brian! I'm a bit envious. I don't think I'd have the space!! :D

Your poster collection is beautiful, Brian! I'm a bit envious. I don't think I'd have the space!! :D
Thanks! To be honest, Mr. Ninja Rabbit, most of the posters are in a wardrobe or still rolled up in postage tubes. It makes you wonder why we collectors actually collect. :) Although some of the posters have had outings for displays at various times. And I used to have a number of them on the wall at one stage.

^^Brian, I do have that Passage Poster.
It, and the Karen Carpenter Solo Poster are my two favorite Posters.
Many of the Japanese Pressings come with Posters:
Close To You, Horizon, Live In Japan....to name a few.
I must say, the collection of memorabilia related to Passage is my favorite stash:
From 1977.... Press Kit, Cup, Poster, A&M Passage Shirt.

^^Chris, At this moment, I do not have the capability to post a pic of the album,
but, I'll search for the ebay picture of that listing (I might have that in a folder).
Also, keep in mind I do not know if the signatures are authentic--I have my doubts,
as I paid virtually nothing for the LP, but....who really knows--......usually,
I compare to the signatures on the fan club promo pictures
(or, Karen's signature from the 1979 fan club notice regarding her solo venture).

I'm fairly new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is stepping out of the rules - But I did find an original 1st pressing sealed copy of A Song for You in my collection - no yellowing whatsoever, with original hype sticker on front, and price tag for a price of "$1.50" on the back that if anyone were interested in trading or what not could private message me.

An update on my latest memorabilia acquisition:

Mint condition
1974 A&M Superstar Teaching Machine Carpenters' 45-record with poster.
The front of this recording sports an illustrative duplication of the photo
we see on the cover of From The Top Liner Notes.

The criteria for my collection has always been on the audiophile side only (not that I don't have a few ads, mags, fan club letters etc.). My latest addition is the Carpenters Collected, 2-LP white audiophile 180g vinyl, with Richard's signature. Glad to see the vinyls coming back.

The criteria for my collection has always been on the audiophile side only (not that I don't have a few ads, mags, fan club letters etc.). My latest addition is the Carpenters Collected, 2-LP white audiophile 180g vinyl, with Richard's signature. Glad to see the vinyls coming back.
Have you played the vinyl yet? Interesting to hear how it sounds and what does Richard think of this 2 LP white vinyl set? Did you get a low edition #?

So, in the above 'teaching machine' Carpenters' 45-single is:
Rainy Days And Mondays/Yesterday Once More
#SP-17001
YOM taken from Now & Then
RDAM taken from Carpenters
The 18X18 Poster is from 1976 Hush Sessions.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "teaching machine"? And how does it relate to these records?

^^These (1970's) 'machines' were used to help children learn to read.
The idea was to include a record so that the children could sing along and learn how to read.
I do not have the actual 'machine'...simply the package that came with the offering,
which included the Carpenters' portion : A 45-record and poster, plus reading material.
Before bidding on this item (ebay) I had remembered seeing it in a record collector's book years ago.
Happily, the details were still online--google books--so, I cross-checked numbers, etc. to
verify authenticity.
The Carpenters' record and poster is an actual A&M product !
See here (middle of page):
Goldmine Standard Catalog of American Records 1948-1991

I have what many in here have - all of the vinyl, a bunch of CD compilations, DVDs, books, etc.

A few years ago I was president of the Missouri Choral Directors association, part of the American Choral Directors Assiciation. I contacted the headquarters and asked if they had a specific journal with an article on the Carpenters. I spoke with a lady who I had worked closely with as a State president and she sent me a copy as thanks for my work for the organization.
It has the article written by Frank Pooler “The Choral Sound of the Carpenters”

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom