Japanese Mini-LPs

Someday

Hi all

Just received my first mini-lp from Japan, via ebay. I ordered a copy of Horizon really out of curiosity; I'm in the UK and it cost £24.00. Although expensive to collect, they are beautifully produced, so think I may get another ...

I've been thinking about getting some too, they are all around £20 which is pricey so I want to make sure it is worth it.. Is the disc the same design as the label on the original vinyl disc ?

Hi Simon. That's what I've been wondering. My Horizon came with just a generic disc; plain metallic with the logo and title printed under it. I've seen photos of others, however, which do seem to replicate the original vinyl label (much preferred, obviously). In all other ways it is a solid replica, complete with "flap" sleeve, inner sleeve, & bonus lyric sheet and mini-poster :)

Hi Simon. That's what I've been wondering. My Horizon came with just a generic disc; plain metallic with the logo and title printed under it. I've seen photos of others, however, which do seem to replicate the original vinyl label (much preferred, obviously). In all other ways it is a solid replica, complete with "flap" sleeve, inner sleeve, & bonus lyric sheet and mini-poster :)

Thanks For The Info !

Seems like the disk label is the most unpredictable thing about the mini-LPs. I've seen some that replicate the original exactly, and others where the rest of the package is spot-on but the disk label is slightly or vastly different. It's a crapshoot. I think some labels do it better than others.

They are definitely worth having.

The 30th and 35th Anniversary releases replicated the US album covers and had the labels replicated on the CD

The newer Japanese mini LP releases replicate the inserts/posters etc but the CD is plain

I love these releases. I really would love a similar US singles release...

Nick

I wold have loved A&M to offer a "nighttime" version in blues as this seems like the sunset version in oranges.

I've got
Passage and Close To You...
they are (or--at least the discs I have) replicas of virtually everything
found in the Japanese Pressings of the original LP (inserts, posters, etc.).
The actual cd is SHM, there is an insert which replicates the Album center design itself.
If you can find inexpensive copies, they are nice to have !

Interesting that Christmas Portrait appears to be the 1978 version and not the special edition. Link: Christmas Portrait [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Carpenters CD Album
If you look down further, it mentions that the 1996 Remaster was used. So it is the 1978 album in terms of track order, but its the Christmas Collection version. It's too bad that Richard or Universal don't just borrow a West German CD printing from someone and use that as the master. Sure, its not the quality of the original tapes, or do they have the ability to make the recordings any clearer, but still, the West Germany CD is a high-quality digital LPCM copy of the original analog tapes that no longer exist.

If you look down further, it mentions that the 1996 Remaster was used. So it is the 1978 album in terms of track order, but its the Christmas Collection version. It's too bad that Richard or Universal don't just borrow a West German CD printing from someone and use that as the master. Sure, its not the quality of the original tapes, or do they have the ability to make the recordings any clearer, but still, the West Germany CD is a high-quality digital LPCM copy of the original analog tapes that no longer exist.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying; too good to be true.

Back
Top Bottom