Small parts of Carpenters songs that hook you

Since we're on a Horizon roll.... I used to wear Solitaire out when the song was new... Particularly, the added organ snippets that RC added on the single rendition. Even now, when it plays - I review that segment, wishing it was turned up in the mix even a little louder... I wonder as I write this, did the 45 have it louder than the Gold version? hmmm

Addendum: Just You tubed the single... (love that organ!) man oh man... that song kills. the ending particularly.

'Solitaire' used to hypnotise me when it was a single being played on the radio. I must have listened to it a million times over the years. If I did play a snippet of a song over and over again, it would be the very last 'Solitaire' in the song, just to enjoy Karen's warm, rich, deep tone and that long-held note.

A snippet of a song that I actually have played over and over is the first section of 'California Dreaming' before the drums come in and the tempo speeds up. The melancholy of it is delicious. Of course, it's partly the melody and the background meaning to the lyrics that gives the opening verse such impact. But Richard has also created a wonderful piano arrangement to underpin the whole thing. Then add Karen's brilliant, emotive vocal and you have a perfect combination for such a song. An amazing vocal in that first section for a seventeen-year-old girl. Just piano and voice, and the effect is heavenly.

'Solitaire' used to hypnotise me when it was a single being played on the radio. I must have listened to it a million times over the years. If I did play a snippet of a song over and over again, it would be the very last 'Solitaire' in the song, just to enjoy Karen's warm, rich, deep tone and that long-held note.

A snippet of a song that I actually have played over and over is the first section of 'California Dreaming' before the drums come in and the tempo speeds up. The melancholy of it is delicious. Of course, it's partly the melody and the background meaning to the lyrics that gives the opening verse such impact. But Richard has also created a wonderful piano arrangement to underpin the whole thing. Then add Karen's brilliant, emotive vocal and you have a perfect combination for such a song. An amazing vocal in that first section for a seventeen-year-old girl. Just piano and voice, and the effect is heavenly.
Agree with your comment concerning California Dreamin'. I always wondered if this song might had been included in the "demos" that Herb Alpert heard before he signed the duo. Love it when Karen comes out of the operatic intro and just belts out; "stopped into a CHURCH!" Her voice had an "edge" at that point that I wish she would've used more during her career. And at 17 yrs, she is playing drums that proficiently, when she took up the instrument at 15 yrs?! AMAZING!!

Speaking of "Superstar", I often wonder does Miss Karen ever take a breath during this lyric: "Loneliness is such a sad affair, and I can hardly wait to be with you again"? It doesn't sound like it and if not, that's just astounding breath control!

Speaking of "Superstar", I often wonder does Miss Karen ever take a breath during this lyric: "Loneliness is such a sad affair, and I can hardly wait to be with you again"? It doesn't sound like it and if not, that's just astounding breath control!

If she could ever improve on her vocal for 'Superstar', she does so in the 1971 televised BBC live performance. Speaking of breath control, on the BBC, she sings, "Baby, baby, baby, baby oh baby, I love you...." all in one breath, which she doesn't do on the record, and somehow, it gives the chorus even more impact.

Although Karen's ability to sing lengthy phrases without a breath is well known, she doesn't in this particular case. I've indicated the breaths below (marked "/"):

Loneliness (/) is such a sad affair (/), and I can hardly wait to be with you again.

So the last half is done in one breath, but not the whole thing.

Even just the last half of that phrase is quite impressive. I wonder then, what is Karen's longest one-breath phrase? I'm sure it must have been documented by someone...

At one point I seem to remember that the opening verse of Goodbye to Love was the longest phrase on a breath. But, it wouldn't surprise me if Karen singing "kiss" in From This Moment On didn't edge it out.

Even just the last half of that phrase is quite impressive. I wonder then, what is Karen's longest one-breath phrase? I'm sure it must have been documented by someone...

This one must rank up there in the top two or three:

"Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by and all I know of love is how to live without it"

If she could ever improve on her vocal for 'Superstar', she does so in the 1971 televised BBC live performance. Speaking of breath control, on the BBC, she sings, "Baby, baby, baby, baby oh baby, I love you...." all in one breath, which she doesn't do on the record, and somehow, it gives the chorus even more impact.
Her live performances on that BBC TV special solidified my conversion as a Karen Carpenter fanatic. The entire presentation was a giant "chill fest" for me. And her doing Superstar with that little dance/sway move in between stanzas, definitely an OMG moment for sure...:)

I haven't listened to Sailing On The Tide for a long time, but with all the discussion on Passage lately I thought I'd revisit the out takes, including You're The One. I'm not completely sold on some of the lyrics (the chorus is a bit Sesame Street somehow, though I really enjoy Sing these days so I'm not consistent in my logic). However, I love the instrumental section at the end and have been listening to it a lot lately. Joe Osborn's bass playing is particularly impressive. It reminds me of the ending of Happy in a way, which maybe isn't surprising given the Tony Peluso connection. They both even have that snippet of clapping that's reminiscent of that bit in the Friends theme tune).

A bit off topic, but let's just call it a "palate cleanser". Why we love Karen (all Karens). One of the great baby boomer female names (my wife's name is Karen). The greatest "Karen" moment in cinematic history;

And, for those who haven't heard the song
Something's Missing....
there is a place near the end of the song when Karen holds the lyric
"...pride..."
Strong, clear as a bell, soaring to great heights....
It grabs me every time......

And, for those who haven't heard the song
Something's Missing....
there is a place near the end of the song when Karen holds the lyric
"...pride..."
Strong, clear as a bell, soaring to great heights....
It grabs me every time......

I like that note too!

What Are You Doing New Year's Eve:
Every instance where Karen sings the lyric,
"...received..." her vocals soar......
(especially, in the later half of the song)

In any event, great song for Karen's vocal register and nuances.

What Are You Doing New Year's Eve:
Every instance where Karen sings the lyric,
"...received..." her vocals soar......
(especially, in the later half of the song)

The point where she sings this towards the end of the song also signals the key change, a lovely touch. This has always been my favourite of all the Christmas tracks they recorded and definitely my favourite KC Christmas vocal (although there are many which technically are more difficult or impressive, like Ave Maria and Little Altar Boy).

This has always been my favourite of all the Christmas tracks they recorded and definitely my favourite KC Christmas vocal (although there are many which technically are more difficult or impressive, like Ave Maria and Little Altar Boy).
The Carpenters recorded the rarely heard opening verse of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "The Christmas Song", and "White Christmas". "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" also has an opening verse, but the Carpenters recording omits it. I wonder why? There's a question I would like to ask Richard! (Chris May, are you listening?) :)

The Carpenters recorded the rarely heard opening verse of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "The Christmas Song", and "White Christmas". "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" also has an opening verse, but the Carpenters recording omits it. I wonder why? There's a question I would like to ask Richard! (Chris May, are you listening?) :)

I didn't even know that the song had an opening verse. That would be a great question to ask Richard!

I love this thread! haha
All of you sharing the moments we can hardly put into words.
Awesome to see like minded people bring up those goose bump moments.

Karen delivered many, and the fact that she didn't have to do many takes is incredible.

I like the rare moments that don't seem planned too.
I've listened to Ordinary Fool more lately. There's a little "mmm" at the end of Ordinary Fool that gives it a nice finish.
Her little things like in "Last one singing the blues" saying "don't forget the break".
What a great thing to leave in! haha
Evertime I say it with her. XD
Or the extended version of "Let me be the one" where she goes "figure out where the rest of the melody is..."
I'd love to hear more studio chatter. Just a little more goofing. :wink:
Gives it character for sure.

My other favourite for a small part would have to go to "Without a song"... it hooks me every time. Headphones or Loud speakers. Just that beginning minute turns me into melted butter. :)

I watched biographies on YouTube this past weekend and took a break while watching the Bob Hope Special with the A Song For You performance by the Carpenters and it reminded me that the vocal overdubs after the phrase listen to the melody.... is the phrase.... the love is in there hiding....it is one of my favorite sections in a Carpenters song...perfect harmony!

I so love the concert footage/vocals (thinking Australia 1972) of Karen singing Make It Easy On Yourself, Any Day Now, and her impromptu live rendition of A House Is Not A Home on MYOKOM that I wish these songs could have been included on albums as "stand alone" tracks. Maybe on the non-existent 1974 studio album; should it have been allowed to happen...Pull them out of the medley like you did with I'll Never Fall In Love Again on the "Close To You" album. But having the medley included on the 1971 ST album assured that this would never come to pass. Just awesome Karen performances IMHO.

[SNIP]

I had not listened to 'Solitaire' in a long time. Just listened to it. My God. "Hypnotize" is right. I know it's subjective, but is there a song that better displays Karen's vocal acumen? Just amazing.

Back
Top Bottom