50th Anniversary Special

Song4uman

was just thinking this morning how cool it would be if there were a tv special to honor their signing to A&M. I know that won't happen but how cool to have a welcome by Richard and a video montage then have an emcee and all of these current artist who say they were influenced by Karen and the Carpenters would perform their music. Maybe even a new tribute album released from those performances and then a release from Richard of their own work.
Jonathan

was just thinking this morning how cool it would be if there were a tv special to honor their signing to A&M. I know that won't happen but how cool to have a welcome by Richard and a video montage then have an emcee and all of these current artist who say they were influenced by Karen and the Carpenters would perform their music. Maybe even a new tribute album released from those performances and then a release from Richard of their own work.
Jonathan
I think there was another thread where the recent Grammy honors the BeeGees special was mentioned and many agreed with your thoughts here!

With the way the internet is moving, maybe there could be a netflix special, or some on-line situation. I'm still hoping for one or two more vault releases... One can dream, can't one?! :wink:

I myself wouldn't be interested in other people singing Carpenters songs. I would be interested in some unseen Carpenters film clips or cleaned-up concert footage of performances that haven't appeared on DVD yet. Remastered from the originals, instead of blurry. I'd love to see 'Help', from the Peggy Fleming special, in pristine visual quality, plus the 'Yellow Brick Road' version of 'Those Good Old Dreams', the Brazilian Sugarloaf Mountain clip of 'Touch Me When We're Dancing' and 'Sometimes', from 'Robert Young With the Young', to name a few, (plus the 1972 Tokyo concert and the 1976 Japanese concert). All have to have perfect audio and visual quality. :)

Last edited:
I myself wouldn't be interested in other people singing Carpenters songs. I would be interested in some unseen Carpenters film clips or cleaned-up concert footage of performances that haven't appeared on DVD yet. Remastered from the originals, instead of blurry. I'd love to see 'Help', from the Peggy Fleming special, in pristine visual quality, plus the 'Yellow Brick Road' version of 'Those Good Old Dreams', the Brazilian Sugarloaf Mountain clip of 'Touch Me When We're Dancing' and 'Sometimes', from 'Robert Young With the Young', to name a few, (plus the 1972 Tokyo concert and the 1976 Japanese concert). All have to have perfect audio and visual quality. :)

You have to realize that a lot of those 1970's specials were shot on composite NTSC, PAL or SECAM videotape. Just look at the Perry Como Christmas Show DVD. It was originally shot on 2-inch NTSC composite videotape, which is even lower quality than newer Standard-Definition formats such as the analog Betacam SP and the digital Mini-DV & Digital Betacam (although 2-inch is still Broadcast Quality). Not to mention, but the camera's used in those specials, especially if it was being shot on Videotape, were using vacuum tubes to process the optical image into an electronic image. The vacuum tubes caused the center of the screen to be the sharpest location, whereas the outer areas of the image, when compared to camera's brought out after 1985 with CCD and in the 2000's CMOS chips, were softer (even taking into consideration depth of field) where the image tends to be sharp right across the whole image on post-1985 camera's.

You have to realize that a lot of those 1970's specials were shot on composite NTSC, PAL or SECAM videotape. Just look at the Perry Como Christmas Show DVD. It was originally shot on 2-inch NTSC composite videotape, which is even lower quality than newer Standard-Definition formats such as the analog Betacam SP and the digital Mini-DV & Digital Betacam (although 2-inch is still Broadcast Quality). Not to mention, but the camera's used in those specials, especially if it was being shot on Videotape, were using vacuum tubes to process the optical image into an electronic image. The vacuum tubes caused the center of the screen to be the sharpest location, whereas the outer areas of the image, when compared to camera's brought out after 1985 with CCD and in the 2000's CMOS chips, were softer (even taking into consideration depth of field) where the image tends to be sharp right across the whole image on post-1985 camera's.
Thanks for the info, Tom Swift. That's interesting. The Perry Como special looks pretty good on my equipmen, though. I'd be happy with anything equal to that in quality, as long as the footage was of The Carpenters. The trouble is, I can't think of one current-day artist who I like / respect / would be the least bit interested in watching, even if they were singing Carpenters songs or talking about the influence of Karen or Richard. I would be interested in hearing people who had met or worked with K&R reminiscing, but better than this would be unseen or improved footage of Carpenters themselves. :)

I wouldn't be all that interested. I only thought that if newer people were singing then a whole new audience might find out about them.

I'd prefer to see rare footage and hear from their contemporaries; Manilow, Midler, Streisand, James Taylor, Carly Simon, Olivia etc. It's great they influenced many newer, or not so new performers (Madonna) but I personally did not like If I Were a Carpenter. It was a bit too out there for me and I am not sure anyone can do their music justice. I just keep hearing Karen sing and it jars me. I do agree that there should be something to mark the occassion, especially to make up for all the crap they were given over the years. Hopefully the UK will do something as the C's are still very popular here.

I'd prefer to see rare footage and hear from their contemporaries; Manilow, Midler, Streisand, James Taylor, Carly Simon, Olivia etc. It's great they influenced many newer, or not so new performers (Madonna) but I personally did not like If I Were a Carpenter. It was a bit too out there for me and I am not sure anyone can do their music justice. I just keep hearing Karen sing and it jars me. I do agree that there should be something to mark the occassion, especially to make up for all the crap they were given over the years. Hopefully the UK will do something as the C's are still very popular here.
Maybe if Barry does another dream duet lp - Karen could be included... That would be interesting, although he stated that there wasn't anything he could find that could work for the original version.....

Maybe if Barry does another dream duet lp - Karen could be included... That would be interesting, although he stated that there wasn't anything he could find that could work for the original version.....

He said in an interview that he couldn't use anything from the Carpenters catalogue so had a listen through her solo album and didn't find anything he could work with on there either.

It's not out of the realms of possibility that BBC FOUR could do a special. Just Richard sitting at the mixing deck dissecting key songs from their career.

They just did a variation on this for " Sgt. Pepper's" 50th and it was ace.

That would be a joy.

It's not out of the realms of possibility that BBC FOUR could do a special. Just Richard sitting at the mixing deck dissecting key songs from their career.

That would be a joy.
Sounds good!

That would be a joy.

YES! THIS is what I'd love to see!

Fleetwood Mac did this in interviews for one episode of the series "Classic Albums", featuring their album Rumours. I think the entire album was dissected by the band, track by track, sometimes with their studio engineer alongside them. Brian May also did it with Bohemian Rhapsody for a Queen documentary extra bonus clip.

Fascinating stuff. I'd be in heaven listening to Richard do this with an album like A Song For You. He's never really gone behind the scenes and explained in this level of detail how their sound was created.

My daughter had asked for some vinyl for her birthday and got a Relient K album and also a set of Relient K 7" records. They are all colored vinyl. They look so cool and actually sound really good. What are your thoughts on colored vinyl? I looked on line and there are some who hate it and say it is bad and others who say it is just as good as the black vinyl.

On some of the site that are selling vinyl online, I have seen some that are even multi colored albums.

I was thinking how cool it would be to have colored vinyl in the repackaged 50th anniversary set.

Thinking things like A Song for You - red vinyl, Made in America - split red/white, Carpenters - Gold, etc.

Also was thinking that for Offering/Ticket, it could be a gatefold. The front and back of the gatefold could be the album covers for the two albums and the inside could be the back side...(even though they say the same thing), but only 1 album since they are the same album...

Maybe a dumb idea and probably not going to happen, but I was thinking it could be really cool and might even draw others in to the Carpenters....
JOnathan

since we're throwing ideas out there... I sure would so like to hear one or two more new songs... from those vaults... for the 50th.

I can dream, can't I?

since we're throwing ideas out there... I sure would so like to hear one or two more new songs... from those vaults... for the 50th.

I can dream, can't I?

Wouldn't we all love the same? I don't think we're going to get it, though, so we'll have to live with dreaming, I guess. I would love an interview/discussion/remembrances with Richard and John Bettis and/or any remaining touring band members, but I want anecdotes about shows and life on the road, not so much a "memorial of Karen" if that makes sense? I'd also love a release of any and all TV appearances on one compilation. I don't care what the quality is. I know most of it is online (God bless you, Ned Nickerson, wherever you are), but I'd like it all in once place since some things have been pulled from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom