Made in America - skips on LP?

K.C. Jr

Does anyone else's copy of Made in America have blatant skips? Both copies of mine do, most noticeably during "Touch Me When We're Dancing" and sections of a couple of other songs.

Neither came from the same area or even the same state, so did I just manage to score two "duds", or is this a common problem?

Are there any visible scratches on the record? A lot of times scratches caused the record to skip, especially if the record was being played when kids were around and were either jumping to the music or just bumping the stereo with toys (or I remember at my grandparents place if someone, kid or adult, walked by the stereo, just the floors vibration would cause the needle to skip, and then some records would have permanent skips). It could also be that a batch was made with poor quality vinyl or even a worn out metal master.

Are there any visible scratches on the record? A lot of times scratches caused the record to skip, especially if the record was being played when kids were around and were either jumping to the music or just bumping the stereo with toys (or I remember at my grandparents place if someone, kid or adult, walked by the stereo, just the floors vibration would cause the needle to skip, and then some records would have permanent skips). It could also be that a batch was made with poor quality vinyl or even a worn out metal master.
I've experienced this phenomenon with new vinyl skipping one example is the A&M vinyl version of Herb Alpert's Magic man on the song "This one's for me". I had 2 copies of the lp for years At the middle and end of the song there were skips and even when they were new out of the package I figured years later it was probably a combination of the album being pressed on poor quality vinyl and or a worn metal master situation might be the culprit but now that I have the CD and MP3 VERSIONS I Don't have any more skipping problems so this is just one example out of several I've had

Nope, no scratches before or since opening. Both were sealed when I received them.

I've experienced this phenomenon with new vinyl skipping one example is the A&M vinyl version of Herb Alpert's Magic man on the song "This one's for me". I had 2 copies of the lp for years At the middle and end of the song there were skips and even when they were new out of the package I figured years later it was probably a combination of the album being pressed on poor quality vinyl and or a worn metal master situation might be the culprit but now that I have the CD and MP3 VERSIONS I Don't have any more skipping problems so this is just one example out of several I've had
That sounds exactly like what's happening! Thanks for clarifying.

I think I bought one of the original pressings when it was first released and it never skipped. And it was played on a variety of turntables over the years. The only wear on it is from me playing it repeatedly until I bought the CD, then the Remasterd Classic CD. I prefer the Remastered Classic over all the other choices that were/are available. I know that there is a revival over turntables and vinyl but at 600.00 and constant cartridge replacements, I’d rather use my Sony BlueRay DVD which cost less with zero maintenance and to my ears has a better clarity and better imaging with decent speakers. A CD/DVD with the good amp/preamp/speakers has always been a better solution to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom