EXCLUSIVE: "Can't Smile Without You" answered!

Simon KC1950

Hi,

A short while ago there was a discussion about the many theories concerning the re-recording of "Can't Smile Without You" in 1978. Many suggestions including it potentially being a new single, or even just Karen wanting to improve.
so why did they remake it?

I asked Richard this.

Here is his response today:

"The main reason was because I wasn't quite happy with my first arrangement."

A short while ago there was a discussion about the many theories concerning the re-recording of "Can't Smile Without You". I asked Richard this. Here is his response today: "The main reason was because I wasn't quite happy with my first arrangement."
Thanks for letting us know of this, Simon. That's interesting. To me, it seems that the version on the 'B' side of 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft', (and 'The Singles, 1974 -78'), is almost over-embellished, instrumentally.

By the way, I don't think it's a re-recording. I think it's the same recording with just a few more instruments added to the mix and a different first-verse vocal by Karen punched in, then reverting back to her original vocal for the rest of the song. At least, that's what it's always sounded like to me.

Hi,

A short while ago there was a discussion about the many theories concerning the re-recording of "Can't Smile Without You" in 1978. Many suggestions including it potentially being a new single, or even just Karen wanting to improve.
so why did they remake it?

I asked Richard this.

Here is his response today:

"The main reason was because I wasn't quite happy with my first arrangement."

how do you keep getting in touch with him !?

By the way, I don't think it's a re-recording. I think it's the same recording with just a few more instruments added to the mix and a different first-verse vocal by Karen punched in, then reverting back to her original vocal for the rest of the song. At least, that's what it's always sounded like to me.

Correct.

It's interesting also as a fan made video of Can't Smile Without You (version 2) has over 7 million views on Youtube, making it the duo's third most popular non-single track on the platform, after Love Me For What I Am (12M) , and I Have You (7.3M).

Back
Top Bottom