Does Herb get the royalties he deserves on Biggie's Hypnotize single?

Steven J. Gross

The song is a mega seller, one of rap music's biggest hits, and the song revolves around the "Rise" sample. Regardless of the writer, it was a Herb Alpert performed hit song....

The song is a mega seller, one of rap music's biggest hits, and the song revolves around the "Rise" sample. Regardless of the writer, it was a Herb Alpert performed hit song....

Hi Steven- I had turned down the use of Rise in records by Ice Cube, Easy E, Warren G and many others because I didn't like their records. When I heard the rough cassette of Hypnotize I knew we had a classic home run. I even had the producer Deric Angeletti add a moog bass underneath the original bass so that it would be a bigger deeper sound. After I heard Rise playing in the clubs of NYC I had wished that I had added a moog so in 1996 when they were recording Hypnotize I had my chance to add my moog. Once that moog got on there underneath our original bass, I knew we had a real club banger. Hypnotize has sold over 18 million tracks through singles, albums, compilations, soundtracks, etc. The song currently streams approx 35-45 million times per quarter around the world. http://nypost.com/2017/08/31/how-the-notorious-b-i-g-s-biggest-hit-almost-didnt-happen/ For me the cool thing is that that groove touched pop, r&b and jazz people in 1979 and continues today touching 16 year old hip hoppers who have no idea about Herb or Rise.. They just respond to the music and the magic of Notorious B.I.G.

You know Randy, your link story mentions the audience shouting for Herb to play Hypnotize, that sounds like a cool track possibly...

Now I'm hearinmg it in Oreo commercials. My wife and I say, "Wow! Herb Alpert's "Rise" in an Oreo commercial!" to which my kids reply, "Nuh uh -- it's Notorious BIG, Dad!"

--Mr Bill

The Producer replies... can't get much better than that! Without being nosy, I think one can say that splitting up the royalties on that would be fairly complex. Herb owning the company at the time of the recording adds another dimension, but without considering that...

Songwriter royalties for performance (radio, concerts)
Songwriter royalties for mechanicals (per track included on a record, streams(?)
Producer royalties for "neighbouring rights" (like mechanical rights, for the actual recorded track [I think])
Negotiated percentages on neighbouring rights for artist, musicians
Mechanical rights for the record company (?)
Reproduction rights (each time the recording changes mediums [vinyl, CD, mp3, etc.])
A cut from each digital stream or download based on the part of "Rise" used in the track (??)

These are all things I've vaguely heard of but probably wildly inaccurate in the détails... Hopefully a computer program exists to sort it all out.

Back
Top Bottom