Heard Carpenters

Superstar on the 70's sirius station last week. I never hear anything there but the occasional CTY... Glad to hear another track.... If only Only Yesterday would surface there...

FINALLY! Yesterday evening, about 7pm AZ time, heard 'We've Only Just Begun' on Sirius 70's channel.

I will hear them perform the A SONG FOR YOU on mobile fidelity soon to spin Singles sacd. A beautiful morning here in Portland Oregon

Thanks--again--to Newville Avenue Facebook Page:
For those on Facebook, the Carpenters' 1976 concert performance of....
Coming Through The Rye
has finally surfaced......incredible....much better than the TV Special.

Here we are....2017...and, I finally hear something new to my ears !

I couldn't agree more, GaryAlan! She sounds like the Karen of '72 in this snippet. She definitely still had 'it'. What a voice. You can even hear the happy DJ reacting to it. It's like the room stopped when Karen sang. :)

So much for any theories about Karen's voice in late 1981, she still has "it"....
listen in at 6 minutes , a snippet of Crystal Lullaby...Brazil 1981 interview:

Obviously the person who inquired about Crystal Lullaby had a passion about that song. It touched me the way he said "I love it" when following up. As the interview progressed and Richard started getting a vocal rhythm down for The Girl From Ipanema and some other Brazilian themed songs, Karen jumped in there on harmony. They never skipped a beat, sounded great as always. And I agree, Karen never lost "it".

Jan Hooks requests Karen Carpenter.
Actress and comedian Jan Hooks, best known for Saturday Night Live, passed away three years ago today. In this cute skit from the "Tush" show, she and her friends call a radio station to request "Johnny Angel by Karen Carpenter". The request takes place at 2:30 minutes into the video and we hear the Carpenters track. It's a sweet surprise to hear this Karen reference in this clip from 1980.

I couldn't agree more, GaryAlan! She sounds like the Karen of '72 in this snippet. She definitely still had 'it'. What a voice. You can even hear the happy DJ reacting to it. It's like the room stopped when Karen sang. :)

Although their insane touring schedules and several unsuccessful singles surely must have taken a toll on their energies, Karen and Richard were far too talented to ever "lose it". Compare their talents with what passes as "music" nowadays; it makes one want to laugh (or cry!).

Please Mr Postman during the 'skit' moment for one of the contestants in BBC's Strictly Come Dancing.

Sat at my computer this morning and wanted some musical accompaniment. So I connected with San Francisco's 70s hits via internet for the first time, hoping to eventually hear the duo. Lo and behold, 3 songs in, a WONDERFUL SOUND is coming through the speakers; the hair immediately stands up on the back of my neck. Rainy Days and Mondays! I stopped everything I was doing and listened intently. No matter how many times I hear the Carpenters my emotions get stirred...It's going to be a good day:)!

I hit the jackpot on a 2.5 hours drive today by hearing 3 Carpenters songs on Sirius radio! We've Only Just Begun and A Kind of Hush on the "Love" channel and Close to You on the "70s on 7" channel. That made the boring drive worthwhile!

Hello everyone.
The Paul O'Grady show on BBC radio 2 in the UK has a Carpenters triple play coming up in the next 25 minutes if anyone is able to listen.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll turn the radio on. Steve Wright played We've Only Just Begun on BBC Radio 2's Love Songs this morning. 4 Carpenter's tracks in one day is pretty good going.

They're playing Christmas music on Thanksgiving! On an over-the-air FM station out of San Francisco, while I was in my garage working on my car, The Christmas Waltz by our beloved duo off the "Christmas Portrait" album. This is unusual because it seems you only hear Merry Christmas Darling and occasionally I'll Be Home For Christmas from the holiday stations. It sounded great in the mix and I hope it gets played more. Who knows, maybe it will become a holiday standard!

For a moment, I would like to rename this thread as "Should Have Heard Carpenters!"

Two nights ago, I was in a Hallmark Card Store perusing Christmas cards when suddenly I heard "Greeting cards have all been sent" coming from the store speakers. I immediately perked up and thought that this would be my first time this holiday season hearing Carpenters Christmas music in public. But, alas, I couldn't even make believe it's my first time (this year) hearing a Carpenters' Christmas song in public...

As I listened to the faint music more closely, I realized this was NOT Karen! This was blasphemy, pure and simple. I was seething. I wanted to complain to the store manager. Who was this interloping singer? I don't know, and I don't care. Perhaps it's a compliment that other singers have covered Carpenters' "Merry Christmas Darling," but I don't want to hear anyone other than Karen singing this song!

Last edited:
For a moment, I would like to rename this thread as "Should Have Heard Carpenters!"

Two nights ago, I was in a Hallmark Card Store perusing Christmas cards when suddenly I heard "Greeting cards have all been sent" coming from the store speakers. I immediately perked up and thought that this would be my first time this holiday season hearing Carpenters in public. But, alas, I couldn't even make believe it's my first time (this year) hearing a Carpenters' Christmas song in public...

As I listened to the faint music more closely, I realized this was NOT Karen! This was blasphemy, pure and simple. I was seething. I wanted to complain to the store manager. Who was this interloping singer? I don't know, and I don't care. Perhaps it's a compliment that other singers have covered Carpenters' "Merry Christmas Darling," but I don't want to hear anyone other than Karen singing this song!
^^:righton:!^^

Watching "Sings Beatles" on BBc Four catch up. Lovely to see Richard and Karen singing "Help" today.

Watching "Sings Beatles" on BBc Four catch up. Lovely to see Richard and Karen singing "Help" today.
Is that the one where Petula Clark sings Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in a flapperish style?!

It is. Its really worth watching and the Carpenters singing help is one I haven't seen before, it seems to show Richard singing a lot more than the others Ive seen.

Back
Top Bottom