Starparade 1978 on German TV

Walkinat9

For all you lucky Carpenters fans in Germany, ZDFKultur is broadcasting old episodes of Starparade from December 23 thru 30. These are episodes from 1977/'78. Times and episode numbers are listed here (in German) http://www.fernsehserien.de/starparade/sendetermine

Karen&Richard were on episode 42 (Folge 42), so the whole show from May 11, 1978 can be seen on Monday, December 28, 2015. If you click on the line with "Mo 28.12 15:05 - 16:35....", you'll find the names of the artists and the songs they sang. Btw, I never knew that they also did Postman on that show? I don't think I ever saw any video of it on YouTube... Unfortunately you cannot watch programs from ZDFKultur online (I already tried that), only when you live in Germany. Quite frustrating for me, living relatively close, in Holland. Apparently one is able to save shows using Save.tv but I haven't figured that one out (yet). Perhaps you'd also have to be in Germany to be able to do that??

Anyway, to the lucky ones living in Germany or visiting there next week, enjoy the show!! :)

old episodes of Starparade - Karen&Richard were on episode 42 (Folge 42), so the whole show from May 11, 1978 can be seen on Monday, December 28, 2015. If you click on the line with "Mo 28.12 15:05 - 16:35....", you'll find the names of the artists and the songs they sang. Btw, I never knew that they also did Postman on that show? I don't think I ever saw any video of it on YouTube... Unfortunately you cannot watch programs from ZDFKultur online (I already tried that), only when you live in Germany. Quite frustrating for me, living relatively close, in Holland. Apparently one is able to save shows using Save.tv but I haven't figured that one out (yet). Perhaps you'd also have to be in Germany to be able to do that??

Anyway, to the lucky ones living in Germany or visiting there next week, enjoy the show!! :)
I think fans' recordings of this re-broadcasting of 'Star Parade', ('Top of the World' and 'Sweet, Sweet Smile'), are now on YouTube because I've seen super-clear copies of these performances.

Btw, has anyone ever seen 'Please Mr. Postman' from this show?

I think fans' recordings of this re-broadcasting of 'Star Parade', ('Top of the World' and 'Sweet, Sweet Smile'), are now on YouTube because I've seen super-clear copies of these performances.

Yep, they're on YouTube in great quality. ZDF, the channel that originally broadcast Star Parade, has rerun lots of their old shows in recent years meaning that we can now watch them in amazing quality. They re-broadcast this absolute gem in recent years, from ABBA's 1982 appearance on a similar ZDF show called Show Express.

This also from Show Express in 1981, but looks like it's a good quality capture from the time rather than a more recent HD re-run:

Last edited:
Yep, they're on YouTube in all their HD glory. The channel that originally broadcast Star Parade, ZDF, has rerun lots of their old shows in recent years meaning that we can now watch them in amazing quality. This absolute gem also showed up a few years back when ABBA appeared on a similar ZDF programme, Show Express.

This also from Show Express:

I do like that song. A bit meandering, but somehow that adds to the story-telling feel.

Were there ever any pictures of ABBA meeting Carpenters on starparade?
I remember Agnetha choosing Yesterday once more on Ken Bruce's show and saying they met.
Bjorn must also be a fan as recently in a Swedish interview he said his ultimate duet partner would be Karen Carpenter.
Slightly off topic but never seen a picture of them all together.

I don't recall ever seeing any, which is a shame. I'm assuming their meeting was backstage on this or some other show.

It's also a shame that Richard and Karen weren't asked to be a part of the Olivia! special that features Andy Gibb and ABBA. I can easily see them taking part in the fun jam session. They might have struggled finding a place in the end medley though, which seemed to feature only uptempo songs that were made famous by the performers. The only hit that might have fitted this bill is Top Of The World and even that would have sounded trite alongside the pop and disco tunes the others belted out.

I bought the complete programme from ZDF as a private copy, so I can answer a few questions:
Btw, has anyone ever seen 'Please Mr. Postman' from this show?
In fact, they only played "Top of the world" and "Sweet, sweet smile". I went through the whole episode and didn't find "Please Mr. Postman" anywhere. It must be an error in the former "Hörzu" (German TV magazine) which uses "fernsehserien.de" as a source.
For a few seconds at the beginning you can see all the artists of the show together.

I hope that was helpful.

Greetings,
Florian

It must be an error in the former "Hörzu" (German TV magazine) which uses "fernsehserien.de" as a source.
Sorry, I have made a mistake here, the sentence should have read: It must be an error in the then issue of "Hörzu" (German TV magazine), which uses "fernsehserien.de" as its source. As a non-native English speaker, please forgive me. By the way, is there a way to edit your own posts? Then I could have saved myself this correction post. Thank you very much!

I bought the complete programme from ZDF as a private copy, so I can answer a few questions:

In fact, they only played "Top of the world" and "Sweet, sweet smile". I went through the whole episode and didn't find "Please Mr. Postman" anywhere. It must be an error in the former "Hörzu" (German TV magazine) which uses "fernsehserien.de" as a source.

For a few seconds at the beginning you can see all the artists of the show together.

I hope that was helpful.

Greetings,
Florian
Thanks so much for answering these questions, Florian. I hope you enjoy being a member here and happy Christmas!

Posts can only be edited within fifteen minutes or so.
Thank you! I must have missed the button, because originally I wanted to edit the post right after I sent it when I realised my mistake, but had to attend to something more important first.
Thanks so much for answering these questions, Florian. I hope you enjoy being a member here and happy Christmas!
I was happy to do it! And yes, I am happy to be a member here. Before I registered here I had already looked at a few topics and I'm glad to have found a site where there are people who love the Carpenters as much as I do. Of course, I wish you and all of you here a Merry Christmas and, when the time comes, a Happy New Year!

Greetings,
Florian

I don't recall ever seeing any, which is a shame. I'm assuming their meeting was backstage on this or some other show.

Not only turns out there was in fact a photo, but it looks like it was taken during a rehearsal outside of the actual broadcast :)

5e57d9c2-26c2-43b6-9c6b-15098de5cd7e.jpeg

Sad to think that the Carpenters were at the end of their amazing run of success in this photo (minus a brief comeback in 1981) and ABBA was topping the charts all over the world and had not reached their peak yet.

The picture of ABBA with Karen and Richard standing near each other gives me such goosebumps!! These are two of my top five favorite artists of all time!! How great it would have been if they had collaborated in some way, even if it was just singing on a TV show.
What a great idea.

That's them alright, standing right beside ABBA. They talked about meeting them a while later on the Tonight Show with John Davidson, the same show where they performed 'Thank You For The Music'.
Love that performance...especially the little dance Karen is doing right as they fade out.

Back
Top Bottom