Carpenters "Collected" Vinyl Release

New Horizons.

Hello Everyone.
My first posting but just been browsing the usual retailers and on Amazon UK they have a 2 lp set due for release in November called Carpenters Collected with a 4 page booklet of photos and liner notes in a protective sleeve. Needless to say I just pre-ordered :)

CARPENTERS - COLLECTED - Catalog - Music On Vinyl

3379_foto2_product_groot.jpg

I wish I could get this set, but it sounds like it's going to be a bit elusive for U.S. buyers. :sigh:

White vinyl? Interesting.

No wonder their image was down the toilet when they were taking photos like this in 1981.

October 27 is the release date. But this looks like a reissue of the 2013 CD but on vinyl. (Although from the solo projects it only has "Still Crazy" and the stupid "Karen's Theme".

Carpenters Collected

Hmmm...I agree that alternate "solo" performances would make a better package (perhaps "If I Had You" and "Time"?); however, I like Karen's Theme as it shows Richard's talent for writing and arranging an effective emotional tune. In no way do I find it "stupid."

I have always liked the photo that is on the 'Collected' CDs, (and now vinyl). I also like the idea of white vinyl. The third positive is that I think 'Still Crazy After All These Years' is, potentially, one of the better tracks from the solo album. Good song, good arrangement, great background vocals. Karen's lead vocal has its good moments and its weak moments.

The fact that 'Still Crazy After All These Years' was going to be on Karen's solo LP was included in press releases in 1979, (or 1980 - can't remember when I heard it - 1979, I think), to stir up interest while she was recording the album, so it's a good track to include.

It's available for pre-order at Amazon UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carpenters...qid=1505269664&sr=1-1&keywords=the+carpenters
180 gram audiophile vinyl / Gatefold sleeve / HIGH QUALITY PVC PROTECTIVE SLEEVE / 4 PAGE BOOKLET WITH LINER NOTES AND PHOTOS

2 LP set so it does appear to be gatefold, I'm not so sure about it being white colored, that picture might be just brightened to appear white vinyl.

Cost is £29.84 which coverts to the US at about $39.70

Looks like my pre-order is in...how could I pass a Karen Carpenter solo track on vinyl? :love:

I never bought this collection on CD although I do have the original Netherlands collection. The shipping to the US was not as bad as I thought only £3.08 so my total in US is approx $37.18 and with it being a 2 LP set with a gatefold and inner booklet and 180 gram weight with overseas purchase I guess that's not too bad. Man...what I do for Carpenters, hurry up November!!

Thank you for the information New Horizons. As a fairly new collector, there is very little I HAVE got so I looked into pre ordering this vinyl release. I seem to have pre ordered the white vinyl release so here's hoping that's what they deliver!

Thanks for the Heads Up on this release just pre ordered the white vinyl from an independent record shop here in U.K, looking forward to it. Although I'm not that fussed about the coloured record gimmick, it just makes the set a little more collectible at the end of the day.

I'm kinda on the fence about the white vinyl...it would be cool to have as I don't think any Carpenters LP's were produced in colored vinyl other than the purple see through vinyl on either Lovelines or VOTH (can't remember off hand which of the 2)

I'd rather have the regular if it produces less noise. I guess it's possible Amazon gets some of the first batches but why would they show the non white version. In any case super excited to be getting a new Carpenters LP (how cool does that sound?) :phones: I'm on the Top of the World...

Thanks Brian for the welcome.
It does appear to be the Dutch 3 cd set in a shorter vinyl form.
Amazing the information that appears after a week away so thanks everyone for links etc.
I like the cover photo and a new gatefold and some Karen solo sold it to me on first viewing.
Darren.

This is an interesting choice to turn into a vinyl set. First off, the CD is a 3-disc set (really 2 and a half), but still, its length makes it so that it wouldn't fit on a 2 LP set. So someone, somewhere pruned it.

Missing from the LP set are:

Goofus
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
I Believe You
(Want You) Back In My Life Again
Those Good Old Dreams
BEechwood 4-5789
Now
Make Believe It's Your First Time
Trying To Get The Feelin' Again
------------------------------------------------
Lovelines
If I Had You
When Time Was All We Had
Calling Your Name Again
Sandy

Those are, with an exception or two, largely among the most forgettable of Carpenters repertoire. I'd say the single most regrettable exclusion is "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song".

Now, the other interesting thing is that COLLECTED was compiled from original album tracks taken from the Remastered Classics, which by their very nature, sounded the way the tracks sounded originally on vinyl. So will these tracks be those same "original vinyl" tracks? Or will they include remixes this time?

We'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom