📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides ATGB and Karen's solo album, it would be nice if Richard could include an EP or other LP with some of the non-album cuts that have appeared on the various compilations like TTGTFA, My Body (From The Top mix, maybe a dance club remix), Toyland, Christmas Alphabet, Looking For Love, etc.

UPDATE: According to Richard, the set is still on track for release, however they don't have a specific release date yet.

If I personally get any update before anyone else does, I'll be sure to post here. :)

Thanks for sharing! Last time I asked him it must have been a few months ago and he still didn't have a date set then. I hope its worth the wait ! ☺

I have mixed feeling about vinyl reissues. My "used" LPs already sound excellent on my Audio-Technica turntable. I purchase only unplayed or mint used vinyl, then clean them with a professional fluid. A clean record in mint condition plays wonderfully on a good turntable.
Personally, I'd prefer individual reissues of the best-selling Carpenters studio LPs, instead of being forced to buy a box set. I already own a copy of the 180-gm Now & Then vinyl (Japan) but have never played it! I keep it as a collector's item since the basic vinyl copies I have play perfectly.

Any "ballpark" figures on how much this box set is going to cost:eek:?
That, and availability of individual records vs. the set. There are at least three I would never even open, and maybe only three or four I would bother to play regularly. There have been a couple of vinyl sets I've purchased but luckily, there may be only one album in the bunch I don't care for. I understand box sets from a collector angle, but many of us want a la carte choices as well.

And I would fear these would be cut from digital masters. It's not always a bad thing (I have many that sound quite good), but if original two-track analog masters are available and someone like Bernie Grundman mastered them to vinyl, it would definitely be something special.

It never had one to begin with, did it?
I think he's hoping that Universal would finally include an inner sleeve that was similar to the "Christmas Portrait" LP. As Richard has been quoted as saying, he was really let down with how A&M in 1984 packaged "An Old-Fashioned Christmas" and didn't put really any effort into its design.

All of my copies of OFC have a plastic inner sleeve.

I think he's hoping that Universal would finally include an inner sleeve that was similar to the "Christmas Portrait" LP. As Richard has been quoted as saying, he was really let down with how A&M in 1984 packaged "An Old-Fashioned Christmas" and didn't put really any effort into its design.

Yeah, I was referring to the fact that there was no printed inner sleeve, which disappointed Richard as the album was put out as a mid-line release, despite all the efforts and lavish production that went into it.

It really deserves one. I'm sure a graphic designer with modern technology could come up with something similar to the CP one.

According to Richard's assistant Kerri, no update on release date as of yet. I will continue to check in with them periodically and keep everyone here posted as details emerge. :D
Chris, do you know if Richard is aware of Carpenters Collected being pressed to vinyl for release in Nov? Did he have any input on this project to vinyl? I think something like this could be a great prelude to a Carpenters vinyl box set collection to come. Vinyl is making a big comeback lately.

UPDATE: According to Richard, the set is still on track for release, however they don't have a specific release date yet.

If I personally get any update before anyone else does, I'll be sure to post here. :)
Chris, have you heard whispers concerning a 50th anniversary product? My thought is that this vinyl release could be it. Unless Japanese fans encourage special set. Your thoughts?

I wonder if stores like Wal-mart might pick the individual records (or maybe just the 2 Christmas LP's) up to sell for Christmas alongside their turntables and stereos.

This just in. My friend in the biz just told me release date is set for November 17. 12 albums and 12 l.p. set. I will confirm. I'm jetting to my record store where my buyer friend works. Oh Harry, this is the good old days all over again. A massive CarpenterS release. Over the top.

My guess:

1. Offering
  2. Close To You
  3. Carpenters
  4. A Song For You
  5. Now & Then
  6. Horizon
  7. A Kind Of Hush
  8. Passage
  9. Made In America
  10. Voice Of The Heart
  11. Lovelines
  12. Either Christmas Portrait (Special Edition) or As Time Goes By
I doubt we'll get any kind of bonus disc, live album or solo material.

This just in. My friend in the biz just told me release date is set for November 17. 12 albums and 12 l.p. set. I will confirm. I'm jetting to my record store where my buyer friend works. Oh Harry, this is the good old days all over again. A massive CarpenterS release. Over the top.
Holy moly!!

I hope it's "Offering" with the original sunflower cover as opposed to "Ticket To Ride". It would be so great to have a vinyl LP of "Karen Carpenter", but I don't think it's going to happen. Maybe in the future, who knows...Thanks for the update djn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom