South Of The Border Cover

Shane

I was doing some reading on wikipedia regarding various TJB albums when I picked up on a rather obscure fact. It mentions the cover for South of the Border (and What Now My Love) were taken at the Patio Del Moro apartments in West Hollywood. A quick google search shows the building is still standing. Check out this link, and compare the arch on the right side of the picture with the South of the Border cover.

File:Patio Del Moro, West Hollywood.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Interesting!

Next, we are going to wonder who is in the shadows of the photo. :wink:

upload_2017-9-21_0-17-39.png

upload_2017-9-21_0-18-13.png

Street view: Google Maps

upload_2017-9-21_0-19-26.png
True I looked at these photos online myself and it intrigues me because the SOTB album is not only one of my most favorite albums but Especially the cover since the first time I finally got my first copy at 13 years old the location and the scenery inspired me i thought it was a beautiful backdrop and It still is its very rare that this is still standing I wonder if Herb ever thought of doing another photo shoot at Patio del moro for one of his future albums for old times sake. But instead of sandra moss Lani would be there and would bring it all full circle I would love to see that it would be wonderful

If you look for Patio Del Moro on You Tube, you should find some video clips of the property. I think a couple of them are real estate listings offering the property for sale. The address is also given.

That would be awesome if Herb recreated this shoot!

I live in California, and I've been to West Hollywood before... if I'm ever there again, I'd be tempted to grab my trumpet out of the closet along with my girlfriend, and have some stranger take a picture of us. :)

That would be awesome if Herb recreated this shoot!

I live in California, and I've been to West Hollywood before... if I'm ever there again, I'd be tempted to grab my trumpet out of the closet along with my girlfriend, and have some stranger take a picture of us. :)
Don't forget your Burnt orange Jacket Or something similar. Lol

True I looked at these photos online myself and it intrigues me because the SOTB album is not only one of my most favorite albums but Especially the cover since the first time I finally got my first copy at 13 years old the location and the scenery inspired me i thought it was a beautiful backdrop and It still is its very rare that this is still standing I wonder if Herb ever thought of doing another photo shoot at Patio del moro for one of his future albums for old times sake. But instead of sandra moss Lani would be there and would bring it all full circle I would love to see that it would be wonderful
I LOVE that idea!

My daughter lives in Reseda, which is in the Valley and part of the L.A. metro area. Next time I visit her I will have to go to this address for my own photo shoot. May even take my old grade school cornet and a sombrero!

Perhaps caption the photo, "What's South Of The Border Now, My Love"!

Yeah, I know. Pretty lame. Although it wouldn't bother me at all if Herb borrows my caption for the title of his future album cover that we're planning here!

But, I doubt he'd sink that low.

Last edited:
Great find! Any other album cover locations ever found, what about "SRO" or "Brass are Comin" was that a movie set??
This is just a guess but I think the SRO cover might have been taken at then newly purchased by A&M Charlie Chaplin Studios as For "The Brass are Comin" I think it was a Movie set Again these are Just Guesses on my part

SRO was I think was the rear of a grandstand at the fair in Allentown, PA. TBAC would have been a still taken at the production set for the TV special, whichever studio that was.

It'd be fun to see a list of where some of our favorite A&M covers were shot. I always wondered where the pictures on Sergio Mendes' Stillness album were taken.

A search on Guy Webster, the photographer, turns up expensive poster prints ($1,900):

sergio_mendes_stillness_front_1024x1024.jpg

Sergio Mendes

It must've been a location he liked. Also on his site is a Rolling Stones shot:

the_rolling_stones_2_1024x1024.jpg

The Rolling Stones

It'd be fun to see a list of where some of our favorite A&M covers were shot. I always wondered where the pictures on Sergio Mendes' Stillness album were taken.
I asked Sergio about that cover when he signed it for me and he said he cant remember..somewhere in California he said?? I love the photos taken for that album, there must be more and some out takes?

Not sure about Andy Griffith, but that area was a private ranch until the National Park Service purchased it in 1981 to use as a park.

It wasn't uncommon to use private property for television series. The television show "Dallas" used to use the exterior of a ranch north of Dallas for Southfork Ranch. The interiors, however, were shot at a completely different house. (The "real" Southfork Ranch was very rustic inside, compared to the mansion-like interiors shown in the series.)

Back
Top Bottom