Those good old dreams

Absolutely! Now you're on board. I love to see study, intensity and passion on this site of sites. Its outta site!

What is it about something so seemingly minor that makes it so much fun to hear?

It's a little touch like that from Karen that made something sounding so intricate, complex feel very free and easy.
Or maybe it was the fact that the urge to drum was in her system and it felt natural to add a percussion element like that.

I think, although it's hard to ignore all the awful parts of that time for her, she was having fun.
It's faint, but you see an odd glimmer in her eyes in that video and even the "Yellow Brick Road" version.

Music was such a huge part of her life. As awful condition she was in, I see and hear the bits of that era where she was enjoying herself. Not to be ignorant of all the terrible things going on too. It's not like people going through illness can't have happy times too.

It was over a decade they were in the business and pretty much they were who they were and could do whatever they wanted. The volume of recording that went on for MIA shows their love and dedication to their work.

It's really hard to think that... out of all that there wasn't something she genuinely liked to do. Even if she wasn't getting to express herself as she wanted exactly.
The vocals sound fine to me, and how Rich polished their sound.
Perhaps refined too much as opinions vary greatly on this subject, but it's still classic Carps to me.
An early example of what their 80s sound may have been.

I heard "When you got what it takes" the other day, and that's a real offbeat one too.
It's kind of a weird idea when they come in with the overdubs "Shine" and "Fine".
Only someone with an innovative mind like Rich could make it work. Lol

Now for my 2 cents worth. To me being a fanatic for mellow music especially during the 80s when it was beginning to dwindle. TGOD was one of my all time favorite Carpenter songs and I thought it was one of the best love songs of the decade. I still enjoy its simple basic sound and lyrics to me it's a definitive carpenters song I heard it played on Easy Listening and MOR. Radio stations a lot even some Muzak versions of it I have one such version by Orchestra leader John Fox who in my opinion is one of the best arrangers and conductors in the Easy Listening instrumental realm. His version kept the basic structure in tact except it was slightly faster than the original. But it's still Great. And today the song keeps me feeling younger it was the right song at the right time.

Not senile. I don't see an official review for this single either, though there are a fair amount of other threads . I moved your post to this one.

Here is a bit of info from Record World mag on that song, December 5, 1981:
"The Carpenters are getting country play on Those Good Old Dreams.
It's added at WYDE, WDEN, WXCL, KSSS, KSOP, WVAM, KVOO, WPLO."

Source:
I can imagine ‘Those Good Old Dreams’ getting country airplay. It’s a shame it didn’t get a lot more.

I’m still very fond of that song.

“Those Good Old Dreams” got airplay on the radio in my parents’ area in the country, (in Australia), but I remember that was around Easter, 1982. The release date here would have been a few months after the US.

Reiterating what I have wrote in the past, I feel that Those Good Old Dreams is a great song as it stands.
That being said, a couple of changes might have propelled it higher with radio-airplay, but who knows ?
Possibilities are:
1). Countrify it a bit more (that is, really amplify the steel guitar in the mix).
2). Lengthen the instrumental bridge (extending it) while shortening the outro-instrumental (or, halving it).

This song played in my car on shuffle mode this past week and I still enjoy this song very much. I agree with A&M Retro that little change would make this song pop even more, in fact the entire MIA album could benefit from that same treatment. Touch Me When Were Dancing is prime example of this on RPO album.

Back
Top Bottom