Favorite taped Carpenters concert??

My favorite anything of taped Carpenters is their 1971 BBC TV appearance (but not really a "concert"). As far as a real concert: 1974 Budokan.

I love the Budokan concert, bought the recent DVD release and watch it lots!

My Budokan video was a gift from a dear friend here at the corner. My eyes puddle as I watch it. I'm about do for another Kleenex.

1970 Walter Reed Hospital performance for the Ed Sullivan show. Filled with youthful exuberance & Karen in her element.
I love that snippet too. When they do that "up shot" of Karen behind her kit coming down on that cymbal a couple of times during Walk On By, I am in Goosebump City! Just amazing talent. And I forget what the tune was in the medley, but Richard does a very energetic keyboard solo as well! And them doing it all for our wounded/traumatized vets coming back from Vietnam makes it all the more special.

I would have to say the Australian concert, and especially the bit where Richard introduces Karen and says "And unlike what some people think, this is my sister and not my wife!" and then Karen's reaction.

I did a search for Carpenters on Spotify today and this collection came up top of the search results:

DPp8g0jW0AAMVEO.jpg

It sounds like the Budokan live album we all know, but the revving of the motorbike on songs like Little Honda and Leader Of The Pack sounds different, completely drowning Karen out to the point where you can't even hear her singing. I don't remember the original Budokan album being so poorly mixed. The intro sound check is also chopped to make it shorter and bizarrely, each track also fades out before the next track fades in, so some of the dialogue between songs is lost.

Last edited:
Australia 1972. I particularly enjoy the Bacharach-David Medley. Watching Karen sing and drum through that 12-minute number is something to behold.

Karen's rendition of Superstar from the 1976 Amsterdam concert is now my favorite "live" performance from her. She is utterly beautiful and the way she sings it has me mesmerized. The way she turns her back on the audience, shakes her hair back, sits down, preps herself for the vocals...:love:! My only complaint is that she didn't do a full version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom