📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys just don't "get" the syncopation in the kick drum, do you?
I've always loved drums, so I "got" it and loved it! Has it been noted in the forum (regarding the Tan album) how cool it was for Richard to follow "Rainy Days & Mondays" with "Saturday"(both about days of the week)...and "Superstar" with "Druscilla Penny" (both about groupies)?

It wasn't til I had bought 2 lps and then an 8 track that I realized those pops were intended.
I wonder how many people in the 70’s thought that that single was defective? Kick drum or not, those two beats really sound like a bad scratch!

I am on the fence. I own all the LP's in fairly good shape. I own the 40th anniversary Japanese set with all the CD's imported into itunes.I really don't need this. YET....the idea of owning pristine Carpenters vinyl in highly tempting.
That is how I feel also.

The only vinyl I have of the earlier records are the copies that were in our house when I was growing up. As they were not played on the best of equipment at the time, and not as well taken care of, they are not something I would get much out of if I played them now on my current rig. Although for Passage and MIA, and Christmas Portrait to a lesser extent, I bought those and took care of them, so they still play like new. (I also have the dbx-encoded Close To You LP.) But, finding used replacement vinyl is pretty difficult now, especially if I went looking for early or first pressings. Most I see in the used record stores are not in good shape. It's rare to find a sealed original issue LP from the 70s, regardless of who recorded it. A&M's reissue vinyl in the 80s wasn't that bad, though--I could easily live with a sealed copy of one of those. I have with a couple of other artists and was not disappointed.

But at any rate, these new releases give someone like me a chance to pick up some favorites on new, fresh vinyl.

I do have the Remastered Classics CDs, so it's not like I don't have the music in some form or other. But the vinyl has the potential to sound even better, provided care is taken along the way.

I will probably go the a la carte way, and get only those titles I want. Yet if it was at the point where four or five individual albums were very close to the price of the entire box set, then why not get it? I'm in no rush, so if some incredibly cheap deal comes along, especially during the holidays, I very well could end up with the set. If not? No big deal. I can get the individual LPs I am looking for.

Thing is, if the mastering is not so good, or the vinyl quality is poor, then all bets are off--I'll pass, and stick with what I have.

That is where I'm at on this set.

I was wondering if anyone was considering purchasing any of these albums individually instead of the box set as a whole.

I noticed on the Universal Music link they run down each album but I don't understand there message about Voice of the Heart.
It says:

VOICE OF THE HEART
"Consisting of previously unreleased masters for a solo album by Karen, this album was compiled by Richard after her death."

I was never under the impression that these tracks were designed for a solo album by Karen, am I misunderstanding their message about this album?

The Carpenters: The Vinyl Collection to be Released November 17 | Umusic

Thanks for the link. In case anyone missed it, there is a ginormous (5200 x 5315 pixel) JPEG of the box set on that page:

http://www.umusic.ca/files/2017/10/Carpenters-LP-Box.jpg

Looks great! Wish I had a turntable...

Hi everyone, I've not posted for a while on this thread. But have loved reading everyone's thoughts on this set. It's now 1 year and almost 2 months since I found out about this set from Richard. I have to say I am a little on the fence too, I was hoping for the Christmas LPs as I don't have them on vinyl yet. I have all in the box set (except lovelines) but will probably get it for Christmas. I am pleased to hear that the original designs are being recreated.

Hopefully this is the start of a new Vinyl era for the Carpenters
... Who knows a 45 Singles box set could be next !

Here you go guys; the perfect turntable to play your new Carpenters vinyl on:

VPI - Avenger Reference Turntable | Shop Music Direct

Promises "life-altering sound" plus free shipping...What's not to like?!
I'm not a big fan of VPI. (Those unipivot arms are fussy.) I'm more interested in Clearaudio. But they have a few that are way more $$$ than the Avenger. They're on my short list when I upgrade in a couple of years, actually.

The sound on any of these is incredible though. You wouldn't think vinyl could sound this good.

Wow you can even read the spine showing the catalog numbers and such. So these won't have the original catalog numbers correct?

Sharp eyes! I hadn't even noticed the catalog numbers.

Gorgeous resolution! Something odd, though; when I saved it to my iPhone and then added it to my favorites folder, the photo has a date of January 27, 2015!?

Great detective work! Perhaps this means the project has been nearly 3 years in the making. Hopefully this also means they took their time to master this set well for best sound quality.

Looking forward to this set! Any word of whether it will come with an mp3 download card? It would be a nice bonus.

I cannot see it to be honest with you, and besides MP3 is to low resolution wise for most people who appreciate good sound?. A download link with 96/24 high resolution transfers would be very welcome indeed!.

One MP3 at 360 Approx 10mb
One Flac File at 96/24 Approx 100mb

Above are examples obviously depending on track length would be more or less.

I cannot see it to be honest with you, and besides MP3 is to low resolution wise for most people who appreciate good sound?. A download link with 96/24 high resolution transfers would be very welcome indeed!.

One MP3 at 360 Approx 10mb
One Flac File at 96/24 Approx 100mb

Above are examples obviously depending on track length would be more or less.
Even though it is low resolution, people are able to put MP3s on their phones and tablets so that they can listen to them wherever and have the high quality sound for playback at home.

Of course another option is Universal including a CD copy inside the jacket.

Download cards are not all that common with vinyl reissues, but among examples in my own collection, I have seen them with the Peter Gabriel 45RPM reissues (for high-res 24/96), and in our own backyard here, the Tijuana Brass reissues (for MP3). I have had a couple of LP purchases of new music include a CD in the jacket (two Pat Metheny titles--Orchestrion and (<--Kin-->), and a Brian Setzer Orchestra title that actually included a CD as part of the artwork inside the gatefold (the CD was printed as the moon).

MP3s are just for that reason--so buyers can put them on their portable devices. Although I do wish a high-res download came with many of the LPs I buy. But for reissues, we have to consider the licensing agreed to by the artist and the label. With high-res being a "new format" over LP, cassette and CD (based on when some of these contracts were negotiated), it may not legally be possible to offer them as any kind of download. For reissue labels, they might be licensing only for an LP and/or SACD release; any download would have to be licensed separately.

Don't you find the entire catalog release from CarpenterS on vinyl intoxicating? Masses and probably millions don't have the original vinyl. This venture is a bittersweet reintroduction of the duo for all.

Don't you find the entire catalog release from CarpenterS on vinyl intoxicating? Masses and probably millions don't have the original vinyl. This venture is a bittersweet reintroduction of the duo for all.
If the bookstores that sell gimmick nostalgic phonograph players that also sell vinyl will hopefully become a new home to find a new Carpenters display - it just may!

I’ve just received an email from Amazon saying the release date has been put back to 8 December. Anyone else aware? It wouldn’t be a Carpenters release without delays!

I’ve just received an email from Amazon saying the release date has been put back to 8 December. Anyone else aware? It wouldn’t be a Carpenters release without delays!

If it gets pushed back any later in the year they may well miss out on the Festival increase in sales?.

Not yet. In my order history it still shows Nov. 17 as the release date, and I haven't received any contradictory email (yet)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom