Carpenters "Collected" Vinyl Release

My copy has just arrived. I'm at work so haven't opened it fully. First impressions regard the photo - it isn't the most pin sharp image I've ever seen. Still, looking forward to opening it up when I get home. Surprisingly heavy!

If it is numbered, it should be the white vinyl copy.

It is available in the US as of Nov. 3, so I may tack it onto an existing vinyl order.

I received mine on Saturday, and the cover photo isn't the sharpest but I love the glossy inner photos. I have the white vinyl and it sounded great. It appears the original album mixes were used. Unfortunately, they used a version of Yesterday Once More where it fades out and you can hear the revving engines of Fun, Fun, Fun. I can't wait for the box set to come out in a few weeks.

I received mine on Saturday, and the cover photo isn't the sharpest but I love the glossy inner photos. I have the white vinyl and it sounded great. It appears the original album mixes were used. Unfortunately, they used a version of Yesterday Once More where it fades out and you can hear the revving engines of Fun, Fun, Fun. I can't wait for the box set to come out in a few weeks.

...and the sound quality? Fair, Good, V.G. or Fine?
I must say I'm thrilled with your prize. I'm about as tickled as if my own arrived.

Unfortunately, they used a version of Yesterday Once More where it fades out and you can hear the revving engines of Fun, Fun, Fun. I can't wait for the box set to come out in a few weeks.
Really? The ending is not clean? I don't have the cd so it's like that on the Cd version too?

I could tell from the marketing photos that the cover is not great quality. Almost pixelated and if you look at Richards socks & pants they are the exact/color texture as the stand he's sitting on, that looks weird.

The CD version of COLLECTED is identical to that Netherlands ULTIMATE COLLECTION from 2006. Both sets use album masters from the Remastered Classics discs. So since "Yesterday Once More" leads into and segues with "Fun Fun Fun" on the NOW & THEN disc, the identical track was used for ULTIMATE and COLLECTED. It fades with the revving of engines and DOES NOT include the single version's added guitar figure toward the latter half of the song.

You should also find the album version of "Top Of The World" on this set, and any other album version you can think of.

COLLECTED on vinyl is a shortened version of COLLECTED on CD.

That's weird. They fade-out YOM, rev engines as if going into the oldies medley, and then go immediately into Jambalaya?:confused:

Well if nothing else, we will get a feel for how the remastered classics will sound on vinyl, huh?

However if they use the same remastered classics on the vinyl box set (we still don't know for sure yet) it could sound differently since both these sets are being mastered by different studios, is that a fair assumption?

Well, that didn't take long,

The lowest price for the WHITE VINYL on the world's largest internet auction site this morning: $35.81 w/free shipping.

However if they use the same remastered classics on the vinyl box set (we still don't know for sure yet) it could sound differently since both these sets are being mastered by different studios, is that a fair assumption?
Yes, they could sound different. As to how much, we won't know until we actually hear them.

Some slightly blurry photos (my fault not the actual packaging, other than the cover). Not listened to them yet though (BBC's Strictly It Takes Two takes precedence)

Front

Back

Interior

Actually quite nice. Bit concerned to hear about the end of Yesterday Once More though which seems a bit slap dash. It's been mastered by Rinus Hooning at Record Industry B.V.

Last edited:
My copy came on Saturday and it looks great. I haven't played it yet as I need a new vinyl player. Ive spent that much on these new releases, I cant afford to replace my old record player and I don't want to ruin my new records!

Well, that didn't take long,

The lowest price for the WHITE VINYL on the world's largest internet auction site this morning: $35.81 w/free shipping.
$34.99 at Amazon US for the preorder. Which actually isn't bad, considering it is an import, and many new single vinyl records sell for $20-$25 each.

@Graeme The white vinyl looks cool! I hope it plays as quietly as my other MOV titles. :)

Booklet

Record
Thanks for sharing your pics! The record itself looks striking; I love the red label contrast with the white vinyl. Congrats, looks like they shipped you a quality product. Please let us know what you think of the sound once you get a chance to give it a spin...

Last edited:
It'
$34.99 at Amazon US for the preorder. Which actually isn't bad, considering it is an import, and many new single vinyl records sell for $20-$25 each.

@Graeme The white vinyl looks cool! I hope it plays as quietly as my other MOV titles. :)

I've listened to side 4 and almost finished side 3 (I thought I'd go backwards!) A few pops during I Need To Be In Love and one during Calling Occupants but when I tried INTBIL again it was fine so not sure what that was about. Karen seemed a bit reverby during Still Crazy After All These Years so I'm assuming that's Richard's remixed version?

I've realised listening to side 3 that I'm more familiar with the remixes rather than the 1997 remasters. Listening to Yesterday Once More came as a bit of a shock with how unpolished it sounded initially (and the fade out on the revving engines is a bit jarring). However, they all sound as though they have more depth and bass than my CDs. Karen's Theme, which I love, sounded a little out of place sonically to everything else though.

A Kind Of Hush has just started and sounds far better than I've heard it before. No more pops either.

Last edited:
"Karen seemed a bit reverby during Still Crazy After All These Years so I'm assuming that's Richard's remixed version?"

Actually, just pulled out From The Top and Richard's remix has less reverb on Karen's vocals than the solo version and is far punchier. I'll have to listen to the vinyl version again later (TV has been commandeered again).

Even the CD version I found didn’t have the sharpest front photo and the photo kind of looked like it had been cut out of another photo rather quickly.

"Karen seemed a bit reverby during Still Crazy After All These Years so I'm assuming that's Richard's remixed version?"

Actually, just pulled out From The Top and Richard's remix has less reverb on Karen's vocals than the solo version and is far punchier. I'll have to listen to the vinyl version again later (TV has been commandeered again).
Nope, it's the solo mix. I haven't listened to Richard's take on it for many years, it's a lot better than the solo version.

IMG_20171030_184415.jpg

I count no less than 3 pictures in the artwork that are from Karen's solo sessions. That's nice to see :)

(BBC's Strictly It Takes Two takes precedence)

Another fan here :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
Well I’m listening to side one of it at the moment and I don’t find the mastering that impressive ( or whatever you call it ), just seems a bit flat and quiet for my particular tastes. I do find the different mixes of the tracks impressive though.
The front cover artwork transfer is very poor quality, surely they could have selected a higher resolution image for the project. Generally this pressing is a lot (and I do mean a lot) inferior to the originals.

Packaging 6/10
Records uniqueness 10/10
Content reproduction 5/10
The music itself is of course excellent.

I really don’t know how they have managed to make great songs sound so veiled and lifeless. All my other carpenters albums pop with life and dynamics and are a joy this one I cannot get to grips with at all.
I may change my mind after listening to it all but at the moment I’m underwhelmed by the sonics.
The tambourine in Superstar usually is clean as a bell out of my right hand speaker it’s not the same on this pressing. This is my own take on it of course?, others may love it?.

Last edited:
^^Thanks for the analysis, Wayne.
I was 'on the fence'....almost bought a copy yesterday,
thought I'd wait for forum member's input as they received their copies,
Now,
I gravitate to a ' no thanks'.......

Back
Top Bottom