JANIS HANSEN TRIBUTE THREAD*

The voice of "The Look of Love." Probably one of the most un-recognized big hit vocalists in history.

Reading the obituary, I see she was born in Great Falls, MT. How about that... I never knew Sergio & Brasil '66 actually had a Montana connection! (Now if we could only get him here for a concert!)

R.I.P. Janis.

Janis and her husband Richard both were absolutely wonderful to me via a long set of email exchanges many years ago. I helped Janis reconnect with Jose Soares, though I have absolutely no clear recollection of how I did that, and Janis and Richard mailed me a complete set of their Bible Stories set that I donated to the church I was Music Directing for at the time. She was so touched by the fact that some of us knew she was the voice on Look of Love.

What very sad news. In my 68 years I had three favorite singers: Eydie Gorme, Lani Hall and Janis Hansen. What they had in common was superb vocal interpretations of music of Latin origin. And Janis contributions shined like star. With Brasil 66 whether singing magnificently in unison with Lani Hall in songs like "The Frog", or singing solo on that wonderful bridge portion of "For Me", or her incomparably sensual lead vocal with the "Look of Love", Janis vocals were a musical joy to listen to.

Then her musical odyssey took her to the group The Carnival. I've posted an awesome vocal by Janis where to my ear she displayed a kind of R&B vocal style on "Where There's A Heartache" from the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Listen to her vocal inflection when she hits the high notes at the end of the song. Simply fantastic. And when Janis sang she always had such a pretty voice--the most important musical quality for any female singer.

God bless Janis and rest in peace.

All due love and respect to Janis.

Say --

I don't know of any live recordings of the first line-up (with Janis) of Brasil '66. I can only find three recordings on YouTube of the second line-up (with Karen as 2nd singer).

BTW, we all know this, but the pic in the obituary is not Janis. :)
Remarkable. Yes, I think I can deduce/guess what happened. Someone did a quick Google or Bing search for "Janis Hansen", and that image is what appears on that first page of web search results.

2.bp.blogspot.com/-MVEC-a_8eco/WgovKZ3DZeI/AAAAAAABMa4/KxGluWC62MoZkMVjZcPLJ7F7LzUfqBxCACLcBGAs/s320/Hansen.jpg

Search results have changed, evidently - when I do the searches, now.
(But still, if I add "Sergio" to the query, I get that image as the first result.)

Good thing, they didn't mix up the actress (who is about as old, in fact) who was acting in Hollywood in the mid-1960s and onwards.
In fact, that (former) actress appears on the first page of Bing results:
Janis Hansen (manager) - Wikipedia

More sad news, 50 years and a couple of months after meeting her, taking my avatar photo (with Lani) , and about a week after my mother's passing .... rest in peace.....

50 years and a couple of months after meeting her, taking my avatar photo (with Lani) , and about a week after my mother's passing .... rest in peace.....
I offer my heartfelt condolences about your mother's passing.

I had downloaded the highest-resolution available scans of those two photos that you had taken at the Michigan State Fair 50 years ago, and those pics are just wonderful. In fact, those photos have newly-added significance, now that Janis has left this world.

I can imagine, if I was in your position (on that day you took those photos) -- as a 17-year-old boy, with those two lovely ladies in front of me, I don't know if I could have held the camera steady enough -- my hand would have been shaking, at least a bit. (Of course, I would have tried to suppress or hide that fact from them, as best as I could have.) : )

I am fortunate to have been married to Janis for 48 years. She was the most remarkable, intelligent, talented, dynamic and compassionate person I have ever known. Knowing, loving and living with Janis was the greatest gift in my life. I am trying to deal with losing her, and it is the hardest trial of my life.
Janis had an incredibly unique voice, blending innocence and sensuality... perfect pitch... perfect timing. The unrecorded songs she wrote and produced with Russ Freeman (Rippingtons) evoked a wholly different side of Janis. A pity that they were never released.
She was a treasured gift to all who knew her.
She would have said "Thank you" for your appreciative comments, so I'll say it on her behalf.
And, for the comment about her hair (blond or brunette)... Janis' hair shone red like burnished copper, a true redhead.

Janis and her husband Richard both were absolutely wonderful to me via a long set of email exchanges many years ago. I helped Janis reconnect with Jose Soares, though I have absolutely no clear recollection of how I did that, and Janis and Richard mailed me a complete set of their Bible Stories set that I donated to the church I was Music Directing for at the time. She was so touched by the fact that some of us knew she was the voice on Look of Love.
I am so glad that you found the Bible stories useful. I don't remember the email exchange, but thanks for the comment.

I offer my heartfelt condolences about your mother's passing.

I had downloaded the highest-resolution available scans of those two photos that you had taken at the Michigan State Fair 50 years ago, and those pics are just wonderful. In fact, those photos have newly-added significance, now that Janis has left this world.

I can imagine, if I was in your position (on that day you took those photos) -- as a 17-year-old boy, with those two lovely ladies in front of me, I don't know if I could have held the camera steady enough -- my hand would have been shaking, at least a bit. (Of course, I would have tried to suppress or hide that fact from them, as best as I could have.) : )
I would be grateful for any pictures of Janis you have from that day.

If you are referring to the picture in the L.A. Times obituary, it is indeed Janis. I am her husband and wrote and placed the obit.
Thanks for the confirmation as well as clarification Richard and Welcome to the Forum and May I Extend my condolences Janis was Truly a One of a Kind Talent she is very much missed.

I would be grateful for any pictures of Janis you have from that day.
Wow, it's incredible that we have Janis's widower, himself, on this thread. I'm so glad you joined us, Mr. Klinger.

To clarify -- _I_ don't have any photos of Janis.
I had just downloaded digital copies of the two scans that Brasil_66_Fan had posted from that Michigan State Fair in 1967 (October).

Those two photos really are great. (At the time, the camera may have been regarded as a cheap camera, but I think it has a quality that today's digital pics lack. Not to mention the historical and aesthetic value of the subject matter!)

Back
Top Bottom