⭐ Official Review [Album]: "LOVELINES" (SP-3931)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 18 20.0%

Votes: 48 53.3%

Votes: 15 16.7%

Votes: 8 8.9%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
My brother Mike won't let me pay on Amazon or other websites.:mad::twisted: I just went to Barnes And Noble & paid for the CD & shipped it to home delivery. Could be 1 to 2 weeks. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Mitch Margo, an Original Member of the Tokens, Dies at 70
"Mitch Margo, an original member of the Tokens, the singing group best known for their hit “The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” died on Nov. 24 at his home in Studio City, Calif. He was 70."
----
"Several songs Mr. Margo wrote or helped write were recorded by other artists, including “Laugh,” released by the Monkees in 1967, and “Slow Dance,” released by the Carpenters in 1989."
----

Mitch Margo was also a member of Cross Country (3 out of the 4 Tokens members) on ATCO Records in 1973. The trio had a remake of Wilson Pickett "In The Midnight Hour" in October of 1973 peaking at # 30 on Billboard Hot 100 Charts. The album only went to # 198 on Billboard Top 200 Album Chart. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Actually I think there were 5 members of The Tokens instead of 4 but I am not sure. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I read in the Coleman Carpenters Book, that 2 singles were released from "Lovelines". 1. "If I Had You" (Karen Carpenter) b/w "The Uninvited Guest" (Carpenters) and "You're The One" b/w ? . I have never seen a physical single. Can anyone verify this here? Thanks

I read in the Coleman Carpenters Book, that 2 singles were released from "Lovelines". 1. "If I Had You" (Karen Carpenter) b/w "The Uninvited Guest" (Carpenters) and "You're The One" b/w ? . I have never seen a physical single. Can anyone verify this here? Thanks
I have never heard of "You're The One" being released as a single.
The only CD Single I have with "You're The One" on it is this one from the UK 1990
Carpenters - Merry Christmas Darling

The other you mentioned "If I Had You" was released as a single no artwork just a plain a felt lined plastic case here. Click on pic for more details. 1989 Promo CD.
Karen Carpenter - If I Had You

I have never heard of "You're The One" being released as a single.
The only CD Single I have with "You're The One" on it is this one from the UK 1990
Carpenters - Merry Christmas Darling

The other you mentioned "If I Had You" was released as a single no artwork just a plain a felt lined plastic case here. Click on pic for more details. 1989 Promo CD.
Karen Carpenter - If I Had You
Apparently there was a cassette single-only release of “If I Had You/The Uninvited Guest” released under just Karen’s name. You can see the artwork on the original CTYRTC DVD from 1999.

Finally I got the CD in the mail Saturday morning!!! :) The CD is in blue not the regular silver CD. The 8 page book itself was copied from a printer though. The song "Slow Dance" is my favorite. The song "If I Had You" reminds me of Debbie Gibson!! The song "Little Girl Blue" reminds me of Canadian singer Sarah Slean. The song "You're The One" is Karen's finest performance. The song "The Uninvited Guest" is a close second for me. The CD runs 47:04 in length. I rate this 4 stars out of 5 stars!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Finally I got the CD in the mail Saturday morning!!! :) The CD is in blue not the regular silver CD. The 8 page book itself was copied from a printer though.

It sounds like you got it from a 3rd party vendor and doesn't sound like an official CD, I've never heard of a blue Lovelines CD and if the insert booklet was copied then it sure sounds like a CDR. It's also possible it was ripped at a much lower bit rate than an official CD.

It sounds like you got it from a 3rd party vendor and doesn't sound like an official CD, I've never heard of a blue Lovelines CD and if the insert booklet was copied then it sure sounds like a CDR. It's also possible it was ripped at a much lower bit rate than an official CD.
Especially since the original CD was done in 16-bit/44.1 while the Remastered Classics version was pressed in the HDCD format that allowed for 24-Bit/44.1khz to be pressed on the disc (but it’s still playable on a regular CD player).

Nope. HDCD = 20-bit/44.1 kHz, not 24-bit

The HDCD Enigma
Sorry have disagree with you. According to Mark Linett in the CD booklet for the Beach Boys “Little Deuce Coupe/All Summer Long”:

‘This disc has been mastered using the Pacific Microsonics HDCD system which encodes 24 bits onto a conventional 16 bit CD.’ - Mark Linett, Los Angeles, CA, December 2000.

I think were getting off topic with the bit rate stuff, perhaps we could make a separate thread on quality of bit rates etc.
I know I'm only adding to it but where was it noted that the remastered classics was pressed to HDCD format? I've never heard that one.

It's not like I want to be off topic, but I really dislike having erroneous information in our threads. HDCD is 20 bits. That's a fact. Look it up.

The Carpenters Remastered Classics will light up the HDCD indicator on players so equipped, and in Windows Media Player. But it's an outdated technology that is pretty much abandoned.

To get any minor benefit from the technology, you have to play that CD in a player so equipped. If you simply rip the tracks ti a compressed format any and all benefits are lost.

If anything, there are those that believe that an HDCD disc can sound poorer on a standard CD player. It may account for what some have recently described as sounding brittle.

Yeah I popped in my Close To You Remastered Classics CD (US) and opened VLC and it hovered around 1400 to 1500 bit rate. I don't have windows media player. I also opened the CD using iTunes and it read the same bit rate as a normal CD, so I guess you have to have a player that picks up the higher bit rate. It sounds minor anyway. I'll open it using my blu ray player and see what that shows maybe that will pick it up.

I should have bought the "Lovelines" CD back in 1999 or 2000 back then!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI
Matt, the official CD is still very easy to find and very inexpensive. There are several on e bay that will give you an idea what it looks like so you will know it's an official CD. There are also brand new ones for about $12.00 or $13.00

You will see the CD has a mirror finish and this one has the original booklet and only $6.20 total
CARPENTERS Lovelines (CD, Oct-1989, A&M Pop-u.s.) 75021393127 | eBay

Here is another for only $8.62 total
Carpenters, Lovelines, CD 1989 A&M Records | eBay

These I've posted are both buy it now so no haggling.

Yeah I popped in my Close To You Remastered Classics CD (US) and opened VLC and it hovered around 1400 to 1500 bit rate. I don't have windows media player. I also opened the CD using iTunes and it read the same bit rate as a normal CD, so I guess you have to have a player that picks up the higher bit rate. It sounds minor anyway. I'll open it using my blu ray player and see what that shows maybe that will pick it up.
That doesn’t mean a thing. Even 2.0 LPCM Blu-Ray tracks are at 1.5Mbps.

And there are freeware apps out that rip HDCD’s to 24-bit PCM for your own use.

You know what, I am getting the Japan import ($ 39.95) from Barnes & Noble & see how it sounds!! On Tuesday, December 26, I will get that by home delivery!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Well finally I listened to the Japanese CD import of "Lovelines" (record sleeve) in SHM sound & it sounds better than the CD - R version. The CD runs 46:43 in length than the 47:04 blue CD. The Japan import also contains a pink sticker of 3 songs mentioned on the CD. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I forgot to mention that there are lyrics to the CD but some are them are misspelled!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom