40th Box Set - genuine?

Good spot, Rick. I missed that period instead of the hyphen on the inner-ring logo. Another good clue that those are faked.

sure looks like it guys, but I tell you what, if it wasn't for those two simple little things they got wrong, how in the hell would anybody tell???
people would be ripped off for thousands and not have a clue.
it least we have a few clues up for people to look at now and know what to look for.
as I said, I paid £30, so I`m still going to enjoy these and not lose sleep about it :)
thanks everyone for the help and advise, it really is appreciated. out of interest, was the 30th anniversary set faked as well or anything else come to that?

I can tell immediately that that cd is a fake there is a little area with printing on it which is common to fakes see my earlier link to the Led zeppelin fakes I have it shouldn’t be on The disc at all

CC IFI 308 shouldn’t be on the disc

The way I look at this is even if a person were to get a full refund from the seller on this item because of it being a counterfeit eBay still needs to know that counterfeits are being sold using their website. It's not the responsibility of the buyer to determine the validity of a seller that is eBay's job.

In addition, I'm sure Universal would like to see a pic of this counterfeit box and where it was sold. Royalties are being stolen from Universal, A&M and Richard & Karen Carpenter.

Sadly if no one contacts eBay and we accept these...how will the fakes stop?
These fakes started showing up only weeks after the original was released, and from the photos in this thread, they are getting better. Imagine how many people have bought a fake set in the last eight years, and I bet that most of those people still have no idea that they own a fake! :sad: Sure, anyone that discovers that the set they bought on eBay is fake, or sees one for sale that looks suspicious, should definitely contact eBay and complain. But the worst that will happen is that the seller gets banned. And then the next day another one pops up selling the same item. It's like a game of whack-a-mole. It's not just eBay... it took me only a few minutes on Google, to find three web stores that are selling the fake 40th anniversary set (and hundreds of fake box sets by other artists ). It's never going to stop until the Chinese government cracks down on the pirates... yeah, right! :rolleyes:

sure looks like it guys, but I tell you what, if it wasn't for those two simple little things they got wrong, how in the hell would anybody tell???
people would be ripped off for thousands and not have a clue.
it least we have a few clues up for people to look at now and know what to look for.
as I said, I paid £30, so I`m still going to enjoy these and not lose sleep about it :)
thanks everyone for the help and advise, it really is appreciated. out of interest, was the 30th anniversary set faked as well or anything else come to that?

the ones being " ripped off " are mr carpenter, the Karen carpenter estate, songwriters, and stockholders, either through actual company stock or participants of a fund. it is much greater than innocently buying product with a missing apostrophe.

I don't know, historically, if there were bootleg lp being sold, but I was alive to witness the deluge when record companies added eight track tapes to the line-up. soon, blank tapes and tape recorders were available to the consumer; new " growth market " is created.

They'll never stop no matter what happens. This is a problem with the digital world. And if you stop one guy there are two or three others to replace him.

Correct. And as we've seen in this thread alone, they get better with every attempt. It's easy to spot spelling and punctuation errors - but what if they get those right? It becomes a lot harder to spot.

And for most people, they probably don't really care about the genuine article. If it plays and sounds decent in their player, they're happy. And digital copying almost always sounds just fine.

They'll never stop no matter what happens. This is a problem with the digital world. And if you stop one guy there are two or three others to replace him.
I'm sure your right BUT doing nothing only perpetuates the fraud. After its affected 1 person and you do nothing it's like accepting what happened to you is ok. It's not ok and if you report what is wrong then the buyer has done their due diligence. It won't correct the whole problem but can make a difference.

I'm actually kinda surprised at some of the responses...isn't it better to do something than do nothing at all and accept what you know is a counterfeit CD collection?

Last edited:
On the subject of bootlegs, I actually saw a bootleg vinyl copy of Now & Then on eBay a few months ago which had a single sleeve instead of the tri fold. If they bootleg vinyl which was widely available in the 1970s they won’t think twice about bootlegging cd sets which cost £300 on release and will have an endless bunch of takers for knock offs at a 1/6 of retail. Sad but true.
The seller of the Now & Then though was straight up and said that it was a pirate vinyl release, the cover image was blurred and inaccurate, why people would bootleg such albums mystifies me unless it’s in a country like Russia or China who outlawed Western music at that time?.

Last edited:
@Rick-An Ordinary Fool

`isn't it better to do something than do nothing at all and accept what you know is a counterfeit CD collection?`

with respect rick, I`m not accepting it at all, but there`s not a lot I can do about it either. I know how ebay works and I`m out of time to dispute on there anyway, yes, I could go to Paypal, but all that will happen is, I will be obliged to return it, at my cost now and what`s more likely to happen is, I will return it and he`ll just re-sell it back on again.
I also think telling Ebay is a complete waste of time, because I`ve reported no end of stuff to ebay as fake and they just don`t do anything. go on ebay now and type in `THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY`. never released on DVD, but it`s always there.
another one I reported, at least a dozen times, was this cd below. they never do anything and I even rang them once and promised to look into it. in the end, I actually got in touch with UNIVERSAL MUSIC, after which, I haven't seen it listed since;

s-l16000.jpg

so I`m not condoning piracy at all by keeping it. you may agree or disagree, but it cost me a silly £30 so I may as well just keep it with me and listen to it, rather than it just be passed on to someone else! if it was selling dozens a week, that`s a different matter, but as pointed out by others, given the level of copying etc by china, I hardly think my 10 year old boxset is going to make headlines now :) like I said, I don`t condone it and I`m as disappointed as anyone, because these 30th & 40th sets are the two things I wanted more than anything, so please stop commenting as if I`m in the wrong :)

Well I think at this point all that really matters is whether your happy. It's just a shame that you went to seek out the original and you were sold that one. It's terrible when this stuff happens to fans like us...all the best to you on this set.

Well I think at this point all that really matters is whether your happy. It's just a shame that you went to seek out the original and you were sold that one. It's terrible when this stuff happens to fans like us...all the best to you on this set.

certainly not happy sir, in fact, really disappointed, because the cheapest I`ve seen this, is £800, which even as a fan and collector, is a lot of money :)
I agree, it is a shame and I don`t think there`s anything that isn't faked today, especially from china.
anyway, it is what it is bud, so lets not fall out :) again, thank you for your help!

Great thanks for posting :righton:.

I’m assuming track 19 is the live version from the Tonight Show?
I just found it on YouTube. It sounds like some one has taken the tracks that have been circulating for years from old VHS and audio cassette recordings, cleaned them up and then mixed them into new jazz recordings of the songs.

your welcome rick :)

@tomswift2002

been floating around for probably around a year now. until I got in touch with universal, it popped up on Ebay every now and again for around £10.

I just had a look on ebay for THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY and that's still there as well from Australia. the seller even admits in the feedback they are copies!

These fakes started showing up only weeks after the original was released, It's not just eBay... it took me only a few minutes on Google, to find three web stores that are selling the fake 40th anniversary set (and hundreds of fake box sets by other artists ). It's never going to stop until the Chinese government cracks down on the pirates... yeah, right! :rolleyes:

My inquisitive nature has directed me to try and find these fakes online to see were the crooks are plying their trade?, I’ve looked and cannot find a single site!. Maybe my browsing skills ain’t that refined!.

Back
Top Bottom