Instrumental versions of The Carpenters music.Any Thoughts?

Bobberman

For my first post of the new year I thought I would offer a topic that hasn't been covered here previously and that as the title says Instrumental cover versions of the Carpenters music which I own several such as albums "The Ventures Play The Carpenters " from 1973 and The Studio group Spectrum and their CD " The Music of The Carpenters" on the Intersound Label from 1995 and I also have Many various artist compilation CDs which have some specific Carpenters hits in the mix and not to forget Richard Carpenter's 1996 instrumental CD covering Some of the songs these are only a few examples that i am aware of so Now i Turn this thread over To All of You for your thoughts and experiences on the subject sometimes I prefer to hear just the music. Even though I enjoy the originals equally as much as the instrumentals

Nice topic!

This gives me the perfect excuse to share my choice, which would be this track by Richard Clayderman. I’ve yet to hear a more beautiful instrumental cover of a Carpenters track than this. Still gives me goosebumps to this day, especially the strings. Listen out for the beautiful orchestral swell as it goes into the second chorus :love:

Richard Carpenter himself reviewed the album when it was released and was on record as saying he was more impressed with this track than any other on the collection.

To this day I think this is Richard’s most beautiful melody.

Last edited:
Nice topic!

This gives me the perfect excuse to share my choice, which would be this track by Richard Clayderman. I’ve yet to hear a more beautiful instrumental cover of a Carpenters track than this. Still gives me goosebumps to this day, especially the strings. Listen out for the beautiful orchestral swell as it goes into the second chorus :love:

Richard Carpenter himself reviewed the album when it was released and was on record as saying he was more impressed with this track than any other on the collection.

To this day I think this is Richard’s most beautiful melody.

I agree and I also own this one .which reminds me, There is a Richard Clayderman album full of all Carpenters covers it may be only available for download as many of the CDs are out of print

It is my pleasure to recommend another favorite artist of mine, Jim Brickman. In 2011, he released Yesterday Once More: A Tribute to the Music of the Carpenters. I have been a fan of his since he first came on the scene in the mid-1990s. To me, he is very similar to Richard Carpenter, in that, while he does sing (for Jim, though, rarely), he is primarily a pianist, composer, and arranger. He also produced a touring show, "Yesterday Once More," in 2012, which I attended and wrote about in this now-closed thread, Jim Brickman Produced "Yesterday Once More" Live Show .

On Jim's tribute CD, he treats the listener to wonderful piano renditions of Carpenters' iconic hits (12 in total).

I only have two cd`s, one of which is terrible and the other one is nice to listen to.
the terrible one is `SOLITAIRE PERFORM THE CARPENTERS GREATEST HITS`, which makes my ears bleed!
the other one is `LONDON SYNPHONIC ORCHESTRA PLAYS THE CARPENTERS` and is a nice listen :)

oddly enough, when I mention to people about the carpenters, I`ve had a couple say to me, `o yes, are they something to do with panpipes` :rolleyes:

It’s sad, but true that few today under 40 years of age know the Carpenters. One positive note on this is that eventually there will be a rediscovery of sorts for her voice will soar higher in a world void of any image issue.

It’s sad, but true that few today under 40 years of age know the Carpenters. One positive note on this is that eventually there will be a rediscovery of sorts for her voice will soar higher in a world void of any image issue.

Thankfully, due to Richard’s participation in the various documentaries and music projects since Karen’s passing, they’ve enjoyed mini-resurgences over the years (1985, 1990, 1995 in particular). As Richard gets older and further into retirement, these opportunities have significantly started to lessen. He’s already commented once or twice that he’s said everything there is to say on the their story, so that doesn’t bode well for the future.

Thankfully, due to Richard’s participation in the various documentaries and music projects since Karen’s passing, they’ve enjoyed mini-resurgences over the years (1985, 1990, 1995 in particular). As Richard gets older and further into retirement, these opportunities have significantly started to lessen. He’s already commented once or twice that he’s said everything there is to say on the their story, so that doesn’t bode well for the future.
They had a mini-resurgence back in 2016. Sure it was the UK, but still, your album doesn’t hit #2 if there’s very little demand.

They had a mini-resurgence back in 2016. Sure it was the UK, but still, your album doesn’t hit #2 if there’s very little demand.

Albums can sell a paltry amount to reach the top 5 in the charts these days, but I take your point :)

not so sure, I see lots of kids singing her stuff, have you seen this one;

I only have two cd`s, one of which is terrible and the other one is nice to listen to.
the terrible one is `SOLITAIRE PERFORM THE CARPENTERS GREATEST HITS`, which makes my ears bleed!
the other one is `LONDON SYNPHONIC ORCHESTRA PLAYS THE CARPENTERS` and is a nice listen :)

oddly enough, when I mention to people about the carpenters, I`ve had a couple say to me, `o yes, are they something to do with panpipes` :rolleyes:
Im very Familiar with The Panpipes ( and variations of artists using the Zamfir's instrument of choice) like Many similar orchestra and Studio groups they also covered many popular songs of the last 5 decades including the Carpenters and personally I like their version of The Beatles "Here comes the Sun" that's just me but much of this instrumental cover music Was originally only available to Easy Listening Radio stations for on air play only and various shopping establishments for custom functional play however over the last almost 2 decades a huge amount of it was finally made available for public sale and thankfully I was able to get in on the ones I wanted but now some of them went out of print. And some of The Carpenters music was part of those instrumental sets I've been a fan of instrumentals all my life Thanks to Herb Alpert and other A&M artists they were my gateway so to speak.

I’ve got a number of Carpenters instrumental CD’s by numerous “orchestra’s”, but I think all the discs where done by the same person on an electric keyboard and then just released under different names and and different order and I’m some cases a “new” song inserted. Of course Richard Clayderman’s CD’s and Richard Carpenter’s second album are better.

I’ve got a number of Carpenters instrumental CD’s by numerous “orchestra’s”, but I think all the discs where done by the same person on an electric keyboard and then just released under different names and and different order and I’m some cases a “new” song inserted. Of course Richard Clayderman’s CD’s and Richard Carpenter’s second album are better.
I think it was a standard practice to repackage these kind of albums under different names and add newer tracks I have several CDs like this too Its the way they are marketed .it's interesting though

Here are a few of my favorite instrumental versions of Carpenters songs:

Rainy Days and Mondays by Roger Williams

I Won't Last a Day Without You by Paul Mauriat

I also owned this album by Ferrante and Teicher at one point and particularly enjoy their version of "All of My Life"

Here are a few of my favorite instrumental versions of Carpenters songs:

Rainy Days and Mondays by Roger Williams

I Won't Last a Day Without You by Paul Mauriat

I also owned this album by Ferrante and Teicher at one point and particularly enjoy their version of "All of My Life"

Now those are 3 artists I know well and I own a lot of music by them Roger Williams Paul Mauriat and Ferrante And Teicher are just 3 legendary EZ instrumentalists that have covered Carpenters hits there are many others who did the same but these are Excellent

It is my pleasure to recommend another favorite artist of mine, Jim Brickman. In 2011, he released Yesterday Once More: A Tribute to the Music of the Carpenters. I have been a fan of his since he first came on the scene in the mid-1990s. To me, he is very similar to Richard Carpenter, in that, while he does sing (for Jim, though, rarely), he is primarily a pianist, composer, and arranger. He also produced a touring show, "Yesterday Once More," in 2012, which I attended and wrote about in this now-closed thread, Jim Brickman Produced "Yesterday Once More" Live Show .

On Jim's tribute CD, he treats the listener to wonderful piano renditions of Carpenters' iconic hits (12 in total).

I finally got around to listening to this Jim Brickman album this afternoon (on TIDAL, but it's also available on the other major streaming services). Thanks James for the recommendation! I thoroughly enjoyed Jim's performance of Carpenters classics - he's a seriously gifted pianist!

This got me thinking... what if Richard Carpenter would have done some instrumental albums over the years (a la Clayderman and Brickman), giving his own unique style to current hit songs, and classics by other artists that inspired him, along with some new compositions? He could have had a long, successful, second career if he'd wanted it!

It's a tie for me between Jim Brickman and Pat Metheny as far as tribute album instrumentals go. I have this in my iTunes collection but it is not available in US anymore. A Symphonic Prelude Alfred Reed Tokai University Dai-yon High School Wind Orchestra. It is enjoyable. Maybe someone has posted it? Maybe there are other high school / university collaborations out there?

I finally got around to listening to this Jim Brickman album this afternoon (on TIDAL, but it's also available on the other major streaming services). Thanks James for the recommendation! I thoroughly enjoyed Jim's performance of Carpenters classics - he's a seriously gifted pianist!

This got me thinking... what if Richard Carpenter would have done some instrumental albums over the years (a la Clayderman and Brickman), giving his own unique style to current hit songs, and classics by other artists that inspired him, along with some new compositions? He could have had a long, successful, second career if he'd wanted it!

Murray, I'm thrilled that you also found Jim enjoyable! He clearly loves the Carpenters, and he did a great job with his tribute CD. Also, like our friend Harriet, he is terrific with fans: he has a very active website, features exclusive offers to members of his VIP fan club, and routinely does meet-and-greets with fans at his concerts.

Your ideas for Richard's second career would have been right in his wheelhouse!

Great Posts So far Everyone. It's nice to know there are others beside me who enjoy hearing the Carpenters music instrumentally although I know of other examples and artists who have covered their music however I will leave it to the rest of you to continue to add your knowledge and contributions and as always I will add my two cents worth when applicable. Let's Keep it Going Friends.

I would have loved for Richard Carpenter to make Instrumental albums after hearing Time and his 1996 CD of Carpenters covers I hoped he would make more instrumentals I sure would have collected them all.

Back
Top Bottom