"Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again"

But then there are other times, like the UK release of Gold where Canada (Or I should say we were able to get it, but it was an import, and came with the "Special Import" label from Universal Music on the front cover, just like Live In Japan was a "Special Import") never received that album, instead we waited for 3 years until the 2-CD versions that was released in the US was released. Even the 1969-1981 album had the goofy looking version released here in Canada that was released in the US, and to this day I've never seen the other photo on the disc whenever I've seen it for sale here in Canada. Of course Canada has had its small share of Carpenters releases like the 1978 2-record (and 2 different cover) set The Carpenters Collection (The Carpenters Collection (1978) ) and the late-80's Reminiscing.
All the "Remastered Classics" CDs that I ever saw in stores here were pressed in the US, and had the import sticker on them. It was probably a lot cheaper for Polygram/Universal to do it that way, rather than a limited domestic production run for catalogue titles that wouldn't have been huge sellers. I was looking on Amazon.ca, at the recent "Herb Alpert Presents" reissue CDs, and they are only available as US imports (yet the titles were officially released in Canada, but only as digital downloads / streaming). This is happening more and more as the market for CDs continues to shrink, especially for back catalogue or niche / heritage artists.

All the "Remastered Classics" CDs that I ever saw in stores here were pressed in the US, and had the import sticker on them. It was probably a lot cheaper for Polygram/Universal to do it that way, rather than a limited domestic production run for catalogue titles that wouldn't have been huge sellers. I was looking on Amazon.ca, at the recent "Herb Alpert Presents" reissue CDs, and they are only available as US imports (yet the titles were officially released in Canada, but only as digital downloads / streaming). This is happening more and more as the market for CDs continues to shrink, especially for back catalogue or niche / heritage artists.
My copies of the RC versions of "A Kind Of Hush" and "Made In America" never had the import stickers on them, even though both say that they were printed in the US. Now then my copies of the RC TTR & CTY did have the import sticker on them. And I remember the Winnipeg HMV's I found them at (except for Ticket, I ordered that later) had huge displays of Carpenters during the crossover week of June-July 2000, promoting the 1969-1981 album.

But I've seen a number of items ranging from other artists CD's to books to Blu-Rays that were printed/pressed in the US and then just shipped to the warehouses up here.

My copies of the RC versions of "A Kind Of Hush" and "Made In America" never had the import stickers on them, even though both say that they were printed in the US. Now then my copies of the RC TTR & CTY did have the import sticker on them. And I remember the Winnipeg HMV's I found them at (except for Ticket, I ordered that later) had huge displays of Carpenters during the crossover week of June-July 2000, promoting the 1969-1981 album.

But I've seen a number of items ranging from other artists CD's to books to Blu-Rays that were printed/pressed in the US and then just shipped to the warehouses up here.

Understandable with videos, DVDs, and Blu-rays, since they are all format and region dependent. Canada and the US and Mexico are all on whatever the North American standards are. The UK is in a different region and on the PAL system for video. High-def Blu-rays are the same as far as the video system goes, but most UK Blu-rays are in Region B.

Some strange things I still don't understand, I don't have the exact release dates but the UK CD of Interpretations was released in 1994, the UK CD Single also has the dates 1994 both on the CD and inner single jacket. I was always under the impression that CD singles were released just prior to the full CD, if that was the case, why would the CD single contain the cleaned up version (mouth clicks removed) but the UK CD of Interpretations containing "Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again" with the 94' version that contains the mouth clicks intact. 2 different versions were used in the UK on CD.

The album was definitely released before the single, which would explain why the versions are different: Richard went back after the UK album release and touched it up for release as a single. I had had the album for some time before the single came out and when I bought it, I immediately noticed the changes, mostly the snare drum which sounded crisper.

The single was released on December 12, 1994 and reached its chart peak of #44 in the UK on December 24, 1994.

Last edited:
The album was definitely released before the single, which would explain why the versions are different: Richard went back after the UK album release and touched it up for release as a single. I had had the album for some time before the single came out and when I bought it, I immediately noticed the changes, mostly the snare drum which sounded crisper.

The single was released on December 12, 1994 and reached its chart peak of #44 in the UK on December 24, 1994.

Indeed, the Interpretations album came out in mid-October, so the single followed almost two months later (this may explain why the single didn't chart higher as it had already been made available to fans on the album). I have a copy of the 7" single, but I never knew the version on there was different from the version on the album. I'll have to dig it out...

My cd Single:
" Release Date: 21 November 1994 "
Trying To Get The Feeling Again/Sing/Close To You ,

And, this:
"All tracks taken from the forthcoming A&M Album Interpretations."

Last edited:
My cd Single:
" Release Date: 21 November 1994 "
Trying To Get The Feeling Again/Sing/Close To You ,

And, this:
"All tracks taken from the forthcoming A&M Album Interpretations."

Where did you get the date from? CD credits and other details on the back cover don't usually specify an exact date of release...I'm convinced the album came out at least a couple of months before the single. I'll check my copy tonight.

The date is stamped on an overlayed sticker, here is everything--in exact order of occurrence:
(White background)
" A&M Records Release Date 21 Nov 1994,
Julian Spear,Sean Cooney,Jo Bennett,Nick McEwen
(071)705-4343,"
(Orange Background)
"Being hotly tipped as a possible winter No. 1, this never before heard track is
released in celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the Carpenters signing to A&M."
"Album, Interpretations, also out now."

Even the 1969-1981 album had the goofy looking version released here in Canada that was released in the US, and to this day I've never seen the other photo on the disc whenever I've seen it for sale here in Canada. Of course Canada has had its small share of Carpenters releases like the 1978 2-record (and 2 different cover) set The Carpenters Collection (The Carpenters Collection (1978) ) and the late-80's Reminiscing.
That's a good way to describe the cover photo. I know exactly what you mean.

To me, it sometimes seems that Carpenters' promo and artistic teams from their record companies, whether intentially or unintentially, were against Karen and Richard right into the new millennium. Some of their choices for photos of album covers have been dubious, to say the least. With all the attractive photos available of the duo, I can't believe some of the choices. 'Their Greatest Hits', '(Only Yesterday)', 'Karen Carpenter' and 'The Singles 1969-1981', especially the 'goofy' version, as Tom Swift so aptly calls it, are three that spring to mind. Then there's the 'As Time Goes By' cover where Karen has her eyes closed, her face very pale and her head resting on the back of the car seat and looks as if she's already dead, to my mind. It's as if the promo and artistic teams wanted to put the public off buying the albums. (There are much more attractive photos from the photo session in the car that could have been used for the cover of 'As Time Goes By').

When I see a couple of the photos from the 'Karen Carpenter' session, it makes me wonder whether Karen realised what the photographer / director were suggesting through some of the poses they got her to do. For a few of the pictures, they were obviously going for a suggestive look in keeping with the sexual nature of some of the lyrics. The one where she's pinned to the back of the chair with her back to the camera, legs apart, arms out in semi-defence, looking over her shoulder with a pained expression provides a case in point. I think it's gross. Thank goodness that nothing like that appeared on the cover but the pic chosen isn't a particularly nice looking one, either.

With Karen looking so unhealthy, the aristic team had their work cut out for them in trying to get some of the pics looking acceptable over the years. For example, when you see the original untouched print of the inner-sleeve photo from 'Made in America', you realise that Karen had very blood-shot eyes, unhealthy, blotchy skin, dark shadows around her eyes and lots of wrinkles, (for her age). Terrible the punishment she put her body through.

Also, it seems that Richard took a consistently good photo whereas Karen, like most of us, didn't. I don't know that I've ever seen a bad picture of Richard, although sometimes he looks serious. Nothing wrong with that, though. He didn't have to smile all the time.

My point is, there are a lot of attractive photos of both Karen and Richard available. Why have not particularly nice ones been chosen for some of the album covers? I suppose it's a matter of personal choice. For example, I've read some people praising the cover of 'As Time Goes By' recently. Different people like different things.

I like the As Time Goes By photos. In 1974, Karen looked her best. I’d rather not think of original photos from the photo sessions from Made In America thinking had Karen survived she wouldn’t want them seen either.
Richard does not look his best in the A Kind Of Hush album cover. He looked best in 1974, too.
I always wondered with all the good photos in 1974-1975 that were available, older pictures from 1972 is what I remember seeing in 1974. It wasn’t until after the 1976 People Magazine article that those older ones started to fade from magazine covers and the Horizon and Hush years started to be seen in most magazines. It could have just been the area I grew up in, but nevertheless, it was just an observation.
I used to be curious to see them in the award shows and tv performances for their appearance always seemed to change at the same time through the years to me.

The date is stamped on an overlayed sticker, here is everything--in exact order of occurrence:
(White background)
" A&M Records Release Date 21 Nov 1994,
Julian Spear,Sean Cooney,Jo Bennett,Nick McEwen
(071)705-4343,"
(Orange Background)
"Being hotly tipped as a possible winter No. 1, this never before heard track is
released in celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the Carpenters signing to A&M."
"Album, Interpretations, also out now."

That sounds like an advance promo sticker on your copy of the single. It may be that A&M originally planned a November release date for the single (the album had already been out since early October) but pushed it back a few weeks for some reason. The single definitely didn't appear in the shops until at least the second week of December though.

That's a good way to describe the cover photo. I know exactly what you mean.

To me, it sometimes seems that Carpenters' promo and artistic teams from their record companies, whether intentially or unintentially, were against Karen and Richard right into the new millennium. Some of their choices for photos of album covers have been dubious, to say the least. With all the attractive photos available of the duo, I can't believe some of the choices. 'Their Greatest Hits', '(Only Yesterday)', 'Karen Carpenter' and 'The Singles 1969-1981', especially the 'goofy' version, as Tom Swift so aptly calls it, are three that spring to mind. Then there's the 'As Time Goes By' cover where Karen has her eyes closed, her face very pale and her head resting on the back of the car seat and looks as if she's already dead, to my mind. It's as if the promo and artistic teams wanted to put the public off buying the albums. (There are much more attractive photos from the photo session in the car that could have been used for the cover of 'As Time Goes By').

When I see a couple of the photos from the 'Karen Carpenter' session, it makes me wonder whether Karen realised what the photographer / director were suggesting through some of the poses they got her to do. For a few of the pictures, they were obviously going for a suggestive look in keeping with the sexual nature of some of the lyrics. The one where she's pinned to the back of the chair with her back to the camera, legs apart, arms out in semi-defence, looking over her shoulder with a pained expression provides a case in point. I think it's gross. Thank goodness that nothing like that appeared on the cover but the pic chosen isn't a particularly nice looking one, either.

With Karen looking so unhealthy, the aristic team had their work cut out for them in trying to get some of the pics looking acceptable over the years. For example, when you see the original untouched print of the inner-sleeve photo from 'Made in America', you realise that Karen had very blood-shot eyes, unhealthy, blotchy skin, dark shadows around her eyes and lots of wrinkles, (for her age). Terrible the punishment she put her body through.

Also, it seems that Richard took a consistently good photo whereas Karen, like most of us, didn't. I don't know that I've ever seen a bad picture of Richard, although sometimes he looks serious. Nothing wrong with that, though. He didn't have to smile all the time.

My point is, there are a lot of attractive photos of both Karen and Richard available. Why have not particularly nice ones been chosen for some of the album covers? I suppose it's a matter of personal choice. For example, I've read some people praising the cover of 'As Time Goes By' recently. Different people like different things.

I like the photo for the As Time Goes By cover. It avoids the normal pitfall of them with big grins in terrible outfits (see the photo on the inner sleeve of Horizon that was inexplicably recycled for the 40/40 cover for a prime example - both Richard and Karen look awful in that).

I do agree though that the choice of photos on a number of the more recent compliations haven't always been wise. I always thought the picture of them on the second version of the Japanese Anthology compilation from the Horizon era would have been a good choice for a more widely available release.

I think we have our release date for the album version in the UK.

I just got out my 40th anniv box set and the Sweet Sixteen CD of which contains, Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again. It contains the 95 cleaned up version, however the liner notes are somewhat different. Richard says "The impending release of Interpretations in October 1994 provided an excellent reason for me to orchestrate and complete the production"

I think we have our release date for the album version in the UK.

I just got out my 40th anniv box set and the Sweet Sixteen CD of which contains, Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again. It contains the 95 cleaned up version, however the liner notes are somewhat different. Richard says "The impending release of Interpretations in October 1994 provided an excellent reason for me to orchestrate and complete the production"
If you check the booklet for "The Essential Collection", under Richard's notes for "Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again" it's marked "Interpretations - released in the U.k. October 3, 1994/released in the U.S. February 7, 1995".

Also here are a few other dates for ttgtfa: May 31, 1994 strings recorded, June 6, 1994 final mix-down.

Trying To Get The Feeling Again....one of my all-time Karen Carpenter vocals.

Now....given the mis-information which one finds on the "Web"....
we read this from its
Wiki entry:
"Richard was looking for songs to include on Voice of the Heart, ....
According to Richard Carpenter, the basic uncompleted rhythm tracks were found at that time,
but Karen's final production vocal intended for the release of the record had been recorded over and was gone.
.."

Now, that is there, incorrect/inaccurate information--
--on the Wiki page, as of Today, in 2018 !

Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again - Wikipedia

we read this from its
Wiki entry:
According to Richard Carpenter, the basic uncompleted rhythm tracks were found at that time,
but Karen's final production vocal intended for the release of the record had been recorded over and was gone.
.."

Interesting. I was told he found the master when looking for the Only Yesterday master in or around '91 when creating the Master Karaoke album for Japan. Also had never heard anything about a master lead vocal on the track. I wonder where this info came from?

we read this from its
Wiki entry:
.."

Indeed. I'd be inclined to be sceptical of any 'new' information that only appears on Wikipedia and can't be supported by any outside source. As useful as it is in giving a quick overivew, Wikipedia can't really be used as a definitive source in itself.

As it happens, I see that The Carpenters' main article on Wikipedia has recently been rewritten and expanded. Whoever's done this has been very thorough and is obviously a fan, but though he/she has added citations throughout, a good bit of the text reads like supposition that I don't think would be adequately supported by the sources given in those citations...

Interesting. I was told he found the master when looking for the Only Yesterday master in or around '91 when creating the Master Karaoke album for Japan. Also had never heard anything about a master lead vocal on the track. I wonder where this info came from?

You’re right Chris and that Wikipedia entry is wrong. Richard documented in the liner notes for Interpretations that he found the track on the master tape of Only Yesterday when he was preparing tracks for the karaoke album. There’s never been any confirmation that there was ever a final recorded vocal for the song either.

^^It is heartening to know that we "fans" double-check sources !
What is dis-heartening is to realize how many people will turn to the entry in Wiki
and believe what is placed there ! Many will turn no further than that source !
I was appalled to read that entry on Wiki, simply a dissemination of inaccurate information !
But, it's there for all the world to read !

You’re right Chris and that Wikipedia entry is wrong. Richard documented in the liner notes for Interpretations that he found the track on the master tape of Only Yesterday when he was preparing tracks for the karaoke album. There’s never been any confirmation that there was ever a final recorded vocal for the song either.

Don't you just love a good false thrill when reading that stuff?! LOL

^^It is heartening to know that we "fans" double-check sources !
What is dis-heartening is to realize how many people will turn to the entry in Wiki
and believe what is placed there ! Many will turn no further than that source !
I was appalled to read that entry on Wiki, simply a dissemination of inaccurate information !
But, it's there for all the world to read !

I might be wrong, but aren't the public allowed to correct errors on wiki?

Yes. If you spot something wrong, correct it.

If they let you correct it...

Recently, I've been hammered quite often when correcting misinformation. I go do it, then someone reverts it citing that I can't prove what I've said - even though I've cited it. It's happened enough that I've stopped editing Wiki at all. If they're content with misinformation, enjoy.

Ed

True. But I think there's some kind of "resolution" one can go through if you're sure you're right and can site the information. There are a lot of wackos out there who try to provide misinformation on Wiki for their own amusement.

Back
Top Bottom