Karen Philipp sings "Warm" on Julius Wechter album?

I've heard it once or twice, but never realized who the singer was. Has it truly been established that it really WAS Karen. [Edit: Pat Proft has informed that the track "Warm" does NOT have Karen's vocal on it. Remains a mystery - 2023]

Last edited:
According to Mike, he received the information directly from Cissy Wechter in an email from her in 2003. So it's confirmed, the female singer on "Warm" is Karen Philipp.

Also, the female singer on "The Nicest Things Happen" on that Julius Wechter promo album is Jeannie King of The Gin Blossoms.

Last edited:
Well considering the only real yardstick we have to compare the voices with is Karen's recordings with Sergio Mendes on the Stillness and Pais Tropical albums.... to me the voice does not sound like Karen did on those albums. BUT, a lot of things can happen in production to make a voice sound quite different, AND we have Cissy Wechter telling Mikeargo that it is Karen...so, too bad we can't go right to the source and ask Karen.

Interesting how the TJB version the song concludes the Wechter version. I wonder how that came about?

Well considering the only real yardstick we have to compare the voices with is Karen's recordings with Sergio Mendes on the Stillness and Pais Tropical albums.... to me the voice does not sound like Karen did on those albums. BUT, a lot of things can happen in production to make a voice sound quite different, AND we have Cissy Wechter telling Mikeargo that it is Karen...so, too bad we can't go right to the source and ask Karen.

Interesting how the TJB version the song concludes the Wechter version. I wonder how that came about?

Janis Hansen sings the Look of Love. "Warm"'s singer sounds like Janis.

There again...production can make a lot of difference. I don't think it sounds like Janis either, but comparing with her is even harder, since we only have the one solo vocal to compare with. At least with Karen we have a handful of songs.

"Brasil Nut" might be able to check on this with Gracinha.

Another interesting thing about this song is, that organ solo in the middle. You'd think Julius would have wanted to do a marimba solo in there. Anyway, just an observation.

Well, it sounds *more* like Janis than Karen, but Janis sent me a bunch of her solo stuff for her Bible project, and this doesn't really sound like her to my ears.

It's very possible it might have been an unknown session singer but I tend to think it might be Karen Phillip and or her voice altered a bit who knows for sure. But its a great track i never heard the lyrics to Warm until today and the music matches the lyrics Perfectly. IMO

OK all you "golden ears" out there, is it Karen Philipp on this or not? I finally found one of the MUSIC OF JULIUS WECHTER albums for myself, so here's "Warm":

Harry - Does the album mention which year it was made???

Harry - Does the album mention which year it was made???
It does not.

The track list is:

Tracklist
A1 Spanish Flea (TJB / B'66 / BMB? different from AS TIME GOES BY)
A2 Brasilia (TJB)
A3 Up Cherry Street (TJB / Pete Jolly)
A4 Warm (Karen Philipp? / TJB)
A5 The Nicest Things Happen (TJB)

B1 Fowl Play (BMB)
B2 Bean Bag (TJB)
B3 The Nicest Things Happen (Jeannie King?)
B4 Blue Sunday (TJB)
B5 Spanish Flea (Orchestra unidentified)

All of the tracks are mono. The album has a catalog number of LP-8076 with A&M etched into the runout groove.

Based on the catalog number, the album was probably issued around the 1971-72 time period before Julius left A&M for Bell.

The tracks with multiple artists start with one and abruptly switch to another.

Last edited:
Thank you Harry for posting 'Warm'. Been looking for that LP for years and gave up after I retired, moved and left my turntable behind, and went full digital. Wondering if 'The Nicest Things Happen" is the same recording as this one from 1965?

Wonder if that's Manfredo Fest doing the organ solo on 'Warm' .... or maybe Walter Wanderley.

JB

Once again. Thank you Harry for posting the actual song: "Warm". I have been bouncing back and forth between this song "Warm" and comparing it to "Gone Forever" and "So Many People" from the Páis Tropical album. There are some similarities. With someone else in the Producer's chair, "Warm" gives Karen P. a different sound.
What are others' opinions? I thought that there were more Karen Philipp fans out there.

I think there are a lot of Karen P. fans, (me included). She recorded a solo album once, after she left Sergio, that I always wanted to hear. I remember seeing it in catalogs but it never showed up when I ordered it.... always wondered if it really even existed.

Cissy Wechter responded to an email someone sent to her regarding the "Nicest Things Happen" track, and she still maintains that it's Jean King of The Blossoms.

It was indeed Jean King from the Blossoms. It was a very expensive master; not intended to be a demo. Then problems arose with her willingness to have us release it. Alas...it has never been released as a vocal recording.

So I suppose that her info regarding Karen Philipp doing "Warm" is also correct. [Edit: seems not. Pat Proft says it's not Karen Philipp.]

Last edited:
Thank you Harry for posting 'Warm'. Been looking for that LP for years and gave up after I retired, moved and left my turntable behind, and went full digital. Wondering if 'The Nicest Things Happen" is the same recording as this one from 1965?

There is two versions of this piece on the album. One is from TJB recording and the other is the same as the YouTube link of Jean King.

Thanks a million Trevor for this post. "Warm" is one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. My musical discovery of 2018. It has such a sweet and gentle and melodic sound, similar to Roberto Menescal's "Little Boat." Kudos go to its composer, the late great Julius Wechter. The song was so good that Herb had it as the title track for his 1969 TJB album.

Yes sir, the A&M Forum, I wouldn't have discovered this song without the existence of you guys. Thanks for creating this blog so long ago.

Back
Top Bottom