LP / 7" Artwork

“Maybe It’s You” has been moved to side B so what did they do about the segue from “Love Is Surrender”? Is there a clean piano opening on the song on this LP?

The write up on the back is very interesting. First, there is the creative spelling of fantastic ("phantastic??" LOL!!). Second, it actually refers to the group as a QUINTET with Dan, Doug and Bob being counted as official members of the actual group (as opposed to just backing musicians). That's the first time I have ever seen that.

It credits Douglas Alan Strawn and Robert Eugene Messenger on the write up. Did they look up their names on the electoral roll for the credits on this album? :laugh:

everytime I look at this, I always think this would have made a nice cover of an album, or certainly a part of it!
I think Karen looks stunning in this photo :)

20.jpg

bought this off ebay yesterday, never seen this before and a bit different from their usual `style` of covers. almost looks like something someone put together on photoshop :laugh:

s-l300.jpg

Let's say it's a grey market item. Look at the songs in the track list. Look familiar? Yep, it's that HORIZON album again, jumbled up, with a few hits tacked on.

We're not sure what happened with HORIZON, but there are many non-official releases out there with the tracks to HORIZON jumbled up, mostly in Europe. There are many examples of these,

CARPENTERS - CARPENTERS ORIGINALS CD NEW+ 7798093713596 | eBay

...is another one on eBay. These pop up from time to time and all are unofficial, essentially pirated (legally in thesew other countries), and usually made from inferior recordings. Something odd must have happened with the copyright to that album in Europe - that's as much as I know.

everytime I look at this, I always think this would have made a nice cover of an album, or certainly a part of it!
I think Karen looks stunning in this photo :)

20.jpg
A very similar photo (obviously from the same shoot) did make it to the cover of a Japanese compilation. If I could figure out how to post a photo of it, I would, since I have it in my collection.

Let's say it's a grey market item. Look at the songs in the track list. Look familiar? Yep, it's that HORIZON album again, jumbled up, with a few hits tacked on.

We're not sure what happened with HORIZON, but there are many non-official releases out there with the tracks to HORIZON jumbled up, mostly in Europe. There are many examples of these,

CARPENTERS - CARPENTERS ORIGINALS CD NEW+ 7798093713596 | eBay

...is another one on eBay. These pop up from time to time and all are unofficial, essentially pirated (legally in thesew other countries), and usually made from inferior recordings. Something odd must have happened with the copyright to that album in Europe - that's as much as I know.

interesting, thank you harry. I have that one in your ebay link as well.
I`ve also spotted this issue with another one I have as well. this `CARPENTERS ANTHOLOGY` has a `best of` cd in it, which is actually `HORIZON`.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

A very similar photo (obviously from the same shoot) did make it to the cover of a Japanese compilation. If I could figure out how to post a photo of it, I would, since I have it in my collection.

hi john

there are a few about, but the best imaging site I`ve ever used is this one;
Free Image Hosting

once logged in, click `UPLOAD` top of screen
if the image is on your computer, click `BROWSE FROM YOUR COMPUTER`
go to wherever you have the image stored and `DOUBLE CLICK` that image/photo.
now click the green `UPLOAD`.
should then say `UPLOAD COMPLETE`
top of screen, next to upload, click your user name which will show a dropdown, click `MY PROFILE`
your now in your `library`.
click the image you`ve uploaded and scroll down to where you see `EMBED CODES`
drag your pointer across the `IMAGE URL` to highlight it blue, then right click and `COPY` it.
come back to the form and in your reply, click the image link to the right of the smily face and `RIGHT CLICK - PASTE` the code into the box and click `INSERT`.
your photo should now be in your post :)

easy once you`ve done it a couple of times :)

s-l300.jpg

If ever anything screamed "bootleg", ^ that would have to be it.
Yes this looks like a bootleg for sure. Also just because it's on Amazon doesn't mean it's an official release, Amazon is known for selling bootleg CDs and DVDs.

I think there might be a lesson in determining what a bootleg looks like before purchase. Richard has gone on record to say he's not happy about all the royalties he and Karen have lost in bootlegs. It's something that's become so big even he can't control it.

Speaking of that Horizon track listing that seems to make it's rounds in the bootleg world...I remember long before the internet I had ordered some Carpenters CD's and only had titles (no pictures) from a mail order company, one of the titles was The Carpenters Radio Years. I said to myself hmm I don't have that one so I ordered it. I didn't know any better and didn't have anyone to ask or any reference to be sure it was an official release. Sure enough down the road I learned it was a bootleg. I still have it (not sure why) but never play it, the sound is terrible.

I just pulled it out of my CD collection and on the back of the jewel case it says:
Licensed from: The Henry Hadaway Organisatinon.
(yes that's how it's spelled) not sure who they are?

Here is a picture of what it looks like and it's on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Years-Carpenters/dp/B00002497G

Last edited:
Speaking of that Horizon track listing that seems to make it's rounds in the bootleg world...I remember long before the internet I had ordered some Carpenters CD's and only had titles (no pictures) from a mail order company, one of the titles was The Carpenters Radio Years. I said to myself hmm I don't have that one so I ordered it. I didn't know any better and didn't have anyone to ask or any reference to be sure it was an official release. Sure enough down the road I learned it was a bootleg. I still have it (not sure why) but never play it, the sound is terrible.

I just pulled it out of my CD collection and on the back of the jewel case it says:
Licensed from: The Henry Hadaway Organisatinon.
(yes that's how it's spelled) not sure who they are?

Here is a picture of what it looks like and it's on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Years-Carpenters/dp/B00002497G

I have that radio years myself rick and wasn't aware of that.
the problem in buying all this stuff, is knowing what`s real and what isn't, because I like to buy albums/singles etc, from other countries as well as here in the U.K or the states and the problem I have, is that there are so many `variations`, you can`t tell what`s what.
I do have to admit, I looked at that please mr postman and thought the cover was a bit `amateur` really, but like I`ve said before, I`m not an `anorak` about the carpenters and can only take what I see at face value. the 40th anniversary set I have is a good example, because if it wasn't for the fact I came and posted photos here, I would never have known it was fake and I suspect if the truth is know, there are loads of those sets out there and their owners don`t have a clue :)
it`s a tough one and whilst I don`t condone all this bootlegging, I`m not sure what I or anyone else can do either, because I`m sure you guys wouldn't appreciate everyone coming on here every ten minutes asking `is this real` `is this bootleg` `is this fake` as I`m pretty certain it would get annoying after a while :)
thinking as I`m typing, what I may end up doing, is stick to buying stuff from the states, u.k or japan, but even then, there`s no guarantee, because I have to be honest, I often wonder just how much of everything they sell, has permission from Richard.
who knows, I don`t, I just buy the stuff!!

One rule of thumb on these odd compilations is to look for some sign of either an A&M logo, a PolyGram logo, or a Universal logo. Those are the three main companies licensed to issue Carpenters recordings. There are exceptions of course, like Readers Digest, that EMI set from the UK, and budget labels like Karussel, Spectrum, Festival, MFP, etc., but even those will usually point back to A&M or Universal.

On Japanese discs, look for a Jasrac logo to determine if its official.

Another check is to look for the CᴬᴿᴾᴱᴺᵀᴱᴿS logo. Richard has in the past, struck down bootleg releases that used the official logo, but even that is not a guarantee. You have to check all of these things if you want to avoid spending good money on fake product.

Remember - anyone, anywhere, can make a CD and slap artwork on it. That doesn't make it desirable to own.

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, I've never pulled that CD off my shelf in quite a long time but yesterday made me curious who is this Henry Hadaway Organisatinon that's mentioned on the back of this CD. I did a google search and it actually stands for HHO spelled Henry Hadaway Organisation and their website says:

"HHO is one of the UK's longest running independent multimedia companies, with over 45 years in the business.

HHO owns and controls one of the largest independent multimedia catalogues of copyrights in the world, consisting of over 1000 audio-visual titles and over audio 20,000 titles. Audio and Visual master rights are available worldwide for both physical and digital licenses. HHO additionally controls an extensive publishing catalogue. Other provided services include finished product manufacturing (available for export), branding design and digital distribution services for bespoke labels."

So now I'm really confused, because maybe this Carpenters Radio Years is not really a bootleg after all. Can anyone shed some more light on this subject? It appears they had the rights to publish and sell physical CD's of this work, maybe not the Carpenters logo but some master tape. I also don't understand why would A&M UK allow a licensed Horizon album to be sold to this independent label?

So is this technically a bootleg?
So if it doesn't have a Carpenters logo, it's possible the licensed audio was bought out and rights were given to allow it to be sold? I really have no idea.

As I mentioned earlier, I've never pulled that CD off my shelf in quite a long time but yesterday made me curious who is this Henry Hadaway Organisatinon that's mentioned on the back of this CD. I did a google search and it actually stands for HHO spelled Henry Hadaway Organisation and their website says:

"HHO is one of the UK's longest running independent multimedia companies, with over 45 years in the business.

HHO owns and controls one of the largest independent multimedia catalogues of copyrights in the world, consisting of over 1000 audio-visual titles and over audio 20,000 titles. Audio and Visual master rights are available worldwide for both physical and digital licenses. HHO additionally controls an extensive publishing catalogue. Other provided services include finished product manufacturing (available for export), branding design and digital distribution services for bespoke labels."

So now I'm really confused, because maybe this Carpenters Radio Years is not really a bootleg after all. Can anyone shed some more light on this subject? It appears they had the rights to publish and sell physical CD's of this work, maybe not the Carpenters logo but some master tape. I also don't understand why would A&M UK allow a licensed Horizon album to be sold to this independent label?

So is this technically a bootleg?
So if it doesn't have a Carpenters logo, it's possible the licensed audio was bought out and rights were given to allow it to be sold? I really have no idea.

I was always under the impression that a copyright error slipped through in at least one European country, maybe The Netherlands, and that fact allowed them to reprint the HORIZON tracks in any way they saw fit. Then, because of the European Union laws, other countries also managed to slip through this loophole. That HHO probably just released that one "because they could". They all sound bad because they're all copying from one another.

One rule of thumb on these odd compilations is to look for some sign of either an A&M logo, a PolyGram logo, or a Universal logo. Those are the three main companies licensed to issue Carpenters recordings. There are exceptions of course, like Readers Digest, that EMI set from the UK, and budget labels like Karussel, Spectrum, Festival, MFP, etc., but even those will usually point back to A&M or Universal.

On Japanese discs, look for a Jasrac logo to determine if its official.

Another check is to look for the CᴬᴿᴾᴱᴺᵀᴱᴿS logo. Richard has in the past, struck down bootleg releases that used the official logo, but even that is not a guarantee. You have to check all of these things if you want to avoid spending good money on fake product.

Remember - anyone, anywhere, can make a CD and slap artwork on it. That doesn't make it desirable to own.

This is an example of where the logo was used not being official, but is instrumental music there is different copyright terms or is it exactly the same as in music let's say full voice more instrumental? regards..
MI0003462369.jpg

had a couple of vinyls arrive this morning and given how `plain` some of their covers are, it was nice to see this one with some `activity` and colour in it;

141.jpg

haven't seen many of these around either. `horizon` from Taiwan.

145.jpg

Interesting sleeves. On some of the posts, i see the images and on others, all I see is IMG with no image at all. Does anyone know if I need to adjust something my end or is it a problem with the posting.

had a couple of vinyls arrive this morning and given how `plain` some of their covers are, it was nice to see this one with some `activity` and colour in it;

141.jpg

haven't seen many of these around either. `horizon` from Taiwan.

145.jpg
I really like that Now & Then alternate photo, it would have been great to include that for the inner LP jacket.

Is that a vehicle registration certificate on the window?

Interesting sleeves. On some of the posts, i see the images and on others, all I see is IMG with no image at all. Does anyone know if I need to adjust something my end or is it a problem with the posting.

This usually means that the link used to post an image is now obsolete or that the image which was linked has been deleted.

Back
Top Bottom