Other Female Singers

Yep, Linda Ronstadt can't sing anymore though. Linda's last CD was 2007 'Adieu False Heart". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Rolling Stone....excerpt...
See Brandy Clark's Wistful Cover of the Carpenters' 'Merry Christmas, Darling'

"Singer-songwriter offers bittersweet unplugged rendition of the duo's holiday classic, first recorded in 1970.
"Merry Christmas Darling," first recorded by the Carpenters in 1970,
consistently ranks among the perennial Christmas favorites. With the late Karen Carpenter's
dreamy, pristine vocals at the forefront of what is essentially a bummer tune about being separated
during this special time of year, the song has become even more popular since it was first released,
with Natalie Cole, Amy Grant, Glee star Lea Michele, and country artists Deana Carter and Phil Vassar
among those who have covered it."

More:
See Brandy Clark's Cover of the Carpenters' 'Merry Christmas, Darling'

8 New Reinventions of Christmas Classics We’re Loving

"The holidays are officially here, so snuggle up with some eggnog and get
the speakers ready for a new Christmas playlist. While many country artists
have released their own spirited holiday-themed albums in the past,
this year we take a look at some of the most unique reinterpretations
of Christmas classics recorded in 2017."......

.......Brandy Clark's "Merry Christmas, Darling"......

"Brandy Clark's voice shines on her beautiful cover of the Carpenters' "Merry Christmas, Darling."
Accompanied by an acoustic guitar, Clark's stripped-down version of the song highlights the sentimental lyrics
within the holiday classic. "I have just one wish on this Christmas Eve, I wish I were with you," she softly sings."

Rolling Stone....excerpt...
See Brandy Clark's Wistful Cover of the Carpenters' 'Merry Christmas, Darling'

"Singer-songwriter offers bittersweet unplugged rendition of the duo's holiday classic, first recorded in 1970.
"Merry Christmas Darling," first recorded by the Carpenters in 1970,
consistently ranks among the perennial Christmas favorites. With the late Karen Carpenter's
dreamy, pristine vocals at the forefront of what is essentially a bummer tune about being separated
during this special time of year, the song has become even more popular since it was first released,
with Natalie Cole, Amy Grant, Glee star Lea Michele, and country artists Deana Carter and Phil Vassar
among those who have covered it."

More:
See Brandy Clark's Cover of the Carpenters' 'Merry Christmas, Darling'
Wonderful! I love the acoustic guitar accompaniment. Thanks for posting.

Just got Brenda Lee "A Brenda Lee Christmas" (from 1991) on a blue CD not on a silver CD. The book only has 4 pages which was probably was recopied from a printer!! The CD plays well which I got home delivery from Barnes & Noble. Just went to the Amazon website & that CD is rerecorded on CD -R. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Notwithstanding Carpenters' performance on the Tonight Show,
and, still wishing to hear Carpenters' studio rendition (if such still exists),
here is Susan Boyle, Thank You For The Music.....

Notwithstanding Carpenters' performance on the Tonight Show,
and, still wishing to hear Carpenters' studio rendition (if such still exists),
here is Susan Boyle, Thank You For The Music.....

Can’t stand the woman, her fifteen minutes of fame are long over. She’s horribly out of time on this, primarily because she’s not listening to her accompanist and is off key in the first verse. She duetted with Elaine Paige on another show, singing “I Know Him So Well”, and murdered that as well.

"The Recording Academy announced Tuesday (Jan. 9) that music legends Tina Turner, Queen and Neil Diamond are this year’s Lifetime Achievement Award honorees. Hal Blaine, Emmylou Harris, Louis Jordan and the Meters will also receive the award."
So, in honor of Tina Turner--and, all the other artists in this Clip (Karen near the end of the show)!
Here, again....Olivia Newton John - Hollywood Nights (1980).

I have recently rediscovered the "The Seekers" and Judith Durham. They were not that big in the US, compared to the UK and Australia. Although Judith and Karen have different voices (soprano vs. contralto) and sing different types of music, there is something about both voices which is special. I can't define it, but they sing so effortlessly and with a pure tone (I'm not a musician). Many videos on youtube by rich963 who has enhanced the old videos with stereo. Judith also recorded on A&M after the group broke up.

I have recently rediscovered the "The Seekers" and Judith Durham. They were not that big in the US, compared to the UK and Australia. Although Judith and Karen have different voices (soprano vs. contralto) and sing different types of music, there is something about both voices which is special. I can't define it, but they sing so effortlessly and with a pure tone (I'm not a musician). Many videos on youtube by rich963 who has enhanced the old videos with stereo. Judith also recorded on A&M after the group broke up.
I agree with this wholeheartedly!

Now there’s a singer with a voice like an angel. Judith is my dad’s favourite singer and he introduced me to her music a few years back. We were lucky enough to see them live in England in 2014 as part of their 50th Anniversary farewell tour and the band talked about how they were the only group to still be together in their original line up after 50 years. (Not even the Rolling Stones can claim that title). They walked on, Judith opened her mouth and sounded exactly like she did on the records from their heyday. Her voice, despite a brain haemorrhage a year earlier at the age of 70, had not diminished and was perfectly intact. An unforgettable experience.

1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The-Seekers-Scott-Davies-02.jpg

Last edited:
Now there’s a singer with a voice like an angel. Judith is my dad’s favourite singer and he introduced me to her music a few years back. We were lucky enough to see them live in England in 2014 as part of their 50th Anniversary farewell tour and the band talked about how they were the only group to still be together in their original line up after 50 years. (Not even the Rolling Stones can claim that title). They walked on, Judith opened her mouth and sounded exactly like she did on the records from their heyday. Her voice, despite a brain haemorrhage a year earlier at the age of 70, had not diminished and was perfectly intact. An unforgettable experience.

1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The-Seekers-Scott-Davies-02.jpg
That must have been marvelous!!

I can't figure out why the Seekers weren't bigger in the US. It's interesting that Judith Durham also had problems with self esteem and an eating disorder in the early years. She mentions it in the interview from the Australian "60 minutes".

just seen this thread.
now that I've heard Karen I just can't help but find fault with other singers.... She was perfect !

I also prefer female singers. Is it that guys like hearing women sing to them? I don't know.

other than Karen my favorite is Nancy Sinatra. I love her sassy, feistiness in her 'classic 60's pop' songs, the fresh country music tone in her country music and the intimacy in her sensual slower songs.

I also really love Agnetha and Frida from ABBA. And I'm still a teenager... Why don't other people my age listen to the same music ??? The World would be a better place ! :laugh:

Same here re: female singers. From my earliest days, Linda Rhonstadt, Karen Carpenter, ABBA, Heart (Ann and Nancy Wilson), up through Pat Benatar, Stevie Nicks, Madonna, etc...more recently, Pink, Amy Lee (Evanescense), and yeah, sue me but I like Katie Perry's voice :agree: many others I'm forgetting.

Singer Shelby Flint (of "Angel On My Shoulder" from 1961) does "Tomorrow Is Another Day" (from 1977 "The Rescuers" Disney movie soundtrack): (which can be found in "The Rescuers Down Under" from 1990 bonus track CD). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Shelby Flint "Someone's Waiting For You" (from 1977 "The Rescuers" Disney movie soundtrack) which almost reminds me of the late Karen Carpenter: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom