A&M New Vinyl

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Apparently A&M is releasing new vinyl from the back catalog. I haven't had a chance to get more info yet,
but they have released the Lobo album:

LOBO_1-Editx.jpg

LOBO_2.jpg

Wow Looks like They climbed back on the vinyl bandwagon however being skeptical of the new vinyl I bet the sound of this album will never equal the older originals I do have this on CD though which is enough for me

This album is a good listen, if you're ready for it. I remember seeing it on a "Worst Albums of All Time" list on the internet once. Some webguy just has no taste, that's all. Probably prompted by the inclusion of "Hey Jude," which you have to admit is probably the most off-the-wall version of that tune ever.

I do remember thinking it would sound more like a Sergio Mendes album, given he "presented" it, produced it and all of his group appears on it, but it's definitely got that Edu Lobo sound. My favorite song on it has always been "Ponteio."

This album is a good listen, if you're ready for it. I remember seeing it on a "Worst Albums of All Time" list on the internet once. Some webguy just has no taste, that's all. Probably prompted by the inclusion of "Hey Jude," which you have to admit is probably the most off-the-wall version of that tune ever.

I do remember thinking it would sound more like a Sergio Mendes album, given he "presented" it, produced it and all of his group appears on it, but it's definitely got that Edu Lobo sound. My favorite song on it has always been "Ponteio."
I love Ponteio I first heard Sergio's instrumental version on Favorite things ( still my favorite Sergio instrumental Album from his Atlantic period) I do like this Edu Lobo album i first knew of the album in the 80s but it was unavalible to me until Verve reissued it on Cd and once I got it I was amazed to Hear the composer's own version of music Sergio Previously Covered. It's a Great Album in its own right. "Hey Jude" not withstanding.

I remember seeing it on a "Worst Albums of All Time" list on the internet once. Some webguy just has no taste, that's all.

The "webguy" was probably looking for the album with "Me & You & A Dog Named Boo" by a different "Lobo"!

Never believed I'd live long enough to see vinyl LPs for sale at Walmart. They carry a mixture of rereleases and new titles. From A&M there's a reissue of Soundgarden's SUPERUNKNOWN. Not a huge rack but enough to attract interest.

JB

Given how Universal makes a colossal mess of any vinyl they have released in recent years, I'm not buying. Just look at the trainwreck they made of the recent Carpenters vinyl box as the icing on the cake. So bad, they recalled it and removed it from sale at Amazon. (Not to mention their bizarre policy of asking owners with defective items to destroy their own vinyl copies before issuing replacements--what is up with that?)

Some of their Back To Black series either suffered from very poor mastering (I have a Zenyatta Mondatta that sounds lifeless, and a Nirvana Nevermind that had everything compressed into an incoherent mess), or poor pressing quality (the aforementioned Carpenters vinyl box, the U2 Joshua Tree release from years ago...and plenty others I've seen reviewed with the same issues). Even in Europe--their Dire Straits releases had excellent mastering courtesy of Bernie Grundman's studio, with "wonderful" (note the sarcasm) scratches and scuffs fresh out of the sealed factory packaging thanks to being pressed at the GZ Vinyl pressing plant in Czechoslovakia. I have two sets of the On Every Street 2-LP set where I can't even Frankenstein together a playable set.

It's interesting how so many others out there now are capable releasing vinyl of very high quality.

I'd love to hear from Universal's reissue folks here. Are the original 2-track analog master tapes being used? Who mastered these? Where are they being pressed? Let's get some details before recommending anyone buy these. I'm not throwing good money after bad and trusting this latest batch blindly. If they want to provide me with review samples? There's a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum. It's been there for 21 years. Would be nice if they reached out for a change. Now's the time to prove to me your quality control has improved to where I'm not left disappointed once again.

Given how Universal makes a colossal mess of any vinyl they have released in recent years, I'm not buying. Just look at the trainwreck they made of the recent Carpenters vinyl box as the icing on the cake. So bad, they recalled it and removed it from sale at Amazon. (Not to mention their bizarre policy of asking owners with defective items to destroy their own vinyl copies before issuing replacements--what is up with that?)

Some of their Back To Black series either suffered from very poor mastering (I have a Zenyatta Mondatta that sounds lifeless, and a Nirvana Nevermind that had everything compressed into an incoherent mess), or poor pressing quality (the aforementioned Carpenters vinyl box, the U2 Joshua Tree release from years ago...and plenty others I've seen reviewed with the same issues). Even in Europe--their Dire Straits releases had excellent mastering courtesy of Bernie Grundman's studio, with "wonderful" (note the sarcasm) scratches and scuffs fresh out of the sealed factory packaging thanks to being pressed at the GZ Vinyl pressing plant in Czechoslovakia. I have two sets of the On Every Street 2-LP set where I can't even Frankenstein together a playable set.

It's interesting how so many others out there now are capable releasing vinyl of very high quality.

I'd love to hear from Universal's reissue folks here. Are the original 2-track analog master tapes being used? Who mastered these? Where are they being pressed? Let's get some details before recommending anyone buy these. I'm not throwing good money after bad and trusting this latest batch blindly. If they want to provide me with review samples? There's a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum. It's been there for 21 years. Would be nice if they reached out for a change. Now's the time to prove to me your quality control has improved to where I'm not left disappointed once again.
The latest (if you'll pardon the Expression) Universal Fiasco with the Carpenters box set was the Last straw for me i was considering for awhile getting a turntable for the vinyl i have left but not Any of the New pressings They are too expensive and im not certain of the quality and after reading about the various letdowns almost Everyone has experienced I'm not willing to throw my money down a bottomless pit so to speak back when I started collecting music at least I knew there was great care and quality control and I knew it just by listening to the finished product sadly We Don't have the same assurance or certainty. That we once had in many ways I understand what its like to have your hopes raised and then having the rug pulled out from under you. Been there way too many times

Via Barnes&Noble, I just got a new Spanish vinyl import of this album in mint condition--Universal Music copyright 2016. The audio quality is fine, and the music is outstanding. "Ponteio" is a timeless classic. Nice to see that the famed Brazilian composer and musician Hermeto Pascoal was involved with the album. The legendary jazz critic Leonard Feather had terrific liner notes. He pretty much said what Duke Ellington said--there are two kinds of music--good and bad--and this album gives one hope considering all the bad music out there.

Back
Top Bottom