UMG Repressings - Any News

I found this tonight on YouTube, it's related to the original vinyl batch (the clip is dated 27 January 2018) - sorry for the retrospective but I do think it's riveting to see the analysis on video (as opposed to in text and pictures) and it's wonderful to see the box set unveiled. He comes across as a serious collector with some great observations.

Last edited:
I’ve just got confirmation that my records have been shipped, looking at the invoice either someone has made a serious error or they have got matters mixed up somewhere as 24 LP Records should weigh a lot more than 1/2 Kg to my experience. Will keep others who may be interested informed when I get them !.
I have emailed Universal to find out why the package they have sent only weighs .45kgs.

Last edited:
I’ve just got confirmation that my records have been shipped, looking at the invoice either someone has made a serious error or they have got matters mixed up somewhere as 24 LP Records should weigh a lot more than 1/2 Kg to my experience. Will keep others who may be interested informed when I get them !.
I have emailed Universal to find out why the package they have sent only weighs .45kgs.
Yes Ive just had tracking notification. Mine says .5kg. Should get it tomorrow.

Interesting how the chap in the video only got 11LPs in his box set, that’s unusual. Especially when the one what was absent was their best album for me personally?.

Regarding the LP replacements will be intriguing to find out exactly what is coming my way!.

Last edited:
Maybe they have just sent the back ordered copy of The Singles 69-73 instead of all the other ones.

I would anticipate that your probably closer to the mark with that, I don’t know many couriers who would accept a 6kg package when only 500gms have been specified by the sender, I send a lot of items and couriers don’t accept them unless weight is accurately specified?.
If my memory is correct these are around the 6- 7kg mark weight wise?.

I would anticipate that your probably closer to the mark with that, I don’t know many couriers who would accept a 6kg package when only 500gms have been specified by the sender, I send a lot of items and couriers don’t accept them unless weight is accurately specified?.
If my memory is correct these are around the 6- 7kg mark weight wise?.
Yep, I think the weight of my original package was 4.6kg.

I’m looking forward to it whatever comes our way!, it would seem that it will be exactly the same for both of us, which is surprising to be honest as I’m expecting 24 albums not 12!. The Universal staff member did mention that replacements are on their way though!. Which is very confusing giving the weight?.

Last edited:
Interesting how the chap in the video only got 11LPs in his box set, that’s unusual. Especially when the one what was absent was their best album for me personally?.

If you're talking about A Song For You, he just missed it in the unpacking.... he put an addenda on the end of the video where he shows it.

I found this tonight on YouTube, it's related to the original vinyl batch (the clip is dated 27 January 2018) - sorry for the retrospective but I do think it's riveting to see the analysis on video (as opposed to in text and pictures) and it's wonderful to see the box set unveiled. He comes across as a serious collector with some great observations.

Very interesting to watch, thanks for posting. Voice Of The Heart was visually unacceptable with all those pit marks on the side of the vinyl, really highlights the quality control issues.

How cool it is to see each one of these albums unveiled ... despite their flaws. As you point out, the reviewer makes some great observations about flaws in the pressings (which must be driving Richard absolutely insane). It looks like he skipped A Song for You till he found it at the end. Everything else was in chronological order of release.

I do love the fact that each album, including the ones with different folds, open exactly as I remember them, and the inner sleeves have all that wonderful detail. Lovely bit of nostalgia there. How sad that the most important part (the records, themselves) suffered in the quality-control department.

Yeah it's not a skip, it's the intro that doesn't cue up correctly. My vinyl is also translucent. If you lay the tone arm down manually there is no issue but if I leave my turntable to automatically cue the arm it sits down 2 seconds late and your right into the song.

Mine used to skip in the intro during the bass guitar part when the strings first enter. Listened tonight. It didn’t skip but there were two skips after Karen enters.

My replacement set has just arrived and even though it says 0.5kg on the box, it contains all albums......plus the original white box. All I've got to do now is check to see if the codes on the run outs are different and then play them. Will get back shortly.

My replacement set has just arrived and even though it says 0.5kg on the box, it contains all albums......plus the original white box. All I've got to do now is check to see if the codes on the run outs are different and then play them. Will get back shortly.

If you can do that would be great, mine have been delivered to my parents and I won’t be getting access till the weekend!. Are you saying that they have sent the box shrink wrapped as well?.
Looking forward to your thoughts regarding matrix numbers etc and conditions. I find it amazing that they have sent the box as well?, I thought they said they were sending the albums only?. If you by any chance can give any indication as to were they were pressed as I was told uk?.

Last edited:
Here’s hoping that you have indeed received a new pressing of the set and not left overs!. Will be hard to know for sure if the matrix numbers exactly the same !.

If you can do that would be great, mine have been delivered to my parents and I won’t be getting access till the weekend!. Are you saying that they have sent the box shrink wrapped as well?.
Looking forward to your thoughts regarding matrix numbers etc and conditions. I find it amazing that they have sent the box as well?, I thought they said they were sending the albums only?. If you by any chance can give any indication as to were they were pressed as I was told uk?.
Yep - all nicely shrinkwrapped.

So I decided to take another chance since it’s been 3 months and Amazon seems to be the main supplier in hopes that I might get a newer pressing. I decided to buy Lovelines as an individual purchase. Since this was the hardest and priciest of the original LP’s....I wanted to buy his newer 2017 version for my collection.

Once I have it and reviewed it, I’ll post some thoughts in the Audiophile thread.

So I decided to take another chance since it’s been 3 months and Amazon seems to be the main supplier in hopes that I might get a newer pressing. I decided to buy Lovelines as an individual purchase. Since this was the hardest and priciest of the original LP’s....I wanted to buy his newer 2017 version for my collection.

Once I have it and reviewed it, I’ll post some thoughts in the Audiophile thread.

visually, the individual albums are pristine, HOWEVER, they sound just as bad :)
I`ve returned every single one of mine, which included `loveliness`, as they looked great, but when you play them, they sound like their covered in scratches. waste of money, waste of time, stick to originals!!

Emailed to check on my Singles replacement.
They are waiting for them to get to their warehouse. She said hoping to receive this week.

Jonathan

I have checked the first two albums and Voice of the Heart and I can find no evidence or markings that these are repressings, but maybe they do not do that to distinguish between the pressings.

I chose those three albums as they were probably the worst from the original box, so here are my findings on these three which I have recorded so that I can transfer them to my server. I also listened to them on headphones.

Ticket To Ride - much quieter than the previous copy (small clicks more evident on headphones than speakers) and no problem with spindle size.

Close To You - probably a little better, but still plagued with little clicks and pops which are evident on speakers. It also has a little chunk cut out of the edge in one place. Luckily, I have a manual record deck, but if I had an automatic and the Stylus came down too near the edge, it might just catch it and ruin the Stylus before falling off the edge. Also the label on both sides by the spindle hole is torn. So quality control on this isn’t good. My German copy of We’ve Only Just Begun LP is much better and that’s 45 years old.

Voice of the Heart - like Ticket To Ride, this is much better than the previous one.

So based on this, I have absolutely no idea if these are completely new pressings or UMG are simply chancing their luck in the hope that as some have reported, they have copies which appear to be fault free and they are sending those out. I’ll check out another three tomorrow, but at the moment, I’m just glad that I have Close To You and Voice on CD. Haven’t got Ticket on CD as I cannot find it for a reasonable price and for me, it is not the greatest album that warrants typical asking prices.

Back
Top Bottom