Aurora and Eventide

cam89

I was listening to this today and really heard her voice. It was a thing of such beauty. How she phrased the line so delicately, simply and yet knocked it out of the park. I always wish that Richard would do this song, maybe add a bridge or another verse and with him singing or maybe there are outtakes or other phrases they did not use in the final version, or he could add some beautiful instrumental stuff to tie Aurora and Eventide together.

The Singles 1969-1973 opening part was gorgeous and haunting at the same time. He really possessed a gift of arranging. No wonder Karen was his biggest fan, and he to her....what talent they had....

A KIND OF HUSH has always been one of my favourite albums of theirs....I first heard it on cassette from the Winnipeg Public Library just off Henderson Highway where we lived. And I loved it! I liked the sadness of her songs and her voice. I could relate to that and what she was feeling came through and touched my heart....a connection. I was a former foster child (and of the infamous 60's Scoop of Indigenous children in Canada, one of 20,000-30,000 adopted into primarily Euro-Canadian homes and also US, and Overseas) and so I had a difficult upbringing and her music (along with Julie Andrews) brought me joy and hope. As for Julie, I always thought Karen reminded me of Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins profile (in Karen's Made In America album cover)....

My thoughts,
Cam

I was listening to this today and really heard her voice. It was a thing of such beauty. How she phrased the line so delicately, simply and yet knocked it out of the park. I always wish that Richard would do this song, maybe add a bridge or another verse and with him singing or maybe there are outtakes or other phrases they did not use in the final version, or he could add some beautiful instrumental stuff to tie Aurora and Eventide together.

The Singles 1969-1973 opening part was gorgeous and haunting at the same time. He really possessed a gift of arranging. No wonder Karen was his biggest fan, and he to her....what talent they had....

A KIND OF HUSH has always been one of my favourite albums of theirs....I first heard it on cassette from the Winnipeg Public Library just off Henderson Highway where we lived. And I loved it! I liked the sadness of her songs and her voice. I could relate to that and what she was feeling came through and touched my heart....a connection. I was a former foster child (and of the infamous 60's Scoop of Indigenous children in Canada, one of 20,000-30,000 adopted into primarily Euro-Canadian homes and also US, and Overseas) and so I had a difficult upbringing and her music (along with Julie Andrews) brought me joy and hope. As for Julie, I always thought Karen reminded me of Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins profile (in Karen's Made In America album cover)....

My thoughts,
Cam
I can relate to the communication Karen gives in her singing which is why I usually play something of her in my playlist daily. If I ever don’t get a chance to listen to music on some of the buzzier days, I’ll find myself listening several hours just for Karen’s voice on those less busy days and according to my playlist results I usually play I’m Caught Between Goodbye and I Love You, Boat To Sail, Bless the Beats and the Children, and Guess I’ve Just Lost My Head, as well as, the Rainy Days/Superstar medley from As Time Goes By in most of those listening sessions.

I love SOLITAIRE, AURORA/EVENTIDE, ONE MORE TIME, BOAT TO SAIL, SAILING ON THE TIDE, ROAD ODE, I CAN'T MAKE MUSIC, A PLACE TO HIDEAWAY, ONE LOVE, SANDY, I HAVE YOU, ANOTHER SONG, CRESCENT NOON, EVE, SOMEDAY, TWO SIDES, TWO LIVES, LOOK TO YOUR DREAMS....oh and BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE are prob my fave songs.....

As a 15 year old (and after waiting so long for Horizon), I dropped the needle on "Aurora". I was so stunned by her intimately-miked vocal, I actually drooled on the brand new record!! It upset me because I took such care of my albums (and still do); especially the "quiet playing" Carpenters albums!

Yes, I did that once a long time ago, as did another member. There are multiple points where one can start "Eventide" to make an interesting segue.

I merged the two together once and it worked beautifully, although it becomes a song with two verses and no chorus :laugh:
Ha yes but it works soooo well....the copy I have the segue blends amazingly well together like the two were meant to be as one. I wonder how these were recorded at the same time? One was recorded before the other? Was it last to be recorded or one of the first songs to set the album tone? That's why I wish Richard would write a book about the albums, song by song. There are times when I wish we had tidbits of info like what were some of the first songs or last songs recorded off a particular album.

I wonder how these were recorded at the same time? One was recorded before the other? Was it last to be recorded or one of the first songs to set the album tone? That's why I wish Richard would write a book about the albums, song by song. There are times when I wish we had tidbits of info like what were some of the first songs or last songs recorded off a particular album.

I agree. A book with this sort of information would be amazing.

Aurora and Eventide were the last tracks recorded for the album. She and Richard went out for their mum and dad's 40th wedding anniversary on April 9th 1975 and then went to the recording studio at midnight to cut these.

I got that info from the horizon compendium press release.

It’s also mentioned in either the Coleman or Schmidt book (can’t remember which).

It's in the Ray Coleman book. It's mentioned in the context of how hard they were working in the run-up to Karen's health crisis and the Neil Sedaka tour sagar in 1975 .

I would be in heaven. Richard's got a memory like an elephant and I would've thought he'd love to work on such a project but I think he expressed disinterest on the official website (remember that??) He's also got a nice writing style.

I know only diehards like us would purchase it but with e-books and self publishing it couldnt cost that much to create, surely.

I like the TV performances where there is just Richard on the piano and Karen singing - no backing band - so I like 'Aurora' and 'Eventide'. Carpenters didn't need much more than Karen's voice and Richard's piano.

These songs are also a change. A bit sombre, dark and melancholy, in almost an arty way. (Not that their other music wasn't dark and melancholy).

Back
Top Bottom