Da Doo Ron Ron Extended on 8-Track

Mark-T

Does anyone remember this? I distinctly remember the song changing from one track to the next and there be an extended guitar outtro (or whatever its called). Anyone heard it? Anyone still have a working 8-Track player? I'd love to hear it again!

I do remember it! I thought it was a clever and thoughtful thing to do considering how on 8-track tapes they would split songs starting at the end of one program and concluding on the next. This way they filled up the extra time on that program and gave the song a fade out like a regular song. I am afraid my 8-track tape of "Now & Then" has long bitten the dust...

I remember hearing this on 8-track but I don't remember the song being "extended," they just removed the DJ from the song and let it fade before the program change, then after the change, the ending of the song WITH the DJ faded in. I could have a faulty memory on this though, but that's just how I remember it. Kind of a nice touch that normally wouldn't have been done for the lowly 8-track format.

My thought process...

Da doo ron ron is the only oldies song not released without the DJ.

Da doo ron ron had a special case on 8-track, maybe without a DJ.

You don't suppose that the master was sent over to the 8-track masterers and somehow lost or never returned, do you? Hmmm?

Last edited:
Does anyone remember this? I distinctly remember the song changing from one track to the next and there be an extended guitar outtro (or whatever its called). Anyone heard it? Anyone still have a working 8-Track player? I'd love to hear it again!

after looking at this thread, I went into my folders, because I thought I`d copied my 8-tracks to the computer. I had, but never got round to `now & then` and I don`t have the player anymore, otherwise I would have sorted it for you :)

My pleasure! :wink:

Seriously- I've discovered I never know who has what around these parts.

The more I think about this - having never heard the 8-track - I wonder if some clever editing back then extended the track for the 8-track version. I was just playing around with the song and it's possible to edit in some extra minutes by copying and pasting from the long, repetitive ending before the DJ comes back in.

I didn't save it - just called it up in Audacity and noodled around with copy and paste to see how it could have been done.

The more I think about this - having never heard the 8-track - I wonder if some clever editing back then extended the track for the 8-track version. I was just playing around with the song and it's possible to edit in some extra minutes by copying and pasting from the long, repetitive ending before the DJ comes back in.

My recollection of the 8-track is that the DDRR guitar solo went on longer (meaning not faded, and not edited to be longer), maybe 20 seconds more than on the regular medley and it faded with no DJ chatter over it or backing vocals over the extended part. The next program on the 8-track fades in right at the DJ chatter that leads into "Deadman's Curve" as on the regular medley. I felt it was done to deliberately fill up blank time on the program.

It would be ‘neat’ to have a collection of all the 8Track fill-in’s for the sake of down memory lane!

As someone born in 2000, before I got into the Carpenters I had never heard of an 8 track before let alone ever seen one ! A friend sent me 6 a couple of years ago, I haven't been able to play any but I have noticed some interesting things from the track lists:

Now & Then - what is the short version of YOM?

P1: Sing, This Masquerade, Yesterday Once More (Short Version)

P2: Heather, Jambalaya, I Can't Make Music

P3: Yesterday Once More, Fun Fun Fun, The End Of The World, Da Doo Ron Ron

P4: Deadman's Curve, Johnny Angel, The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, Our Day Will Come, One Fine Day, Yesterday Once More (Reprise)

Horizon

Track list is ordered differently:

P1: Aurora, Desperado, Love Me For What I Am

P2: I Can Dream Can't I, Happy

P3: Solitaire, (I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You

P4: Only Yesterday, Please Mr. Postman

Passage - how does Man Smart Woman Smarter work? Is it just cut in half?

P1: B'wanna She No Home, I Just Fall In Love Again

P2: All You Get From Love Is A Love Song, Two Sides, Man Smart Woman Smarter (Part 1)

P3: Man Smart Woman Smarter (Part 2), Don't Cry For Me Argentina

P4: Sweet Sweet Smile, Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

Carpenters

P1: Rainy Days And Mondays, Saturday, Sometimes

P2: Bacharach/David Medley, Let Me Be The One

P3: A Place To HideAway, Superstar

P4: Druscilla Penny, One Love, For All We Know

"Da Doo Ron Ron" on the 8-track is approximately ten seconds longer than the version on LP/CD, and it does not have the DJ voiceover. It's just a longer fade-out of the song, adding a few extra seconds to the guitar solo. While you do get to hear some of the song that you can't hear elsewhere, it's very insignificant.

As someone born in 2000, before I got into the Carpenters I had never heard of an 8 track before let alone ever seen one ! A friend sent me 6 a couple of years ago, I haven't been able to play any but I have noticed some interesting things from the track lists:

To answer your questions, the "short version" of "Yesterday Once More" is no doubt just an edited version of the original. Either they cut out the second verse, or did some other thing to make a short version fit into the time they had available.

This was not too common on 8-tracks -- a much more common practice was to cut a song in half, as what happened with "Man Smart" -- you would hear the first half, fade out, program change, then fade back in for the second half. They had to do this because of slight variations in the length of the tape in the shell -- the length wasn't consistent enough that they could record right up to the channel change. Usually 3 or 4 seconds of silence would be the norm on each side of the program change, but sometimes would be a bit longer.

Another common practice was to even-out the number of songs on the album by adding a second iteration of one or two songs. For example if they had 10 songs, they might put in a second appearance of two of them...that way they could have three songs per program.

Obviously, the biggest trade-off with 8-tracks was, you pretty much had to kiss the running-order of the album goodbye. But most audiophiles saw the 8-track as sort of a poor-man's audio format, not suitable for "serious" listening, so screwing with the lineup wasn't considered blasphemy. It was just a necessary evil traded for the convenience of being able to listen in the car.

Da Doo Run Run is the only N&T oldie that is not on the Readers Digest. I'd love to add it to my playlist without the DJ.

1. Only Yesterday (middle length edit)
2. One More Time
3. Those Good Old Dreams
4. Don’t Cry For Me Argentina
5. Look To Your Dreams
6. Yesterday Once More (1985 remix)
7. Fun, Fun, Fun (1997 remix, no DJ))
8. The End Of The World (1997 remix, no DJ)
9. There’s A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World) (1985 remix)
10. Help!
11. Jambalaya (On The Bayou) (1991 remix)
12. Deadman’s Curve (1997 remix, no DJ)
13. Johnny Angel (1997 remix, no DJ)
14. The Night Has A Thousand Eyes (1997 remix, no DJ)
15. Beechwood 4-5789
16. Bacharach/David Medley (Live)
17. Please Mr. Postman (1991 remix)
18. Reason To Believe (1987 remix)
19. Our Day Will Come (1997 remix, no DJ)
20. One Fine Day (1997 remix, no DJ)
21. Yesterday Once More (reprise)(1990 remix)

Maybe Da Doo Ron Ron - When He Walked Me Home can be a wish list for the 50th Anniversary Set.

I have these 8-tracks....playing condition anyone's guess....:
Voice Of The Heart (both Two Lives and Prime Time Love are "split up")
Horizon
Now & Then
A Song For You
Close To You
(sealed)

I have never been able to play these 8-tracks !

I hope someone can shed some light on this since I've never owned any 8-track tapes.
This topic has been on my mind lately about the possibility of them adding additional music to these 8-track tapes.
I found these images on ebay so these pics likely won't last for ever. Sorry if there big, there from ebay.
Check out the 8-track tape of A Kind of Hush that there are 2 reprises listed on Program 3 and 4.

1. There's a Kind of Hush (reprise)
2. Breaking Up is Hard to Do (reprise)

I'm sure these are only seconds long but it has surely sparked my curiosity.
Look at Voice of The Heart how they spliced up a couple songs, how does that work, literally stop and then start again?
A Song For You adds the Intermission twice.
MIA adds a 2nd reprise too.
Now & Then has a short version listed of YOM.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I remember the Hush 8-track because I had just gotten a player in my car. (Dating myself here!)
Hush and BUIHTD reprises were just repeats of the full song.

8Track A Song For You was my first listen to the album. Funny, but I prefer that order! I would like to hear all these extra clips!!

Back
Top Bottom