Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pressure Down

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Walkin' On the Water

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Chance in a Million

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
I believe this is the direction Richard would have taken on a production level had Karen been around for the 80's. I'm almost sure she would have loved the new synth sounds like that beautiful DX-7 type piano sound and surely would have dug the songs he replaced the older pianos with
The commercial production style that Richard used on "Time" and "Scott Grimes" was specifically intended for those albums-it wasn't something that he would've done with Karen.

Scott's album and Richard's "Time" are very typical late 80's commercial pop-with plenty of synthesizers,drum machines and pre-programmed keyboard tracks. They're the type of albums that many pop artists were doing at that time-nothing distinctive or artistically creative.

Does Scott do a good job with "Chance in a Million"? I heard its a beautifully orchestrated song and I was curious if he sounded good on it because it's supposedly different than the other tracks.

I know it's more than a little bubble-gummy - but I did the Amazon thing and bought the CD - and decided I liked Walkin' On The Water a heck of a lot. Something about the vocals and the melody and the arrangement that sounded fresh and crisp and just - kind of simple and clean. I liked it. Worth the album purchase for me...

Show Me The Way to your Heart is kind of nice as well... Also - when I squint my yes and look to my left, the first line of the second verse conjures up an audible image of Karen to me... "Maybe we known each other too long"...

Glad I have the cd. Helps to imagine what a Carpenter project may have sounded like - yet I do know RC was playing to the teen audience with some of the chosen material...

My one critique might be... a little 'too much' saxophone....

I just got in the mail today the second single from this album: "You've Got A Friend". It's a 12-inch 33 with 5 different remixes: 12-inch Club Version, Dub Version & Bonus Beat on Side-A, while Side-B has House Mix and Manny's Deep Garage Mix.

TMZ's Harvey Levin (also on "The Peoples Court") & Charles L. (cannot spell his last name) talked about a Scott Grimes song on TMZLive when Russell Crowe was beating on Azealia Banks. Rapper RZA told TMZ that in the nightclub the song was by Scott Grimes but RZA forgot the song. Later on TMZLive, both Harvey & Charles mentioned the song called "From Here Clear To The Ocean" (but it is not on Scott Grimes' CD). It was on Thursday's show on the TMZ website!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Cashbox April 22, 1989

Cashbox%20Grimes%20Carpenter%20April%2022%201989.png~original

I was curious.
I have this cd--since day one--
listened once....tried, again....this morning....
Apparently, "Show Me The Way To Your Heart" is moderately popular--somewhere---
well, let me 'cut to the chase,'
this is not a voice that I can listen to !
Not again.

If I have a favorite on this album, it's probably "I Don't Even Mind", but I really don't give this album much playing time at all.

By the way, Scott Grimes is also credited with an appearance on the VERONIQUE album as one of the "cavemen" vocalists at the end of "I Want To Get Close To You." Must've been hanging around the studio that day.

However this is Richard Carpenter's production and deserved a promotion. I have a press release to Tower Records. Aside from that little or no hoopla at presentation.
Beginning with the inception of the Downey Fan Club I have believed any and all support would garner and guarantee future releases.
Keeping interest in all things CarpenterS will encourage discovery and keep the duo relevant, current at the cutting edge of exploratory sound improvement. If nothing else I appreciate all inclusions.
This translates to buy the damn thing and don't yap negatively all the time. Pump it up once in awhile if you want to give Richard Carpenter and Universal inspiration. Give the man his due creatively.
If there's any chance of Richard Carpenter making public appearances well?
I'm also doing exceptionally well at separating the man's personal life from the professional. No doubt he digs that!

Last edited:
^^Admirable, indeed !
I will only add, I buy 'almost everything' Richard Carpenter has had a hand with,
I buy both sight- unseen and ear-unheard !
However, that purchase does give me the right to be both positive and negative (imho).

Certainly you have a right. The point is that there have been plenty of CarpenterS critics. So many that they sink before they swim. All I'm sayin. Somebody somewhere...a lot of Somebodies better burn a buzz if there's anything special ever.

^^The sad part about the burn-a-buzz is that Universal Music already did their part to
dampen many a spirit....from the recently botched LP set to the bad press regards Carpenters' royalties.
Of course, being the fan I am, and have always been, I would still love to meet Richard and say--
as I always have--Thank You For The Music !
Be that as it may, and backtracking to the Scott Grimes Album,
I appreciate what Richard Carpenter did in terms of production and arrangement,
but, and this is only my musical opinion,
Scott Grimes' vocals are far too high for me to ever get behind !
The lead vocals here are my major issue, just a personal musical preference.

^
Be that as it may, and backtracking to the Scott Grimes Album,
I appreciate what Richard Carpenter did in terms of production and arrangement,
but, and this is only my musical opinion,
Scott Grimes' vocals are far too high for me to ever get behind !
The lead vocals here are my major issue, just a personal musical preference.
I always wondered what the album would have sounded like, if they had waited until after Scott Grimes had gone through puberty! :laugh: Besides Scott's high-pitched vocals, the other thing that bothers me about the album (and the same goes for the Veronique album) is the drum machine. It may have been the "in" thing in 1989, but it makes both those albums sound so dated now.

I've spent the last hour on YouTube, listening to Scott Grimes later work. Yes, believe it or not, he's still recording music (as well as writing songs) in addition to his acting career. He still has a tenor voice, but it's deeper than when was he was a teenager. I think that he's grown into a pretty good vocalist (and a damn good pianist). I especially like the collaborations he's done with Russell Crowe, and Canadian musician Alan Doyle (lead singer of Great Big Sea).

I had no idea he was still recording music or writing songs. I agree with Mark, I really like Hide. Wow, he has a really good voice now. Thanks Murray...I'm going to have to go and purchase that song, Hide and check out the album too, hopefully it's on iTunes or Amazon. I bet he has taken all that he learned from Richard in the recording studio at such a young age and has benefited him in his songwriting and recording.

" It’s Grimes’ first album since attempting the obligatory child-actor music crossover in 1989 — with a self-titled bubblegum pop record. (”It’s jumped up on eBay,” Grimes says of the Richard Carpenter-produced effort. ”It was, like, 3 cents before, and now I think it’s up to 12."
Source:
''ER'' star Scott Grimes is a crossover star

" a 16-year-old newcomer named Scott Grimes, who remembers the Carpenter hit
We’ve Only Just Begun as “the very first song I sang publicly, at a wedding, when I was 7.”

Source:
Four Years After His Sister Karen's Death, Singer Richard Carpenter Makes His Debut as a Solo Act

Arrangements:

You're The Voice...arranged by Laythan Armor and Richard Carpenter
You've Got A Friend...arr by LA, RC and Herb Alpert

Show Me The Way To Your Heart
...arr by Richard Carpenter

Call On Me...arr by LA and RC
What Am I going To Say...arr by LA and RC

I Don't Even Mind
...arranged by Richard Carpenter

You Belong To Me...arr by LA and RC
Only Love...arr by LA and RC
Pressure Down...arr by LA and RC