Herb album cover on Vinylalbumcovers

Are you going to do the gatefold Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 FOOL ON THE HILL?

MI0001776773.jpg

MI0002193879.jpg

Perhaps your re-jiggered "H" could use a little help. Your seems to be missing the lighter shade connector at the top. This is the way my copy looks.

scan0001.jpg

Yep. All scans from my large-format Epson.
I never did any good with photographing covers--uneven brightness, poor color balance and keystoning are the major issues there, and required way too much post-processing in Photoshop. That is why having a scanner was such a revelation--I had an HP Scanjet that scanned up to 14" long, so I could do a cover in two pieces vs. four, retouch only a couple of minor things, and it's done. Haven't used it in years, though, since I never could find another SCSI card that would work with a modern OS. We do have another scanner here, but I use it only for documents (scanning and/or copying).

I've had OK luck in photographing covers and making them look acceptable enough to be a CD cover. Here's one I did of Rupert Holmes' ADVENTURE. First, the original photo on a tablecloth with some keystoning, then the final result after some Photoshop work:

IMG_2847.JPG AdventureFront.JPG

I don't mind the promo stamp in the upper right, so I left it there. It's good enough for a CD cover.

I never did any good with photographing covers--uneven brightness, poor color balance and keystoning are the major issues there, and required way too much post-processing in Photoshop. That is why having a scanner was such a revelation--I had an HP Scanjet that scanned up to 14" long, so I could do a cover in two pieces vs. four, retouch only a couple of minor things, and it's done. Haven't used it in years, though, since I never could find another SCSI card that would work with a modern OS. We do have another scanner here, but I use it only for documents (scanning and/or copying).

I started trying (emphasis on trying) to do them that way but I wasn't satisfied. If I was going to put in the work, I wanted them to be dead ringers. I used to use a ScanJet 8300 which was pretty good but I had to do the albums in two parts and stitch them together. It was work I wasn't sure I needed to do. The bed was also slightly recessed so I couldn't use all of the scanned image. I'd have to do away with about an inch or so of it and than catch that on the repeat scan. Then, I found this:

epsonscanner.jpg

This is an extra large scan bed that allows me scan 18 x 12. I can just put the album down, scan it, and that's it. Then, straight into Photoshop to fix. I find as I'm going on that I'm doing more at the scan stage than I used to too. Most major color adjustments happen then instead of in Photoshop. I can take care of minute color changes there where Photoshop is a little more dramatic.

Ed

A shame that all the links to images in this relatively recent thread just give a page at vinylalbumcovers.com that displays "This Account has been suspended."

In school when you were suspended, you couldn't come back for at least a day... :)

Back
Top Bottom