Other Female Singers

I watch this thread a lot but I don't often post. Here's one I thought some of you might like to hear.

This song was a minor hit in the UK and I remember her performing this on Top Of The Pops and singing live when very few people did on that show. This song stuck with me for years and to this day, as young as I was, I still remember being so taken by her vocal technique, phrasing and timbre and couldn't understand why it wasn't a number one smash hit.

Fast forward all these years later and out of curiosity, I looked her up on youtube (and Instagram) and was blown away to discover not only that she's still going strong, but that she can still sing this song in the same key all these years later - with just piano accompaniment.

Top Of The Pops Live Vocal 1992

Memphis Music Festival 2015

Come In Out of the Rain - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I watch this thread a lot but I don't often post. Here's one I thought some of you might like to hear.

This song was a minor hit in the UK and I remember her performing this on Top Of The Pops and singing live when very few people did on that show. This song stuck with me for years and to this day, as young as I was, I still remember being so taken by her vocal technique, phrasing and timbre and couldn't understand why it wasn't a number one smash hit.

Fast forward all these years later and out of curiosity, I looked her up on youtube (and Instagram) and was blown away to discover not only that she's still going strong, but that she can still sing this song in the same key all these years later - with just piano accompaniment.

Top Of The Pops Live Vocal 1992

Memphis Music Festival 2015

Come In Out of the Rain - Wikipedia

Now this is a blast from the past. I remember it well.

I've got a feeling that it's already been discussed here but I always thought that Renee Armand showed a slight resemblance to Karen in her vocal style on 1972's 'Raining in L.A.'

Renee Armand was a label mate of the Carpenters.

I have her 'Rain Book' CD. The other tracks on the album are mainly quite different from 'Raining In LA'.

Renee Armand also recorded an appealing version of 'The Morning After', from 'The Poseidon Adventure'.

I'm sure that this has all been mentioned here before but, just in case, here's 'Raining In L.A.'

listening to BBC radio 2 last weekend, they played a song that I really enjoyed listening to, so looked up the singer on YouTube, who I hadn't heard before and now, I can`t listen to her enough :)
HAILEY TUCK from Texas, but now lives in Paris.
Aged just 23, she is inspired by the 1920`s, which is evident in her videos, but also a silent film actress from the era, LOUISE BROOKS.
I`ve got nearly all her videos saved and just wondered what you guys thought. these are 3 of my favorites;

I've got a feeling that it's already been discussed here but I always thought that Renee Armand showed a slight resemblance to Karen in her vocal style on 1972's 'Raining in L.A.'

Renee Armand was a label mate of the Carpenters.

I have her 'Rain Book' CD. The other tracks on the album are mainly quite different from 'Raining In LA'.

Renee Armand also recorded an appealing version of 'The Morning After', from 'The Poseidon Adventure'.

I'm sure that this has all been mentioned here before but, just in case, here's 'Raining In L.A.'

A favorite around here - and Renee Armand herself once checked into these parts. She's member @gracefarm in this old thread:

The Rain Book

Brand new singer, 27 year old Alice Merton ("No Roots") might win the Grammy for Best New Artist come February 2019. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I would like to see if Real Gone Music can reissue Renee Armand "The Rain Book" on CD!!! C'mon people, send a request in!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Renee Armand, in addition to the album THE RAIN BOOK, also did a few other singles and one-off songs. She sings "Lost" on the BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN soundtrack, so she has at least that connection to Carpenters.

In 1973, she had written a song called "I Can't See You Anymore" which was featured in a television movie starring Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner called THE AFFAIR. In the film, Natalie actually sings this song in her own voice. Meanwhile, at A&M, Renee Armand recorded it for a single, and it was produced by the fellow who had the video about how he would have produced Karen Carpenter's solo album, John Florez.

From the 45 in my collection, here is that record. It's one of those start-quiet and gets-louder tracks, so here it is without any compression whatsoever - full dynamic range. Only a few clicks were removed.

Now I'd like you to compare that sound with the same record also put up on YouTube by none other than the producer John Florez.

On the 'Lowest Note Hit by Karen' thread, Karen was shown on a 'Top 15 Mezzo-Sopranos' list, along with Donna Summer. Here's a song that demonstrates Donna Summer's breathier side, (semi-operatic is the wrong description, but her vocals seem to show classical potential). I think her voice on recordings like this, where she doesn't let loose with her booming 'disco' voice, are very pleasant to the ear. Listen to the double-tracked vocal in the middle of the song, (at 3:14), and pay attention to the higher layer. She could sing fairly high - although she sings higher on a couple of other recordings. I like this side to Donna Summer's voice. By the way, whoever put the lyrics on this video made a couple of mistakes. For instance, "...ebb turns to flow", not "...ebb tends to flow". :)

First time I'd seen this on YT. Bonnie Bramlett performing Groupie (Superstar) with the great Leon Russell in the audience.

At first I thought that was Kevin Arnold’s mother from The Wonder Years :laugh:. Leon Russell looked thoroughly unmoved by the performance :sigh:

If I may recommend a male singer, I think Spencer Day is wonderful. He has great timing with a lyric and very good pitch.

One singer who I've started to listen to recently is Lana Del Rey. Her voice is reminiscent of Karen's (although not as good, of course) her voice is very emotional and her song "Groupie Love" has been compared to "Superstar"
Other songs you should check out by her are "Video Games", "Young And Beautiful", "Born To Die" and "You Must Love Me" from Evita.

Does anyone else hear a little bit of Karen in her???

not a female, but anyone seen and heard this guy yet?
he subscribed to my YouTube channel yesterday, so I played his videos and was actually impressed, sometimes it`s nice to hear a male sing these songs!

Keep country music vocalist Donna Fargo in your prayers, she is recovering from a stroke.
Here, another great vocalist Patsy Cline (live version of the great Patti Page song Tennessee Waltz)
I really wish Karen and Richard had recorded more Country Music:

Keep country music vocalist Donna Fargo in your prayers, she is recovering from a stroke.
Here, another great vocalist Patsy Cline (live version of the great Patti Page song Tennessee Waltz)
I really wish Karen and Richard had recorded more Country Music:

Oh i really wish they did too... I heard someone said that Richard told them that he and Karen wanted to go to Nashville to record a country album. If only ...

Being a young fan (17) loving the Carpenters has made me go on to so many other great artists from the 60's & 70's and Donna Fargo I've never heard sing but I have heard Nancy Sinatra's cover of her song "The Happiest Girl In The Whole U.S.A". It's a nice, sweet song. Hope for a full recovery for her.

This English-born Spanish singer called Jeanette, was pretty popular in the late 60's to the late 80's, and she is still singing today. Her voice sounds small, delicate, beautiful and quite hypnotizing. I pretty much started to and listened to her entire discography this year. Here are two of her most well-known songs:

Back
Top Bottom