Will Richard Release a 50th Anniversary Collection

Im going to guess that it was also sourced from videotape masters so you would be watching upscaled 480i Video.

the listing I saw was on Ebay, which has ended now. I did message the buyer to ask where it came from, quality etc, but they never answered, so I think that say`s it all really and confirmed my suspicions :)
even the artwork on the cover, especially the back, looks dodgy and not very professional.
I`m amazed they can get away with selling this stuff to be honest.

New to this...but as a fan since 1969, and a fairhful follower of all things Carpenters, I would think that the 50th will be part of a PBS special.

wasn't sure where to put this.
I think there was a discussion about what people would like to see come out for the 50th and the one thing I`ve often thought I`d like to see, is some of the concerts restored or a music video collection on bluray etc.
anyway, I came across this on Ebay while looking at Carpenters stuff. I don`t think I`m allowed to put links here, so if you just copy and paste this into the search box on ebay;

Carpenters in Japan 1974 1976 1972 Blu-ray

anyone know anything about this or is this a boot-leg again?

This was released some time ago, and I detailed my purchase of this disc in this thread:
Japan 1976

the listing I saw was on Ebay, which has ended now. I did message the buyer to ask where it came from, quality etc, but they never answered, so I think that say`s it all really and confirmed my suspicions :)
even the artwork on the cover, especially the back, looks dodgy and not very professional.
I`m amazed they can get away with selling this stuff to be honest.
Unless the Japanese TV stations in the 70's were shooting the concerts on film, or were using a process similar to how the Classic Honeymooners were shot in the 50's where electronic versions were sent out at the same time as recording to film, the Japanese masters would only be on NTSC composite videotape.

Yes, it is all videotape, at best. The Budokan concert comes straight from the videotape master made for Japanese TV.
The latter two concerts are VHS/Betamax video tape recordings, almost certainly from TV broadcasts - which themselves would've been videotaped before broadcasting. So essentially, an (optimistic, mind you) easy way to put it would be: Videotape (on location @ concert) -> Japanese NTSC TV broadcast -> consumer VCR (VHS/Betamax) -> then transfer & upscale to Bluray. So from 480i videotape, then to NTSC 480i broadcast, then to a [circa] 240i/250i home VCR; upscaling and noise reduction for the Bluray can only do so much to improve this!

Last edited:
Yes, it is all videotape, at best. The Budokan concert comes straight from the videotape master made for Japanese TV.
The latter two concerts are VHS/Betamax video tape recordings, almost certainly from TV broadcasts - which themselves would've been videotaped before broadcasting. So essentially, an (optimistic, mind you) easy way to put it would be: Videotape (on location @ concert) -> Japanese NTSC TV broadcast -> consumer VCR (VHS/Betamax) -> then transfer & upscale to Bluray. So from 480i videotape, then to NTSC 480i broadcast, then to a [circa] 240i/250i home VCR; upscaling and noise reduction for the Bluray can only do so much to improve this!
In the previous thread on this topic, it was mentioned that the 1972 concert came from a S-VHS home recording of a 1990’s repeat broadcast. S-VHS was a prosumer format that saw use by consumers for home recordings, as well as professionals for use in wedding video and commercial production with limited use in broadcast.

But with Betamax, if the concert was recorded in the B1 mode, 70’s Betamax could record close to 70’s broadcast/U-Matic levels.

In the previous thread on this topic, it was mentioned that the 1972 concert came from a S-VHS home recording of a 1990’s repeat broadcast. S-VHS was a prosumer format that saw use by consumers for home recordings, as well as professionals for use in wedding video and commercial production with limited use in broadcast.

But with Betamax, if the concert was recorded in the B1 mode, 70’s Betamax could record close to 70’s broadcast/U-Matic levels.

Yes, when saying home VCR I included both the VHS system and the Betamax system as a whole when discussing the '72 and '76 concerts; for the '72 concert it was a (re)broadcast like I said previously and plenty Japanese VCR's by that point could use regular VHS or S-VHS interchangebly as they were both part of the VHS system [but they were branded as S-VHS] - as I saw the text S-VHS displayed at the recording's start I go with that. Even then, many modern (90s era onwards) regular VHS macines can replay S-VHS as they would standard tapes - if the tape was transfered to Bluray in this way this would mitigate any quality improvement (on top of that, the video outputs [whether composite, RF, S-Video, Component] could affect this).
Regarding the '76 concert, there is no clue as to which system system used, and seeing as the concert exceeds B1 mode's 60 minute time limit and that no recording delay/tape change is discernible, it is unlikely to be the case. Even then, Betamax like VHS had low colour resolution and noticeably fewer lines of video than broadcast tapes. I said circa 240i/250i to estimate quality as it's not exactly definable or comparable to NTSC/PAL etc. [A good idea would be to compare Carpenters' Gold DVD and the Yesterday Once More VHS; they are sourced from the same videotape masters so differences in quality are directly comparable.]
I suppose I should've been more precise!

Last edited:
Yes, when saying home VCR I included both the VHS system and the Betamax system as a whole when discussing the '72 and '76 concerts; for the '72 concert it was a (re)broadcast like I said previously and plenty Japanese VCR's by that point could use regular VHS or S-VHS interchangebly as they were both part of the VHS system [but they were branded as S-VHS] - as I saw the text S-VHS displayed at the recording's start I go with that. Even then, many modern (90s era onwards) regular VHS macines can replay S-VHS as they would standard tapes - if the tape was transfered to Bluray in this way this would mitigate any quality improvement (on top of that, the video outputs [whether composite, RF, S-Video, Component] could affect this).
Regarding the '76 concert, there is no clue as to which system system used, and seeing as the concert exceeds B1 mode's 60 minute time limit and that no recording delay/tape change is discernible, it is unlikely to be the case. Even then, Betamax like VHS had low colour resolution and noticeably fewer lines of video than broadcast tapes. I said circa 240i/250i to estimate quality as it's not exactly definable or comparable to NTSC/PAL etc. [A good idea would be to compare Carpenters' Gold DVD and the Yesterday Once More VHS; they are sourced from the same videotape masters so differences in quality are directly comparable.]
I suppose I should've been more precise!
Sorry but while VHS and S-VHS are both in the same family, S-VHS has significantly more resolution than VHS (7.0Mhz vs 4.4Mhz; although the color is still stuck at the 629khz that VHS had) so even video over composite will look better than VHS (although S-Video would be better). And Betamax’s color resolution is the same as U-Matic’s 688khz, while it’s resolution is closer to 4.8Mhz. Also with Betamax, 1976 was when the first stand-alone vcr was released and it was B1 only—-B2 & B3 would not be released till 1979 (of course PAL/SECAM machines only had the one speed). However on the other post it was noted the lower quality concert seemed to be edited from different tapes and the color even shifted occasionally, so the could’ve used a variety of Beta and VHS and the color shift could indicate the switch, as VHS’s color is more washed out.

And the analog Kell factor that most people try to assign to VHS and Beta is utter nonsense when you look at the history of it (the RCA technicians that invented it even said that there was nothing behind it as it was done purely for marketing and that it was highly subjective). So your 240-250i is nonsense. It’s only in the digital world where you have 250p or 480i.

With the release of "The Beach Boys and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"...
Makes me wonder if this might be something planned for the 50th?
Or if something like that's even possible. :hmmm:
What would you all think of "The Carpenters and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"?

With the release of "The Beach Boys and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"...
Makes me wonder if this might be something planned for the 50th?
Or if something like that's even possible. :hmmm:
What would you all think of "The Carpenters and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"?
I haven’t sampled the Beach Boy’s/Royal Philharmonic album but I’ve no doubt the Carpenters repertoire would work far better within that context (orchestral arrangements).

^ I agree. It's been done for Aretha Franklin, Elvis and Roy Orbison too.

Doing a duets album (like Anne Murray or Tony Bennett) doesn't seem fit for a Band.
That can be done very well! But, this idea seems right up the alley for The Carpenters.

The improvements to these songs are more subtle I find, so it doesn't really change it that much.
Could bring in new listeners by doing promos for it, but satisfy lifetime fans as well by celebrating their catalogue.

I could see this more than new material or unreleased songs; although, that would be great!

I have said that "The Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra" would be a great idea for a long time !

Something definitely is coming, I am certain. There's been pictures floating around of Richard in the studio, I've heard rumours from people that he's working on at least one, maybe more projects. And the last time I emailed it was his assistant who got back to me saying that he is busy working on a project.

Richard knows what he's doing, and he knows how to please the fans.

I'm guessing (and hoping) that there will no doubt be a 50th compilation album, especially in the UK seeing how "The Nations Favourite Carpenters Songs" tv show attracted 2.5 million viewers, and the album went to #2 on the official charts.
I also think he is working on a solo album, and maybe a new Carpenters track or two.

I have said that "The Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra" would be a great idea for a long time !

Something definitely is coming, I am certain. There's been pictures floating around of Richard in the studio, I've heard rumours from people that he's working on at least one, maybe more projects. And the last time I emailed it was his assistant who got back to me saying that he is busy working on a project.

Richard knows what he's doing, and he knows how to please the fans.

I'm guessing (and hoping) that there will no doubt be a 50th compilation album, especially in the UK seeing how "The Nations Favourite Carpenters Songs" tv show attracted 2.5 million viewers, and the album went to #2 on the official charts.
I also think he is working on a solo album, and maybe a new Carpenters track or two.

I really hope it's not just another compilation - the market (particularly in the UK) is saturated with these now!

I haven’t sampled the Beach Boy’s/Royal Philharmonic album but I’ve no doubt the Carpenters repertoire would work far better within that context (orchestral arrangements).

The Carpenters catalogue of hits is already lushly orchestrated thanks to Richard. I’m not sure what adding the Royal Philharmonic would do other than make the songs sound a bit bigger. And I’m 100% sure Richard wouldn’t want his original arrangements swamped (or worse still replaced) by someone else’s. Or maybe it’s just me :sigh:

I would trade any new compilation or original work by Richard if he would do one thing for the 50th anniversary;

Open up the "Yesterday Once More" warehouse next April so your adoring fans can check out your car collection and any other Carpenter memorabilia which it might contain!

Maybe, Richard could conduct it? Fresh new frequencies to pick up while recording sure beats overemphasized bass and drums heard in some of the remixes. Then place Karen’s voice inside the mix without the overdubs?

The Carpenters catalogue of hits is already lushly orchestrated thanks to Richard. I’m not sure what adding the Royal Philharmonic would do other than make the songs sound a bit bigger. And I’m 100% sure Richard wouldn’t want his original arrangements swamped (or worse still replaced) by someone else’s. Or maybe it’s just me :sigh:

I can see how Richard wouldn't want his songs re-orchestrated.

I wrote this because I saw how happy Brian Wilson was with the project
and when he said, "I'm not going to retire. I refuse to retire."
It was nice to see. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra breathed new life into their work.

Hi
I think it would be great iof Richard released a commerative Book which would include photos,interviews,Behind the scene stories etc concerts,appearances and success in other countries stories.

I wrote this because I saw how happy Brian Wilson was with the project and when he said, "I'm not going to retire. I refuse to retire." It was nice to see. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra breathed new life into their work.

100% I can see where Brian is coming from. I absolutely adored what the Royal Philharmonic did with Aretha’s Say A Little Prayer For You and Elvis’ An American Trilogy. Because of those new arrangements, those two songs are now on my regular playlist. I’m just saying that Richard is so anal and OCD about their legacy that I don’t for a second think he’d want the catalogue stripped down and reconstructed. Not unless a) he was in charge of the entire project, b) the new arrangements were his and c) he supervised and conducted the entire thing.

Do I think that’s what he’s up to and do I think he’d undertake such a project in semi-retirement? Absolutely not. Would I love to be proven wrong? Absolutely :phones:

I think Chris May should talk to Richard about the Royal Philharmonic activity in this area and urge him to make a compromise arrangement with them, where he creates a new orchestral suite of his own that stands alongside what the prestigious Brits create. A true meeting of musical minds, if you will. That could be a true "win-win" for everyone--including us!!
:tiphat:

I think Chris May should talk to Richard about the Royal Philharmonic activity in this area and urge him to make a compromise arrangement with them, where he creates a new orchestral suite of his own that stands alongside what the prestigious Brits create. A true meeting of musical minds, if you will. That could be a true "win-win" for everyone--including us!!
:tiphat:

I think it'd be worth it to have the idea brought up to him.
What a great opportunity--if the RPO is interested.
They just finished the Beach Boys project, obviously, so the timing is about right.
From what I've seen by these producers, they have good intentions and do good work.

And I definitely see your point newvillefan.
Brian Wilson is very similar. His band would call him, "Dog Ears."
He wouldn't let anything slide in studio and worked tirelessly to craft their music.

...who knows what Rich is up to or if it'll flourish by the 50th mark.

We've seen it before, how a project may start out with a tracklisting different from what ultimately becomes the final product.

It would be a bit hard to swallow having yet another standard compilation for the 50th.
So, the next best idea is a compromise...

OR yeah maybe Richard himself is conducting new arrangements or material.

Something is in the air. Nostalgia/re-boots are very profitable right now. Many older artists I find are still doing great work. Like, for example, who ever thought ABBA would re-unite?!

It may be 10 years in the making for Richard; but I have a feeling, in whatever form it takes, we'll see a special addition to our collections.

Last edited:
Like virtually everyone here, I, too, hope for a commemorative 50th anniversary release of some sort. Hidden gems? Unvaulted marvels? New recordings by Richard? From this website, I have learned of quite a few songs that Karen and Richard recorded but never released. We've also heard that Richard has been in the studio. A promising sign, no doubt.

I do understand the appeal of a Royal Philharmonic treatment, yet I feel such a project would be superfluous to the point of overkill. Let's recap, shall we?
  • We have the original releases.
  • We have Richard's remixing of many hit songs and a few album cuts.
  • We have Richard's Original Master Karaoke treatment.
  • We have Richard's instrumental treatment via Pianist/Arranger/Composer/Conductor.
I do appreciate all of the above, although I prefer the original releases to remixes. The vast majority of the original singles and many album cuts were masterpieces in and of themselves. No further adjustments/treatments needed...

Back
Top Bottom