Carpenters In The UK

I couldn't find a thread that suited this but this one is as good as any, given the title :)

Here's a rare archive interview with Richard from UK breakfast TV Show "Good Morning Britain", recorded for the 10th anniversary of Karen's passing.

I couldn't find a thread that suited this but this one is as good as any, given the title :)

Here's a rare archive interview with Richard from UK breakfast TV Show "Good Morning Britain", recorded for the 10th anniversary of Karen's passing.

Thanks for that. Never seen that interview before. There seem to be some telling subtexts in both the interview and the discussion afterwards.

Haven't seen this one, thanks for posting. Wow, does Richard have a persecution complex or what (judging from his reaction at 1:18)? Can't believe that Rainy Days & Mondays was not an instant hit in the UK considering the reaction it got from the TV audience (hoops & hollers) during the 1971 BBC special.

Just seen Saturday 30th June channel 5 in U.K. are showing @ 7pm the documentary Karen Carpenter Goodbye to Love followed by Carpenters their greatest hits.

A review from this week’s Radio Times in the UK:

Will the Carpenters ever be afforded the same respect as, say, ABBA? Once deemed deeply uncool, the Super Troupers have justly been reappraised in recent years. But the toothy American siblings always had an image problem that detracted from the quality of their work, Richard’s prodigious music brain blending sublimely with Karen’s divine voice.

The terrible secret that jeopardised the group for years - anorexia nervosa, which killed Karen in 1983, when she was just 32 - is examined in this dramatised documentary, first shown in 2016”.

A review from this week’s Radio Times in the UK:

Will the Carpenters ever be afforded the same respect as, say, ABBA? Once deemed deeply uncool, the Super Troupers have justly been reappraised in recent years. But the toothy American siblings always had an image problem that detracted from the quality of their work, Richard’s prodigious music brain blending sublimely with Karen’s divine voice.

The terrible secret that jeopardised the group for years - anorexia nervosa, which killed Karen in 1983, when she was just 32 - is examined in this dramatised documentary, first shown in 2016”.

Actually, in the UK I think they are now given the same level of respect as ABBA (albeit that ABBA were much bigger on the singles chart here - although ABBA were never 'cool' in their heyday either!). It's in the US really where their image problem has never really been successfully resolved.

Actually, in the UK I think they are now given the same level of respect as ABBA (albeit that ABBA were much bigger on the singles chart here - although ABBA were never 'cool' in their heyday either!). It's in the US really where their image problem has never really been successfully resolved.

Most people I talk to here who know about my love for them have nothing but praise and admiration for them. They are still really popular here in the UK.

I was in HMV in Liverpool yesterday to pick up the RPO LP (they couldn't sell it until the next day !)

Any way,I thought I'd check out what other things they had from our duo and I was pleasantly surprised ! It appears that UMG and HMV are impressed with how well the RPO album did in the UK, first it went Top 10 in December then again back to the Top 10 in May. This suggests that there is still a demand for them, so much so that they were fully stocked up on Carpenters gear. In the vinyl section they had every single studio album from "Ticket To Ride" up to "Lovelines" (the reissues), in the CD section they had a few of the studio albums, RPO, Gold, 40/40, Nations Favourite, Yesterday Once More, Ultimate Collection, Singles 69-81 and Love Songs... And the biggest suprise of all.... In the DVD section they had a full stock of the Gold: Greatest Hits DVD ! I've never seen this much Carpenters in one place ! (Except in my home of course)

Here are some cool articles for Carpenters Gold Greatest Hits released in the UK in 2000.
They should have used the album cover instead of this photo especially with the mention of Abba Gold.
Still nice to see they mentioned this release at all.

Gold Greatest Hits UK Release
Music Week UK
Nov 25, 2000

z2eP8Ox.png

Gold Greatest Hits UK Release
Music Week UK
Dec 09, 2000

7Dm38Kp.png

“It is one of only two new entries to the top 75 this week, the other being ‘Rage Against The Machine’”

Now that’s one artist I never thought I’d see mentioned in the same sentence as Carpenters!

Went into HMV today, and one thought that came to me is that Gold really needs issuing on vinyl. I can just see it as you walk in, those "standard" vinyls like ABBA Gold, Fleetwood Mac Rumours ect. that you see on the first shelves as you walk in. I'm suprised this hasn't been done, Gold has seen fairly stable sales for over two decades and vinyl is bigger than ever in the UK.

Went into HMV today, and one thought that came to me is that Gold really needs issuing on vinyl. I can just see it as you walk in, those "standard" vinyls like ABBA Gold, Fleetwood Mac Rumours ect. that you see on the first shelves as you walk in. I'm suprised this hasn't been done, Gold has seen fairly stable sales for over two decades and vinyl is bigger than ever in the UK.
They could even use gold-colored vinyl—-if they used a good pressing plant.

Back
Top Bottom