Carpenters Deep Cuts

WYBIMLA

We often ask each other what our favourite songs are OR how we might introduce a new listener to the music of The Carpenters. But, let's say that person asks:

"I've heard all The Carpenters hits, but now I want to dig deeper. What album tracks or other singles should I play next? Why those ones?" (give your top 2 - 5 songs) :D

Last edited:
Another Song: original version: harmonic structure and imagination of the end of life into desolation
Invocation: creation of a modern Madrigal sound and style using only Richard and Karen.
I’ll Never Fall In Love Again: original version: background vocals and arrangement
Guess I Just Lost My Head: background vocals
I Can Dream, Can’t I?: Karen's deep, smokey, luscious, interpretive, voice on display

Once again, we are given an impossible task, but I am a sucker for these lists;

One More Time
- Karen delving deep into the basement on this one. Emotive, melancholy, great subdued arrangement. Simple yet powerful.
This Masquerade - Forever dispelled any doubt that Karen couldn't sing sexy, sultry lyrics. Outstanding arrangement and that piano solo, my God!
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song - Bouncy, playful, happy, joyful...
Road Ode - Beautifully introspective. Fits perfectly with what they would ultimately endure (a grueling road schedule). So unlike what the Carpenters were typically putting out.
B'wana She No Home - It's a great dance tune! If I could go back in time, I would've had the DJ spin this at my wedding reception. Karen is having a great time on this one.

Honorable Mention:
I Can Dream, Can't I? - Eight years before "What's New" and a decade or two before Rod converts to big band tunes, Karen does it in style.

Easy! And, in no particular order:

1. Ordinary Fool
2. One More Time
3. Desperado
4. Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night
5. When It's Gone
6. B'wana She No Home
7. I Can Dream, Can't I?
8. Don't Cry For Me Argentina
9. Another Song
10. You're the One

There's probably more; however, I think the above list contain both Karen's superb vocals and Richard's versatility in selecting and arranging/producing material of varying styles to showcase their talents beyond commercial "pop."

"I've heard all The Carpenters hits, but now I want to dig deeper. What album tracks or other singles should I play next? Why those ones?" (give your top 2 - 5 songs) :D

Great thread! :righton:

Queen did three albums called Deep Cuts (1, 2 and 3) and the hardcore fans and reviewers raved about them. They had quite a few rare and previously unreleased mixes. So in that vein, sorry but I just couldn’t resist going for a full blown Carpenters Deep Cuts album :laugh:.

Mine would look like this:

1. Road Ode (Remix)
2. A Song For You (Remix)
3. B’Wana She No Home
4. When You’ve Got What It Takes
5. I Can Dream Can’t I
6. Happy
7. Sailing On The Tide
8. One More Time
9. Sandy
10. Let Me Be The One (Remix)
11. Slow Dance
12. Eve (Remix)
13. One Love (Remix)
14. Two Sides
15. Now
16. Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
17. Tryin’ To Get The Feeling Again
18. Another Song (Remix)

Last edited:
Another Song: original version: harmonic structure and imagination of the end of life into desolation
Invocation: creation of a modern Madrigal sound and style using only Richard and Karen.
I’ll Never Fall In Love Again: original version: background vocals and arrangement
Guess I Just Lost My Head: background vocals
I Can Dream, Can’t I?: Karen's deep, smokey, luscious, interpretive, voice on display

I agree. By the way, you probably know that the beginning section of 'Another Song' was a copy of a classical piece by a well-known composer, although Richard is noted as composer. I can't remember who the writer actually was for that opening section. I think that's been noted on here before. 'Intermission', from 'A Song for You', is also lifted from a classical piece, with changed lyrics, (obviously). I can't remember if 'Invocation' and 'Benediction' are also lifted from classical pieces or if they really are solely Richard's own compositions.

I agree with Newvillefan's philosophy. My non-hit Deep Cuts would fill 2 albums:

1) California Dreamin'
2) All I Can Do
3) Reason To Believe
4) Another Song
5) I Kept On Loving You
6) And When He Smiles
7) A Song For You
8) This Masquerade
9) I Can Dream Can't I
10) Happy
11) Trying To Get The Feeling Again
12) One More Time
13) Two Sides
14) Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
15) Bwana She No Home
16) Where Do I Go From Here
17) Don't Cry For Me Argentina
18) Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
19) When It's Gone
20) Still Crazy After All These Years
21) When Time Was All We Had
22) Karen's Theme

I agree. By the way, you probably know that the beginning section of 'Another Song' was a copy of a classical piece by a well-known composer, although Richard is noted as composer. I can't remember who the writer actually was for that opening section. I think that's been noted on here before. 'Intermission', from 'A Song for You', is also lifted from a classical piece, with changed lyrics, (obviously). I can't remember if 'Invocation' and 'Benediction' are also lifted from classical pieces or if they really are solely Richard's own compositions.
The beginning of Another Song is from Handel's Messiah.

Great question.

I played California Dreamin' without telling anyone. One friend asked who it was. When I told him, he was blown away.

Another Song- one friend loved the choir like harmony explosion while a musician friend was surprised by their musical abilities at the coda.

I like playing Iced Tea for fans of jazz. What? Karen is there? What's she doing? Whaa!!!

Then, This Masquerade. There is context here.

A Song for You- so sublime. Plus, Bobby's sax solo! I mean ...

As a bonus, I would like to add their version of Can't Buy Me Love. Under any circumstance, it's a surprisingly unique and good cover that shows they could be a little bit funky, and have some attitude. Easily, my fave Beatles cover from them, and maybe, the most obscure.

As a bonus, I would like to add their version of Can't Buy Me Love. Under any circumstance, it's a surprisingly unique and good cover that shows they could be a little bit funky, and have some attitude. Easily, my fave Beatles cover from them, and maybe, the most obscure.
I agree!! I wish it was officially anthologized...

So many great selections!

I don't get tired of seeing the ways in which Karen and Richard had an eclectic taste in music.
I enjoy their original material! A lot of which defaults to being a deep cut.
Something about themes of Sailing and Hawaii fits so well with The Cs.
If I chose one from each album I might have something like this:

1) All I can do
2) Another song (Sweet Memory remix)
3) One Love (By Request remix)
4) Crystal Lullaby (Treasures remix)
5) I can't make music (Treasures remix)
6) Happy
7) Boat to Sail
8) Two Sides
9) When it's gone
10) At the end of a song (Carpenters perform Carpenter master)
11) Honolulu city lights
12) All those years ago (instrumental)
13) Without a song (As time goes by version)
14) Trying to get the feeling again (bonus track)

I'd have to include:
NoWhere Man
One More Time
Two Sides
Trying To Get The Feeling Again
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Single version, of course).
A Song For You
Two Lives
Don't Cry For Me Argentina (minus the Balcony intro).

Back
Top Bottom