🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Anyone know what's going on with the 50th Anniversary website? It currently is shutdown as "Account Suspended". Are they putting up a different site?

Anyone know what's going on with the 50th Anniversary website? It currently is shutdown as "Account Suspended". Are they putting up a different site?
Credit card used for paying for the website needed to be updated. All is well with Registration set to open on August 1st.

Hello, all Carpenters fans !

The organizing committee for the upcoming 50th Anniversary Celebration is pleased to announce that the website is now LIVE.

You can now REGISTER for the event at: www.Carpenters50th.com

We look forward to seeing all of you in Thousand Oaks next April !

I’m officially signed up for the complete event - what a bonanza. Can’t wait!

One question for the organisers: the website states that when booking over the telephone you need to provide billing information, but then it also says on arrival at the hotel, your credit card will be authorised for the full amount. So do you pay at the time of booking or upon arrival?

Last edited:
Stephen, if you get an answer, let me know.

I am sitting on the fence for this. While I really want to celebrate the 50th (especially since the new album is coming!)) I don't want to take three days off work if it is going to be a bunch of people who want to cry over the tragedy. But if we have great people that want to talk music and the legacy, I would be totally interested. But I realize there are two kinds of fans!

I’m officially signed up for the complete event - what a bonanza. Can’t wait!

One question for the organisers: the website states that when booking over the telephone you need to provide billing information, but then it also says on arrival at the hotel, your credit card will be authorised for the full amount. So do you pay at the time of booking or upon arrival?

Hi, Stephen.

It's fairly standard practice in the hospitality industry for a hotel to take down credit card information at the time a room is booked. The hotel may charge an "authorization amount" on the card at the start of your stay - just to make sure that there are no problems with the card number or that the card isn't "maxed out" already.

With the Palm Garden Hotel, I do know that they will book an "authorization charge" of $50 US up front for room incidentals. If you don't use any "room incidentals" during the course of your stay, that charge will be reversed upon check out.

As for the timing of any other charges, I suggest that you speak to the hotel directly. The number of the Palm Garden Hotel is 805-716-4200. I can tell you that I booked my hotel reservation a few weeks ago and there have been no charges against my credit card to date.

Hope the above info helps. Looking forward to seeing you there at the event.

Stephen, if you get an answer, let me know.

I am sitting on the fence for this. While I really want to celebrate the 50th (especially since the new album is coming!)) I don't want to take three days off work if it is going to be a bunch of people who want to cry over the tragedy. But if we have great people that want to talk music and the legacy, I would be totally interested. But I realize there are two kinds of fans!

For people who are concerned about using too much of their vacation time, it is possible to register for individual days. The Saturday itinerary may be what would interest you most since that is the day when we are planning to hold a Q&A session.

Hi, Stephen.

It's fairly standard practice in the hospitality industry for a hotel to take down credit card information at the time a room is booked. The hotel may charge an "authorization amount" on the card at the start of your stay - just to make sure that there are no problems with the card number or that the card isn't "maxed out" already.

With the Palm Garden Hotel, I do know that they will book an "authorization charge" of $50 US up front for room incidentals. If you don't use any "room incidentals" during the course of your stay, that charge will be reversed upon check out.

As for the timing of any other charges, I suggest that you speak to the hotel directly. The number of the Palm Garden Hotel is 805-716-4200. I can tell you that I booked my hotel reservation a few weeks ago and there have been no charges against my credit card to date.

Hope the above info helps. Looking forward to seeing you there at the event.

Thank you for the info, I’ll give them a call directly. I only ask because I had a bad experience at a Las Vegas hotel where I paid the full balance up front and they took the entire amount from my card again on arrival. It took three weeks to get it back.

Anyhow, I’m so looking forward to this event which I’m sure will leave us with lots of great memories once it’s over. The fact that there’s a new album in the works just adds to the buzz and excitement. I couldn’t come all the way from the UK and not sign up for the full works :)

Last edited:
Still on the fence. It says that only 100 people can fit in the bus tours. Is it close to that number yet? If there are more people, what would they do during the tours??

Still on the fence. It says that only 100 people can fit in the bus tours. Is it close to that number yet? If there are more people, what would they do during the tours??

The attendees list currently indicates that 25 people have registered in the last 3 days.

When the registration numbers for Wed. or Thurs. hit 100, then we will have reached our limit due to the size of the buses.

So if you are interested in participating in the bus tours, you will want to register before the numbers for Wed. and Thurs. get close to 100.

I will talk to my colleagues on the organizing committee about setting up a standby list in the event that demand for the bus tours exceeds the 100 limit. It is possible that some early registrants may need to cancel before next April due to unforeseen circumstances. In that case, some spots may open up in the month prior to the event.

Finally, I should emphasize that the Saturday night event does NOT have a 100 person limit. So even if the bus tours do fill up early, you would still be able to register for the Saturday buffet and panel discussion.

SEE BELOW

Last edited by a moderator:
REPOST - Apologies for my typo. I should have written Thursday or Friday in the above post. The corrected version is below.

============================================================================

The attendees list currently indicates that 25 people have registered in the last 3 days.

When the registration numbers for Thursday or Friday hit 100, then we will have reached our limit due to the size of the buses.

So if you are interested in participating in the bus tours, you will want to register before the numbers for Thursday or Friday get close to 100.

I will talk to my colleagues on the organizing committee about setting up a standby list in the event that demand for the bus tours exceeds the 100 limit. It is possible that some early registrants may need to cancel before next April due to unforeseen circumstances. In that case, some spots may open up in the month prior to the event.

Finally, I should emphasize that the Saturday night event does NOT have a 100 person limit. So even if the bus tours do fill up early, you would still be able to register for the Saturday buffet and panel discussion.

I just visited the 50th Anniversary website and got two lovely surprises. Around 50 people have already signed up for this event and I see quite a few familiar names on that list, which is great. I can’t wait to meet everyone! The other surprise is that when I registered, I was asked for my favourite single and album track. I thought this might just be for some poll that might be announced at the event about best voted for songs, but I’ve just read that one of the tribute bands we're seeing is performing a special edition of their show based on songs that we voted for. How great is that?!

Just booked my flights. Decided to fly into Santa Barbara which is only 53 miles to the west of Thousand Oaks so I won't have to deal with LAX (42 miles) and the traffic. Burbank was also an option but Santa Barbara actually had better connections from the east coast via American Airlines.

Last edited:
^^ Awesome Portlander, see you there!! You mentioned Burbank, that is a great option for the event due to it's close proximity to the 101 Fwy which cuts directly west thru the San Fernando Valley right to Thousand Oaks. I am attending a wedding in a couple of weeks in Oxnard and will being flying into Burbank (my first time). We are renting a car and driving to Oxnard. If the route is good, I plan on flying to Burbank for the event in April also. But Santa Barbara is a great choice and the drive down the coast is outstanding. I don't know if Burbank or Santa Barbara could be an option for fans coming from Europe, I don't know if they are large enough airports for international traffic. LAX is a friggen nightmare! Long Beach could be an option too.

In total agreement with you. LAX is the only option for international travelers unless you want to visit San Francisco (6 hour drive) or Las Vegas (4 hour drive) for a few days. A red eye flight was the only option out of Burbank on my way home, where I found a 10 AM departure out of SBA. You must fly out of Sacramento which gives you a lot of regional options to get to the LA area? The small extra cost and one additional stop from Maine is worth it so I don't have to deal with LA traffic except on an air conditioned tour bus with my fellow Carpenter fans!

This event is the culmination of a two week trip to the US for me, I’ll be flying into LAX from Dallas Fort Worth. I didn’t even think about booking with a smaller regional airport in LA. Never mind. I land at 13:30 on 24th April, which is the first day of check in at the Thousand Oaks hotel and will get a shuttle bus. I dont mind the traffic, I’m not in a rush and it’s all part of the adventure. I’m so excited already. Great to see more people signed up!

Last edited:
My in-laws live in Huntington Beach so we go down to SoCal quite a bit. Sacramento to Long Beach usually on JetBlue. Long Beach is great, not very crowded and easy to get in and out of. I have heard a lot of good things about Burbank too. I haven't flown to LAX in many years but the traffic down there is usually horrendous. Once you get out of that general area, it's not too bad. This Forum will be represented! I can hardly wait, I am so looking forward to this!! I checked on the website today, there are 48 people currently signed-up. I figure once the event starts getting near, there will be a lot more sign-ups. Anyway, it's going to be a blast!

Though there are many events I'm looking forward to, the possibility of visiting Richard's warehouse and checking out his car collection is number one on my list. Seeing the Carpenters exhibit at CSLB would be second and a surprise appearance by Richard would cancel out the other two! Carpe diem, your genuine enthusiasm is evident and we are still 8 months out : )

Hi, Stephen.

Hi Robert

I forgot to say thank you for replying with this information. I called the hotel today, mentioned the Carpenters 50th and managed to reserve a courtyard room for the same price as a standard room as they still had availability. They also confirmed what you said, that payment is on check in. Another box ticked! :righton:

Back
Top Bottom