I wish ______ had a promo video!

WYBIMLA

A promotional video or music video has a way of bringing a single to life. It's hard to imagine Michael Jackson's Thriller without the visual. Arguably, if it didn't have the short film attached to it the song wouldn't be nearly as memorable.
In the time of The Carpenters, promo videos weren't so much a fully fleshed out stories, but simply had the artist lip-syncing with occasional cutaways. The Carpenters had some well done videos made over their career. My favourite we be "Only Yesterday."

What song of the C's do you wish had a promo video? and why?
(This can also include a song you wish had made it into one of their TV specials)

For earlier in their career, I'd say Road Ode. It's a fantastic song. Lyrically it humanizes them in a way other songs don't. Great to see this with some footage on-tour and in the studio singing it.
Later, I'd go for When you've got what it takes.
It was more contemporary in '81 and talks about finding your strength rather than lamenting or wanting something to be better. There's something more brother/sister duo about it too.

A promotional video or music video has a way of bringing a single to life. It's hard to imagine Michael Jackson's Thriller without the visual. Arguably, if it didn't have the short film attached to it the song wouldn't be nearly as memorable.
In the time of The Carpenters, promo videos weren't so much a fully fleshed out stories, but simply had the artist lip-syncing with occasional cutaways. The Carpenters had some well done videos made over their career. My favourite we be "Only Yesterday."

What song of the C's do you wish had a promo video? and why?
(This can also include a song you wish had made it into one of their TV specials)

For earlier in their career, I'd say Road Ode. It's a fantastic song. Lyrically it humanizes them in a way other songs don't. Great to see this with some footage on-tour and in the studio singing it.
Later, I'd go for When you've got what it takes.
It was more contemporary in '81 and talks about finding your strength rather than lamenting or wanting something to be better. There's something more brother/sister duo about it too.

Easy question!

1. Goodbye to Love; It was one of their hits!
2. Yesterday Once More; It was one of their MONSTER hits!
3. (Want You) Back in My Life Again; It's the only single from MIA that doesn't have one.
4. If I Had You; This song just lends itself so well to having a promo video.

Oh yes Want you Back in my life again! It would have made for a fun promo video.
There is the Merv Griffin appearance or Brazil show performance
that gives an idea of what that might have looked like.

With new music on the horizon, there could be a new video or two.
I'd suspect Goodbye to Love or Yesterday Once More.
There's enough footage to use for something like that or at least a newly created lyrical video.
Like this:

So, it's not too late for those ones. :D

I stick to my guns that an animated video would work well.
All you'd have to do is pay a company to design tasteful, cartoon versions of The C's. Put in a few different backgrounds and sync it to one of their songs.

Heck, a group of fans could organize something like that, today.
For our own entertainment I suppose. Lol
Make that MIA cover come to life. It'd be cute. haha

Officially though... it's possible we'll get a new promo video. :)
Let's hope for YOM and GTL, since they havn't had one, yet.

Last edited:
I wish Little Altar Boy had a 'promo' video.....
for that matter, recording sessions for Christmas Portrait should have been video recorded.
I will settle for an official dvd release of Christmas music, including the segment of
Christmas music from the 1978 Bruce Forsyth Program....
Was there ever any commentary regarding that recent PBS DVD of Christmas music ?

Great topic!!

There are so many but here are my top picks.

Solitaire (I’d love a video of just her in the studio with headphones when officially released)

You’re The One (excellently choreographed with someone she loves)

Trying To Get The Feeling Again (because I want to see her turn the page)

At The End Of A Song (a sad song that Karen could make even more heart wrenching with a video that after the last note is played there is no one)

I've created a quick video for "Road Ode" utilizing the pre-Budokan footage. It fits with the subject of the song!

Seeing that footage again after so long, it really struck home to me how young Karen looks. She was just 24 years old in this video, looked so fresh faced and young for her years, whilst fronting a world famous group, touring the globe on the back of multi million-selling records. The pressure on her must have been enormous.

Well, I was going to watch just a snippet of that and ended up glued to it all through. Excellent job. Thanks.

Agreed, great job.

As soon as I heard the opening piano I knew it was the remix. I watched right until the end.

I only wish we had those last three songs on the 1972 album segued, but in their remixed format. Richard really did a beautiful job on this one.

. Solitaire (I’d love a video of just her in the studio with headphones when officially released)

You’re The One (excellently choreographed with someone she loves)

Trying To Get The Feeling Again (because I want to see her turn the page)

At The End Of A Song (a sad song that Karen could make even more heart wrenching with a video that after the last note is played there is no one)

Definitely 'Solitaire', the ultimate Carpenters song.

However, that recording is so legendary that it's sort of too magical for a film clip. Still, I used to wish that it had one.

I agree with most of the choices on this thread. 'Yesterday Once More' and 'Goodbye to Love' are brilliant songs. It would be nice to see promo clips for these. However, at least there is live footage of both of them.

'Little Altar Boy' is one of my favourite recordings, so I agree with GaryAlan. 'You're The One', 'Trying to Get the Feeling' and 'At The End of a Song' are also all amongst my favourites, so I can relate to what Rick is saying.

Then there's 'Honolulu City Lights', another ultimate fave. You can imagine an outdoors, beachy, breezy sunset clip for that. (Predictable, I know).

But Number One would have to be 'Solitaire'.

In the program "Close To You: Remembering The Carpenters", when they discuss the song "Goodbye To Love", there is a psychedelic, animation clip that seems to be made for the song. Does anyone know where this video clip came from?

I would have loved to have seen 2 "period piece" videos made for the songs "I Can Dream Can't I" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina"

In the program "Close To You: Remembering The Carpenters", when they discuss the song "Goodbye To Love", there is a psychedelic, animation clip that seems to be made for the song. Does anyone know where this video clip came from?

I’ve always wondered that as well. I’ve never seen it anywhere other than on that documentary.

I always thought "(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You" would have made an excellent vidéo. It is an underrated track.

And hell, most of the songs on Lovelines could have had a video. The album sounds so fresh, vibrant, and strangely appropriately modern for 1989

I've created a quick video for "Road Ode" utilizing the pre-Budokan footage. It fits with the subject of the song!

It works! Today, in our own ways, we can all be video producers.
It's amazing how you can mention something on a message board and within a day there it is. :)

Road Ode is a fantastic song. Lyrically it humanizes them in a way other songs don't.

That's very true. This is one of the very few songs that Carpenters recorded that could be said to recount, or touch upon, their personal experiences, even though they didn't write it. The fact that members of their band wrote it, though, (from memory), makes it pretty close to personal. A rare glimpse into their lives.

“Do You Hear What I Hear?” would be great as maybe a Rankin/Bass type video.

Plus the 84 Overture could also have a video, sort of like the Mannheim Steamroller Little Drummer Boy.

“Do You Hear What I Hear?” would be great as maybe a Rankin/Bass type video."

What does that mean? I've never heard that before so I don't understand the reference.

“Do You Hear What I Hear?” would be great as maybe a Rankin/Bass type video."

What does that mean? I've never heard that before so I don't understand the reference.
Rankin/Bass? You’ve never heard of Rankin/Bass?

Ever watch the 1964 “Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer”, the 1970 “Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town” or the 1968 “Little Drummer Boy” stop-motion Christmas specials? Those were done by Rankin/Bass!

That's a great idea!

sorry to bring this into the convo, but :razz: I recalled watching "Santa Clause is coming to town by Justin Bieber (animagic version)" in 2011. Similar idea to what you're saying there.
If that type of animation can be done in the 60s or the 2010s... why not??

KC and RC's Christmas material would work for a Rankin/Bass style video.
Mind you it'd take a long time to make.

Plus the 84 Overture could also have a video, sort of like the Mannheim Steamroller Little Drummer Boy.

I had never heard of Rankin / Bass or seen any of their productions. However, I just watched a couple of snippets. I read that most of the animation was handled by different companies in Japan, which maybe explains the fine attention to detail. There's a lot of talent behind crafting the figurines and patience and skill behind the animations. I was surprised to find that Bass is still alive, considering the first Rankin/Bass company was founded in 1960, as far as I can see.....and Rankin lived until 90.

Back
Top Bottom