Question about a Ti-wannabe

Aaron Bitman

Recently, I happened to stumble upon this...

In case you can't see it (if YouTube is blocked at your place of work, for example) it's an album called The Happy Trumpets Play Tijuana Brass Hits. It clearly covers TJB songs. According to one of the comments, it's credited in an online discography as being recorded by Ray Anthony! Can anyone confirm that it was Ray Anthony, or deny it and tell me who really made the album? Because I haven't found this online discography.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Who'd buy it when the far superior original versions are available? (And who would have bought it back in the day, for the same reason?)

I remember seeing a lot of artists trying to tag along on the Herb bandwagon by tapping into similarities (things like Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass) but why just make bad carbon copies?

I haven't heard the whole thing yet, but it looks like only the first 6 songs on that album cover the TJB's songs; I think that the other 6 don't.

I haven't heard the whole thing yet, but it looks like only the first 6 songs on that album cover the TJB's songs; I think that the other 6 don't.
Most of these type of TJB cover albums always seem to add original tunes or other songs done in that same style for the very reasons Rudy mentioned and there are Tons of it floating around

We had an entire page of Tijuanabes curated by @stolf that is in an old version of the Corner--I need to dig that out since there were many listed there. It's possible this Ray Anthony album was on there.

And that doesn't cover the Whipped Cream album jacket parodies, another genre unto itself. :laugh:

We had an entire page of Tijuanabes curated by @stolf that is in an old version of the Corner--I need to dig that out since there were many listed there.
I wholeheartedly agree. I've been wanting to see that list for over three years now.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Who'd buy it when the far superior original versions are available? (And who would have bought it back in the day, for the same reason?)

I remember seeing a lot of artists trying to tag along on the Herb bandwagon by tapping into similarities (things like Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass) but why just make bad carbon copies?

These imitation albums are known to collectors as "Drug Store" records. Back in the day, many drug and grocery stores had a small record rack. Knockoff records were sold in these racks at cheap prices to people who either didn't know better or didn't care.
I've seen albums with four guys on the front cover with mop-tops who are obviously not the Beatles. The music is studio unknowns covering Beatles tunes. But if Mom was grocery shopping and didn't know any better, there was a chance she might come home with the album for the kids.
I belong to a facebook group called "Brand X Records" which explores this weird genre... highly recommended for any record nerds out there.

I remember those Drug store Records I lived near a small town which had one drug store that sold records Especially Those type I always suspected they weren't all they were cracked up to be but they were interesting to look at but in the bigger towns nearby there were more of them along with the legitimate Records it was a different time back then

We had an entire page of Tijuanabes curated by @stolf that is in an old version of the Corner--I need to dig that out since there were many listed there. It's possible this Ray Anthony album was on there.

And that doesn't cover the Whipped Cream album jacket parodies, another genre unto itself. :laugh:

I am in favor of reviving a TiWannabes section as a sub forum, along with a listing of Whipped Cream cover parodies and inspired.

Back
Top Bottom