Music Volume 3 - Herb Alpert Reimagines the Tijuana Brass

Well, I've been flip-flopping about whether I would post on this topic at this point. I have decided to post about how it was in the early days of Herb Alpert's TJB. I bought SOUTH OF THE BORDER (my 1st album by any artist) in 1964 - I was 12. There were no previews, nor samples to download. But there were 45s to buy & hear - that were from the upcoming album. Anyone I knew who were fans, were literally thrilled to death to hear the new music and eagerly awaited the forthcoming album. As time moved along, Herb was releasing about two albums a year and we were all really loving it! As we now know, a large segment of the population was doing likewise.

So to get back on topic, listen to WADE IN THE WATER. It sounds great! Herb is playing better than ever and the REIMAGINING THE TIJUANA BRASS release date will be here before you know it. Enjoy your eargasm. :wink:

I am loving what I've heard so far... I, too, wonder if maybe the surviving Brass-men make a cameo or two. There are still four surviving Baja members as well. When I spoke with Frank DeVito he told me they still keep in touch... I believe the surviving members are Frank, Mel Pollan, Dave Wells and Frank DeCaro...

--Mr Bill

I've only heard the Soundcloud promo that was mentioned in the opening post. Is there a version with the whole track?

I can remember the order in which I first heard various Herb albums. Since I "got onboard" during the Going Places era, I heard the albums out of order... it seemed like every time I visited our local record store, there was a new Herb Alpert album in the racks. I think the last TJB album I heard was either The Lonely Bull or Volume 2!

I think most of us did that "out of order" thing. My first was WHIPPED CREAM, a mono pressing since I only had a mono record player. GOING PLACES came next, also mono.

Then came the stereo record player and WHAT NOW MY LOVE, and a backtrack to THE LONELY BULL, but that was mono.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER was next in full stereo. Then came SRO and the later releases were all in order after that. VOLUME 2 was the odd man out and I finally acquired it through my sister who picked it up where she was working. Unfortunately she grabbed the mono.

When GREATEST HITS finally came out, I got to hear some of the old mono tracks in stereo and I replaced all of the old mono albums, one at a time with stereo.

Whi could have predicted that 40 years later, I'd be tracking down those old mono pressings!

Mine was truly out of order as I was listening to my parents albums until I was finally able to stop spending my allowance on candy and start buying records starting with Rise when it was first issued which I got for Christmas that year then I found a sealed copy of Whipped cream months later and bought that for my own collection given the fact I lived in an area that didn't have a lot of Herb Alpert fans even the back catalog was very hard to obtain eventually I kept looking for everything as best as I could and now I have them all mostly on CD and some vinyl (and downloads plus what I already have on CD ripped into my laptop) it's nice to have the entire discography here it took a lot of work but it was all worth it and getting back on topic I'm looking forward to hearing Herb's reworking of the TJB I know he never does the same song the exact same way twice he always finds new ways to present his older songs He's done it many times before and I always say it's nice to have several different versions of old favorites it keeps things fresh and interesting in my opinion

We had the first eight or so TJBs on mono records that I played through as a kid, so I never really listened to them in any sort of order. From Ninth onward, those were the "good" records played only on the new stereo console. From about that point, I sort of remember when new albums came out.

This new one should be exciting!

The first album I got was the "America" compilation with songs from The Lonely Bull and Volume 2 albums at Christmas in 1969. During the next couple of years all I could think of was getting more Herb albums and in January I purchased Going Places, later in the spring Whipped Cream, during the summer of 1970 I received Sounds Like as a gift, and I remember getting The Brass Are Comin' for Christmas in 1970. I was able to get used copies of Ninth and Warm during these early years and I purchased Summertime as it came out in early autumn 1971 (in Norway). For Christmas in 71 I got South Of The Border and after that it is hard to remember but my collection today is quite impressive.

- greetings from the (still) pleasant north -
Martin

The first album I got was the "America" compilation with songs from The Lonely Bull and Volume 2 albums at Christmas in 1969. During the next couple of years all I could think of was getting more Herb albums and in January I purchased Going Places, later in the spring Whipped Cream, during the summer of 1970 I received Sounds Like as a gift, and I remember getting The Brass Are Comin' for Christmas in 1970. I was able to get used copies of Ninth and Warm during these early years and I purchased Summertime as it came out in early autumn 1971 (in Norway). For Christmas in 71 I got South Of The Border and after that it is hard to remember but my collection today is quite impressive.

- greetings from the (still) pleasant north -
Martin
I'd bet that it was a lot easier to find fresh copies of recent TJB albums back in those days!

I'd bet that it was a lot easier to find fresh copies of recent TJB albums back in those days!
Same was true for fresh Copies of Herb's Solo albums and many others back in the day for example I've seen stores overstuffed with unsold copies of Beyond on vinyl back in 1985 5 years after it's release for as cheap as 99 cents

When Peaches closed up in our area, I went in during their clearance sale and found Whipped Cream and Going Places as reissues (on the white/silver label) for a decent price, and bought both. Now if I could only go back in time and do that for the hundreds of albums I have on my vinyl want list. :laugh: I luck out occasionally and find sealed copies of records--my latest score was the Rosie Vela Zazu and Elton John's Too Low For Zero. (The latter was inexpensive enough to toss it in with the sale.)

I just made my preorder of Music Volume 3 today I figured I'd get it done ahead of time and even if it doesn't show up for a week after it's release it's ok it just gives me something to look forward to

In my first interview with Herb, I asked, "Do you realize 'El Presidente' and 'Winds of Barcelona' are the same song?" And he said, "Sure. And I'm trying to figure out a way to do that song again." As it will be on Volume 3.

Iv'e tried to order the latest CD from Barnes & Noble & it is not on the list though?? I wonder if it will be on itunes only come Friday, October 19?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Despite the popularity of the song, I'm a little unclear on how Rise gets included on a re-imagined Tijuana Brass collection?

Remember how "Rise" got its start. Herb was coerced into the studio to attempt a disco-fied update to the old Tijuana Brass sound. The attempt was deemed a total failure, but while the studio time was available, Randy whipped out his song called "Rise". It was supposed to be faster, but Herb slowed it down to the groove we all know, and the thing shot up to number one, with the help of a certain soap opera. So in a sense, "Rise" arose out of the ashes of the Tijuana Brass.

Remember how "Rise" got its start. Herb was coerced into the studio to attempt a disco-fied update to the old Tijuana Brass sound. The attempt was deemed a total failure, but while the studio time was available, Randy whipped out his song called "Rise". It was supposed to be faster, but Herb slowed it down to the groove we all know, and the thing shot up to number one, with the help of a certain soap opera. So in a sense, "Rise" arose out of the ashes of the Tijuana Brass.
I remember that infamous soap opera all the girls in school were hooked on it but they were totally oblivious to Herb because they were also hooked on the teen idols of the day but now when they think of Herb Alpert they fondly remember me because they knew I was and still am a huge fan amazing what 40 plus years can do

Back
Top Bottom