Music Volume 3 - Herb Alpert Reimagines the Tijuana Brass

Remember how "Rise" got its start. Herb was coerced into the studio to attempt a disco-fied update to the old Tijuana Brass sound. The attempt was deemed a total failure,

This makes me wonder, how did Herb warm up to the idea this time? Maybe it was the "disco" element that rubbed him wrong the last time ...and in retrospect, rightly so! I wonder if Randy was involved at all. (I'm guessing Herb had his own idea for new jazz-tinted arrangements on a handful of songs and then decided to expand on that, rather than a modified rebirth of the previous disco idea.)

However it happened, I'm really looking forward to this one.

This makes me wonder, how did Herb warm up to the idea this time? Maybe it was the "disco" element that rubbed him wrong the last time ...and in retrospect, rightly so! I wonder if Randy was involved at all. (I'm guessing Herb had his own idea for new jazz-tinted arrangements on a handful of songs and then decided to expand on that, rather than a modified rebirth of the previous disco idea.)

However it happened, I'm really looking forward to this one.

It's a motherlode for TjB fans...

This makes me wonder, how did Herb warm up to the idea this time? Maybe it was the "disco" element that rubbed him wrong the last time ...and in retrospect, rightly so! I wonder if Randy was involved at all.
Randy Badazz absolutely was involved with the idea of disco-fied TJB; according to Herb Alpert, the whole thing was Randy's idea. In this interview...

Off the record interview with Herb Alpert, 1987-02-12

...at around 47:38, you'll hear Herb himself testify: "My nephew... Randy Badazz... liked my music in the 60s and he said '...why don't you take some old songs and... make some disco versions of them? "A Taste of Honey Disco!"'"

Randy Badazz absolutely was involved with the idea of disco-fied TJB; according to Herb Alpert, the whole thing was Randy's idea.
I realize that....that was the LAST time. I was wondering if Randy came up with the idea THIS time.

I'm expecting something along the lines of a "tamer re-whipped". Since I liked RE-WHIPPED, I'll probably really like this one.

I'm hoping for limited, and preferably no use of electronic sounds of any kind.

Just as much old fashioned, straight ahead playing as possible.

I am hoping to be reminded of the original Tijuana Brass from back in the 1960s. While I don't expect a duplication of the original sound and arrangements - after all, that is not anything being "re-imagined", I am hoping for something definitely not like RE-WHIPPED (sorry to all the fans of that one - it didn't work for me). The sound clips that have been posted so far are encouraging to me that Herb might give us something that is based on the original Tijuana Brass.

I am looking forward to some expected updating. I definitely want to hear the "re-imagining" of these TJB classics.

However, I would like get the nostalgic feeling of the old days when I hear it.

Last edited:
I am hoping for something definitely not like RE-WHIPPED (sorry to all the fans of that one - it didn't work for me).
Agreed. The remixes of "Whipped Cream" and "A Taste of Honey" were ok. But afterward the rest of the album just got way too weird for me. On some of the tracks you don't even hear all of the melodies. I think I played that CD in it's entirety [maybe] twice. But honestly, if I never heard it again I wouldn't miss it.
Hoping that this project will be a little bit more down to earth, with just a few rearrangements of rhythm and instrumentation without all of the sonic textures. The COLORS and NORTH ON SOUTH ST. sound just doesn't mix with TJB.

I used the words "tamer re-whipped". I think people are totally missing my point. Tamer - means not as exaggerated as the remixes on RE-WHIPPED. I too hope they are not as exaggerated.

I also don't want an album that sounds exactly like the originals. We already HAVE those.

Just listened to the whole album. I am speechless. It's utterly brilliant. All so very familiar, nothing grotesquely different but very modern and 21st century. Exactly as it would be if Herb was starting the Tijuana Brass today. You won't just love this album. You'll adore it!

Just listened to the whole album. I am speechless. It's utterly brilliant. All so very familiar, nothing grotesquely different but very modern and 21st century. Exactly as it would be if Herb was starting the Tijuana Brass today. You won't just love this album. You'll adore it!
I will take your word for it Tony

Forget about Amazon or itunes, Barnes & Noble has just announced it & I will pick it up on Friday, October 19!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

There's a lot of confusion in the last few posts. Jeff604 mentioned that the song "Whipped Cream" from the new MUSIC VOLUME 3 was available for download on Amazon. So that was good news.

Our friend Bobberman confused that message I believe, thinking Jeff was talking about the *album" WHIPPED CREAM & OTHER DELIGHTS, which of course has been available forever on LPs, tapes, CDs, and now downloads, so his post mentions the date of last release of 2015 for that album.

Steve attempted to bring it all to order with his post, but that seemed to have confused Jeff as to just what we were talking about.

Here's the bottom line:
The song "Whipped Cream" from Herb's new and soon to be released MUSIC VOLUME 3, is now available for download from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZG2L3Q/ref=dm_ws_tlw_trk6

He apparently is talking about the track, WHIPPED CREAM, from the new album.
Ok I was confused I didn't know about the new version of Whipped cream I haven't kept up on things lately but thanks for Clearing that up everybody I'm just waiting until my preordered CD arrives on release day as I decided not to look for any previews this time around

There's a lot of confusion in the last few posts. Jeff604 mentioned that the song "Whipped Cream" from the new MUSIC VOLUME 3 was available for download on Amazon. So that was good news.

Our friend Bobberman confused that message I believe, thinking Jeff was talking about the *album" WHIPPED CREAM & OTHER DELIGHTS, which of course has been available forever on LPs, tapes, CDs, and now downloads, so his post mentions the date of last release of 2015 for that album.

Steve attempted to bring it all to order with his post, but that seemed to have confused Jeff as to just what we were talking about.

Here's the bottom line:
The song "Whipped Cream" from Herb's new and soon to be released MUSIC VOLUME 3, is now available for download from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZG2L3Q/ref=dm_ws_tlw_trk6
Thank you Harry and you are Correct And My Deepest apologies for The confusion I caused

Just a day or two Left Until Release Day and although I preordered mine a month ago it will be a few days after that when I receive my copy but it will be well worth the wait.

Back
Top Bottom