🥂 50th 50th Anniversary Celebration - West Coast*

In which city should the 50th Anniversary Celebration be based?

• Downey

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Thousand Oaks

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Long Beach

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
I'm really hoping that Richard can be a part of this. How great would it be if he could be on that panel discussion and perhaps more (like opening up the YOM wherehouse)?!! Also, nice to see Tom Nolan on the panel. He wrote a very fair piece in Rolling Stone when everyone else seemed to be bashing our beloved duo. Great things are happening in Carpenterland. Can't wait for April!!:)

I'm really hoping that Richard can be a part of this. How great would it be if he could be on that panel discussion and perhaps more (like opening up the YOM wherehouse)?!!

I wouldn't count on it. There is A LOT of hostility shown to Richard on this forum. If I were him, I'd stay very much away.

I wouldn't count on it. There is A LOT of hostility shown to Richard on this forum. If I were him, I'd stay very much away.

I think that’s a gross over-exaggeration. The vast majority of the time the debate here is healthy, informative, constructive and downright enjoyable. I wouldn’t want this thread to descend into an argument when it’s been so positive so far (I think I’ve already said similar a few pages back:)).

I think that’s a gross over-exaggeration. The vast majority of the time the debate here is healthy, informative, constructive and downright enjoyable. I wouldn’t want this thread to descend into an argument when it’s been so positive so far (I think I’ve already said similar a few pages back:)).

I dunno. Read some of the posts in the Karen solo album thread. Some pretty terrible things are said about Richard (and his mother, too) that would be considered pretty rude and downright mean to someone who lost his sister at a young age. I can go and find them and quote them here; however, like you, I don't want this thread to "descend into an argument." I'm just pointing out, that many here are, indeed, hostile toward Richard (sometimes...not always...to the point of absurdity). Why would he ever want to sit on a panel in front of a group of people that are going to ask rude and absurd questions about why he forced Karen to shelve her solo album; or why his mother was a terrible person? Think about it. Would you sit on such a panel?

@Geographer certainly has a point. On occasion, we have seen some "pretty terrible things being said" here. Perhaps no malice was intended. Perhaps what someone intends as analysis comes across to others as "hostility." Perhaps a negative comment wasn't artfully constructed. Several years ago, in part in reaction to such commentary, I created a thread for the express purpose of appreciating Richard (Time for Some Love for Richard! ). The spirit of that thread has thankfully been duplicated in countless threads and comments over the years on virtually a daily basis...

I just want to add that it would be awesome (and humbling for the fans), of course, if Richard would consider being part of this celebration. With the Royal Philharmonic project as well as the upcoming 50th Anniversary Celebration in California, there is heightened excitement and, in turn, incredible appreciation for Richard. Let's keep it rolling!

Why would he ever want to sit on a panel in front of a group of people that are going to ask rude and absurd questions about why he forced Karen to shelve her solo album; or why his mother was a terrible person? Think about it. Would you sit on such a panel?

I don’t think Richard is, or would even accept a request to be, a panelist. In my book, if he was to show up for any part of this event, he would be the absolute guest of honour and it would be the icing on the cake of what I think will be an amazing four days. I get what you’re saying about the solo album thread. For many, it’s an emotive subject - me included. But I’m sure - and I’d like to hope - that if he did make an appearance, people would be nothing but gracious, respectful and delighted to meet him. There’s a big difference between being a keyboard warrior and coming face to face with that person.

I just want to add that it would be awesome (and humbling for the fans), of course, if Richard would consider being part of this celebration. With the Royal Philharmonic project as well as the upcoming 50th Anniversary Celebration in California, there is heightened excitement and, in turn, incredible appreciation for Richard. Let's keep it rolling!

I’m with you there! Richard been known to turn up before to fan events (albeit only one or two). Let’s hope this could prove to be another. I’d be honoured to meet someone I consider my musical idol. The only one missing would be the other half of the duo.

I checked the list of attendees at the weekend and I think it’s over 60 now or close to it :). I’ve already been thinking of questions to ask the panel :laugh:

Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone that will be travelling that far and paying that kind of money to not be a Richard Carpenter fan and who wouldn't be star struck by seeing him. There would be no Carpenters without Richard and he needs to be celebrated for his additions since Karen passed. We are indeed lucky. I would love it if he made an appearance. I don't expect it at all, but it would be fantastic to meet the man responsible for music that has plucked at out heartstrings for years.

Opinions vary - we have the solo album and we cannot change history. I think the best part of the get together is that we will all be able to talk about the new album.

Completely do not agree with your viewpoint. Richard is a survivor of a very tough business. I would like to think that he's got a lot thicker skin than you realize. We cannot have a meaningful forum if Richard, or Karen for that matter, are always handled with "kid gloves". AND we have a very COMPETENT fellow named Harry to monitor our content and keep everything pleasant. I don't know why you keep wanting to kill the moment with this nonsense.

Completely do not agree with your viewpoint. Richard is a survivor of a very tough business. I would like to think that he's got a lot thicker skin than you realize. We cannot have a meaningful forum if Richard, or Karen for that matter, are always handled with "kid gloves". AND we have a very COMPETENT fellow named Harry to monitor our content and keep everything pleasant. I don't know why you keep wanting to kill the moment with this nonsense.

Well, it's not "nonsense." It is offensive remarks made PERSONALLY against Richard. I am not talking about constructive criticism of the music, Richard's professional choices, or dislikes of any of the songs or albums (Richard is quoted many places criticizing his own professional and musical decisions and directions). I am referring to personal remarks specifically targeted at him and his mother regarding their "alleged" role in Karen's life and death. He is, first and foremost, a fellow human being; and there are some things stated on here that are, frankly, quite unfair and, even more so, offensive.

Seriously, I think Richard can see through the BS, and he understands the lifelong loyalty and love for Carpenters. He’s a big boy and can handle criticism very well. The negativity pertaining to the solo album is from an extremely passionate perspective of the members here. Those comments are water under the bridge. I seriously doubt he’s concerned about such a small percentage of the thousands of comments posted. He knows we’re from a very good place.

Seriously, I think Richard can see through the BS, and he understands the lifelong loyalty and love for Carpenters. He’s a big boy and can handle criticism very well. The negativity pertaining to the solo album is from an extremely passionate perspective of the members here. Those comments are water under the bridge. I seriously doubt he’s concerned about such a small percentage of the thousands of comments posted. He knows we’re from a very good place.

I hope you are right. I was perusing through the archives here and found more disturbing posts from people around the time Little Girl Blue book came out. Also, another "response" thread highlighting Richard from villain to anti-Christ. So the negative personal comments do abound...but so do other's coming to his defense. Fortunately, not as many ugly posts in the recent past. Richard is a good guy (despite the ugliness that some attribute to him), so I tend to think you are right.

I think it best that we leave this sub-topic and get back to discussing the upcoming event. Both sides have made their points, and nothing good can come from further discussion. I do NOT want to have to close the thread.

Well said and thank you.

Out of curiosity do we know how many people have signed up for the full four day event? I’m wondering what to do with the day off on the Saturday :)

I think it best that we leave this sub-topic and get back to discussing the upcoming event. Both sides have made their points, and nothing good can come from further discussion. I do NOT want to have to close the thread.

My last word on this, I promise. What good that can come out of this is that some may curtail the personal insults toward Richard, especially if they hope he shows up to the conference.

These are my last word on this.

For those of us that are lucky enough to be able to attend, what’s the part that you’re most looking forward to doing/seeing?

I can’t wait to see the display at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center and I’m really excited for the panel discussion. The absolute icing on the cake would be to see Richard’s car warehouse. Does anyone know if the latest episode of Jay Leno’s Garage featuring the segment with Richard is available online yet? I keep looking for it but no luck so far.

1. Richard's car collection, 2. Carpenter Performing Arts Center, 3. tribute concerts, 4. Downey sights, 5. hanging by the pool with fellow Carpenter fans after a frigid Maine winter!

Normally take a few months before NBC releases the Leno Garage episodes for free. It was excellent, be patient it will hopefully be on YouTube soon. Have you watched the first one from a few years ago? I have a feeling that if there is a chance to actually meet Richard, it would be during the "possible" visit to his warehouse. Could not imagine him inviting us and not being onsite for the event. It's also a large open space where he'd feel comfortable interacting with everyone in an environment which would involve conversation other than just strictly music.

Back
Top Bottom