đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that one from August uses synthesized instruments, it's fake but uses may be the same arrangement but I've had Randy Schmidt confirm that the first clip is legitimate.

Yup, post #724 sounds like the "real deal." OMG! First, this performance is one of Karen's finest (Dec. 1978) vocal interpretations, just her crystal clear voice, no "O.K. Chorale," no applause, and the symphony orchestra as the ambiance. This is the perfect gift to the fans and the world.........Now I am truly excited!

Alright, now I'm nervous about this project. I really want the original singing with the orchestra. I enjoyed the live version, but I hope the whole set is not that way. How does everyone else feel?
I love this live version, and would be thrilled with other songs using alternate / live vocals. We have countless remixes of the hits, and Richard's productions were flawless, but it would be wonderful to hear something different.

A few observations about the above clip that has surfaced:

1. I listened to this today via my TV soundbar system and it sounded awesome. No way does this sound anything but authentic. The giveaway moment for me is the second verse. In the line “so here I am with pockets full of good intentions”, there’s a beautiful staccato string pattern which sounds like it was designed especially for that moment in the song.

2. The audio is outstanding, which leads me to believe this is one of the tracks. I detected a Joe Osborne bassline when I don’t believe he was there in 1978 for the live performance of this on the Bruce Forsyth Show. That would suggest to me that the track has been tinkered with as I thought may be the case during the recording process.

3. If it’s authentic, that means they must have made a multi-track recording of the performances from the show in 1978. Richard wouldn’t have been able to do this otherwise, surely?

4. If this is one of the tracks from the album, where has it come from and who leaked it? I would imagine Richard would not be best pleased.

5. If genuine, I hope there aren’t any more leaks like this. I know we’re all dying to hear the album but it would ruin the experience if tracks are drip fed via social media between now and Christmas.

6. If it’s not authentic, someone did a beautiful job on this!

Yup totally agree with what you hear. :agree:

no "O.K. Chorale," no applause, and the symphony orchestra as the ambiance.

That’s another thing that makes me think this has been done from a direct multi-track recording. The studio applause isn’t locked in with the music all one one track as is the case with some of the songs from their earlier career. It sounds pristine.

About Karen Carpenter performing on "Bruce Forsyth’s Big Night," she did three Carpenters songs, right? Please Mr. Postman, Merry Christmas Darling, and I Need To Be In Love. Is it possible all of these versions were recorded live in the studio (in California) on multi-tracks, and the band mimed and Karen lip-synced these songs in her usual perfect way? It would make a lot of sense. And explain why this track is adaptable to use in the new album.

So has anyone listened to the version of Thank you for the music on the same youtube channel.Seems a mix of tv and other over music recording.Demo for possible recording in terms of piano at the start and end?.New to me but just curious about it.I have repeated I need to be in love about twenty times now.:)

About Karen Carpenter performing on "Bruce Forsyth’s Big Night," she did three Carpenters songs, right? Please Mr. Postman, Merry Christmas Darling, and I Need To Be In Love. Is it possible all of these versions were recorded live in the studio (in California) on multi-tracks, and the band mimed and Karen lip-synced these songs in her usual perfect way? It would make a lot of sense. And explain why this track is adaptable to use in the new album.
I always thought the songs were live vocal by Karen but Richards stand in is clearly not playing the piano,just can't remember which song shows the keys a bit closer.Happy memories of watching Bruces big night on tv that Christmas.The Brucie at the end of Merry Christmas darling seems live as does their Christmas medley on the same show.

I’ve never considered that before but it’s definitely a possibility. Karen was the master of miming when it came to performing to playback. And let’s not forget there was also an orchestra audible on this song as it was performed on the show. I’ve always wondered how it could sound so perfect. Maybe that’s the reason why.

Let’s also not forget that Please Mr Postman and Merry Christmas Darling are also slated for inclusion on the album...

I always thought the songs were live vocal by Karen but Richards stand in is clearly not playing the piano,just can't remember which song shows the keys a bit closer.Happy memories of watching Bruces big night on tv that Christmas.The Brucie at the end of Merry Christmas darling seems live as does their Christmas medley on the same show.

Maybe it was a mix of live and pre-recorded, but clean studio multi-tracks exist? :)

She did the Christmas medley too but she did it as a duet with Bruce. It's a Shane he's no longer wuth us. He passed away last year - a true British National Treasure.

Another little connection to Karen & Bruce is that he was a huge entertainer on the Palladium... His ashes are actually laid to rest under the stage of the Palladium

Who knows, maybe we'll finally get to hear the outtake vocal leads to "Close To You"

At this point, WHY NOT! Maybe some things have been held back (saved?) for this occasion. We haven't heard a lot of variations of the songs we know and love. Maybe it was time to unlock the vaults!

This is cleverly done; they have made, essentially, a 'three-track' stereo recording. I.E. the centre is unchanged from the original show's audio, whilst additional instrumentation is panned to the far left and far right - the other two 'tracks'. A technique used since the '50s to give a good 'three-dimensional' stereo image; this album from Judy Garland is a good example.

Here, to help illustrate:
3-to-2-track_583.jpg

Basically it's the same now with most vocals and bass mixed to the centre whilst drums/strings/synths are on the outer edges of the soundstage.
It's very likely a fan-made remix, albeit one of the best ones out there. Taking out the hard-panned parts leaves the original show's audio.

Last edited:
This is cleverly done; they have made, essentially, a 'three-track' stereo recording. I.E. the centre is unchanged from the original show's audio, whilst additional instrumentation is panned to the far left and far right - the other two 'tracks'. A technique used since the '50s to give a good 'three-dimensional' stereo image; this album from Judy Garland is a good example.

Here, to help illustrate:
3-to-2-track_583.jpg

Basically it's the same now with most vocals and bass mixed to the centre whilst drums/strings/synths are on the outer edges of the soundstage.
It's very likely a fan-made remix, albeit one of the best ones out there. Taking out the hard-panned parts leaves the original show's audio.[/QUOT

I am not a musician, and have no technical knowledge, but there are strings I have not heard before.

5. If genuine, I hope there aren’t any more leaks like this. I know we’re all dying to hear the album but it would ruin the experience if tracks are drip fed via social media between now and Christmas.!

I’m kinda upset at myself for listening to this and reading the post announcing this clip now that I’ve had time to think about it. It’s for this very reason that I probably will remove myself from this thread. If this is true I feel like a huge surprise was just spoiled for me.

I am sorta weird about new Carpenters releases in that I want the experience to be special and a time reserved that I can sit back and take it all in on my own time. I hate that of all songs it was this one that spoiled it for me. If this is true I won’t get that new feeling back again...so for that...I’m officially off this thread until I’ve got this in my hands and have fulfilled my Carpenters listening experience of this RPO release.

Wow! Welcome to a new Carpenters release era! Internet, leaks, all part of the excitement! It’s a whole new ballgame for us fans who would wait for the newsletter and then getting the first single on the day it was released....or perhaps hearing it on radio for the first time! I welcome the changes and it’s exciting! Different vocals! Awesome! Bring it on!

Color me skeptical.

I've been waiting for you to chime in and give us your valued opinion. Harry, are you telling us that everything on the Internet is not genuine and true? :) You could very well be right. But you know it fuels our imaginations, and if the recording is a fake, which is what I assume you are talking about, we'll get over it! But I remain hopeful that it is for real.

In a world where we are used to getting whatever we want instantly, this is now most people's norm. However we shouldn't be leaking recordings. It spoils the surprise, among other ethical reasons. I must be the world's "oldest" 41 year old. I still enjoy surprises!

Yup, post #724 sounds like the "real deal." OMG! First, this performance is one of Karen's finest (Dec. 1978) vocal interpretations, just her crystal clear voice, no "O.K. Chorale," no applause, and the symphony orchestra as the ambiance. This is the perfect gift to the fans and the world.........Now I am truly excited!
INTBIL is an incredible song, Karen's reading is intimate yet powerful, but it's one I ususllyk it
Who knows, maybe we'll finally get to hear the outtake vocal leads to "Close To You"
From your lips, to God's ears.

I’m kinda upset at myself for listening to this and reading the post announcing this clip now that I’ve had time to think about it. It’s for this very reason that I probably will remove myself from this thread. If this is true I feel like a huge surprise was just spoiled for me.

Don’t forget there’s absolutely no proof yet it’s even genuine.

I am sorta weird about new Carpenters releases in that I want the experience to be special and a time reserved that I can sit back and take it all in on my own time. I hate that of all songs it was this one that spoiled it for me. If this is true I won’t get that new feeling back again...so for that...I’m officially off this thread until I’ve got this in my hands and have fulfilled my Carpenters listening experience of this RPO release.

Don’t forget there’s absolutely no proof yet it’s even genuine.

Yeah. Don't go!
Carpenters fans need to be here to embrace the joy of an impending new release. Together.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom