Earl Klugh "More And More Amor"

I honestly believe that this is more of Earl's tribute to Wes Montgomery than that to Herb. Coincidentally, the album that Wes recorded, the CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' album had a few of the Brass' tunes on it, not only More,More Amor but also Winds Of Barcelona, Green Peppers, and the standard that Herb previously recorded,South Of The Border. I've always believed that this album was used as a selling point by Creed Taylor to get not only Wes on A&M, but so Creed could get his own label(CTI) on A&M as well.

But back to Earl: I've always viewed(and I hope this doesn't get me into trouble with his fans!) him as a "musak-cian";meaning I'd put him in the same category as guys like Richard Clayderman,Tony Mottola,Peter Nero, Ray Conniff-well, you get the picture. His music is usually lush, awash with strings, and smooth keyboards, and light percussion and occasional vocals, and it's real pretty, but it's music you use to unwind after a hard day, or music that you would hear in the elevator or a doctor's or dentist's office.(and I've HEARD his music in these settings!) I hate to sound like a critic, but to be honest, Earl's music isn't really challenging. It's light, and fluffy and soothing, but ultimately it's predictable. And lest you all think I'm hating on him(like we say here in Brooklyn),I DO like his music! I like it for a lot of reasons I've stated here:calming,soothing, relaxing.

Also, Earl has admitted in interviews that I've read that he considers himself more of a POP musician than a jazz musician! He said in one interview that he knew only about fifty standards(well, I believe that's more than what the average "smooth jazz" musician knows!)and also(now this is what he said) the term "jazz musician" is easily hung on a black musician. So he says that pop musician is a better title for him, because his playing encompasses all types of styles. My favorite Klugh tunes are "Living Inside Your Love","Back In Central Park",his version of "Pretty World", and his version of "The Shadow Of Your Smile".

I believe that the Captain would agree with my assessment of Earl's music(hey,where is the Captain these days? Miss him here on the forum!)

Regards and smiles,
jazzdre

I've always viewed(and I hope this doesn't get me into trouble with his fans!) him as a "musak-cian";meaning I'd put him in the same category as guys like Richard Clayderman,Tony Mottola,Peter Nero, Ray Conniff-well, you get the picture. His music is usually lush, awash with strings, and smooth keyboards, and light percussion and occasional vocals, and it's real pretty, but it's music you use to unwind after a hard day, or music that you would hear in the elevator or a doctor's or dentist's office.(and I've HEARD his music in these settings!) I hate to sound like a critic, but to be honest, Earl's music isn't really challenging. It's light, and fluffy and soothing, but ultimately it's predictable. And lest you all think I'm hating on him(like we say here in Brooklyn),I DO like his music! I like it for a lot of reasons I've stated here:calming,soothing, relaxing.
Regards and smiles,
jazzdre

Just my two cents': I get what you're saying. I really do. But some of Earl's earlier work did get a bit funky on occasion. Still smooth, but with a funky edge. For example: "Magic In Your Eyes", "If You Want to Be My Love", "Low Ride", "Night Drive", "Whiplash", "Tropical Legs", "Incognito", "One Night Alone With You", "What Love Can Do", "Master of Suspense", "Move", "The Wiggle", etc.
But as he's gotten older, it's only natural that he would mellow out even more so. I have at least a dozen of his older CDs, and I still occasionally enjoy them for the reasons you've mentioned. But after Peculiar Situation came out in 99, I just kinda lost interest. I bought Spice of Life in 09 and it just didn't grab me at all. Gave up after that.

So looking back, if I had to pick a favorites list of Earl Klugh, I would recommend the following CDs to anyone interested in exploring some uniquely styled relaxing acoustic guitar music:

Magic In Your Eyes (1978)
Heart String (1979)
One on One (w/ Bob James, 1979)
Two of A Kind (w/ Bob James, 1982)
Wishful Thinking (1984)
Soda Fountain Shuffle (1985)
Life Stories (1986)
Whispers And Promises (1988)
Sudden Burst of Energy (1996)

Just my two cents': I get what you're saying. I really do. But some of Earl's earlier work did get a bit funky on occasion. Still smooth, but with a funky edge. For example: "Magic In Your Eyes", "If You Want to Be My Love", "Low Ride", "Night Drive", "Whiplash", "Tropical Legs", "Incognito", "One Night Alone With You", "What Love Can Do", "Master of Suspense", "Move", "The Wiggle", etc.
But as he's gotten older, it's only natural that he would mellow out even more so. I have at least a dozen of his older CDs, and I still occasionally enjoy them for the reasons you've mentioned. But after Peculiar Situation came out in 99, I just kinda lost interest. I bought Spice of Life in 09 and it just didn't grab me at all. Gave up after that.

So looking back, if I had to pick a favorites list of Earl Klugh, I would recommend the following CDs to anyone interested in exploring some uniquely styled relaxing acoustic guitar music:

Magic In Your Eyes (1978)
Heart String (1979)
One on One (w/ Bob James, 1979)
Two of A Kind (w/ Bob James, 1982)
Wishful Thinking (1984)
Soda Fountain Shuffle (1985)
Life Stories (1986)
Whispers And Promises (1988)
Sudden Burst of Energy (1996)
I have all those CDS and more in fact Everything from his 1976 debut up to a Peculiar Situation from 1999 and His duet recordings with Bob James and George Benson respectively

Earl Klugh's "Late Night Guitar" (late 1980) was the first time I heard of him & when my older brother bought the album!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I have all those CDS and more in fact Everything from his 1976 debut up to a Peculiar Situation from 1999 and His duet recordings with Bob James and George Benson respectively
Did you know? There are actually three duet albums with Bob James: One on One (1979), Two of A Kind (1982) and Cool (1992). The third and final album was recorded while both BJ & EK were both signed to Warner Bros. Records.

Earl Klugh's "Late Night Guitar" (late 1980) was the first time I heard of him & when my older brother bought the album!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI
That's a good album, but it's definitely a mood lp. Probably the most serene of all of his albums. "Nightsongs: More Late Night Guitar" was a decent follow-up too.

The song "Alicia" (from 1978) is quite weird!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI
It may be weird but it is one of my big favorites by Earl Klugh when I first heard it in 1987 on The Magic In Your Eyes album I was hooked and the song stuck with me ever since I also feel the same about the song "Mayaguez" from the same album

According to the All Music Website, the album "Solo Guitar" (from 1989) is their pick of all the Earl Klugh albums. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Got the BGO (Beat Goes On) England import of Klugh's "Soda Fountain Shuffle"/"Life Stories"/"Solo Guitar" (3 albums on 2 CD's)!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Got the BGO (Beat Goes On) England import of Klugh's "Soda Fountain Shuffle"/"Life Stories"/"Solo Guitar" (3 albums on 2 CD's)!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI
I have the original Warner bros CD issues of "Soda Fountain Shuffle" & Life stories sadly I put off getting solo guitar and it went out of print but maybe I'll find it on a download and buy it but for me at least two out of three ain't bad.

Back
Top Bottom