Heard Carpenters

This last Sunday, my wife and I were down in Ventura County for a wedding. While eating lunch at a sandwich shop/pub in the Ventura Harbor Marina, they were playing MOR songs from the 70s and 80s over the sound system. As we were about to leave, I heard the opening of (They Long To Be) Close To You coming on. I told my wife "sit down, let's listen to the song". She didn't give me any grief. We sat, listened, and left. She fully understands my Carpenters obsession.
Ha-ha! Over the many years now, my wife, sons, other family, and friends have been trained to humor me at times and "accommodate" my Carpenters' OCD! At my son's wedding reception last summer, I successfully commissioned the DJ to play and dedicate We've Only Just Begun. I am proud to report that the song never sounded better and more special to me, and it actually filled up the dance floor!

Steve Wright has to be the most annoying DJ on BBC Radio 2. Not only does he talk over the songs, sometimes he will sing along as well?? Luckily on this occasion Steve resisted the temptation to sing along with Karen, but talked all over the intro??? Pleased he played Carpenters, but the best part of Masquerade is the intro!

Steve Wright has to be the most annoying DJ on BBC Radio 2. Not only does he talk over the songs, sometimes he will sing along as well?? Luckily on this occasion Steve resisted the temptation to sing along with Karen, but talked all over the intro??? Pleased he played Carpenters, but the best part of Masquerade is the intro!
I agree totally Chris but this time he did mention the artist to the world(not that most wouldn't know:))as he usually plays a song then moves on to something else and no mention of song or artist.

watched `Ghost Rider` tonight on Sony movie channel, because I haven't seen it for years and there are short plays of 3 tracks, cage mentions Carpenters once and Karen once, which I hadn't remembered.
must be a record in a movie??

The Graham Norton BBC2 radio show played the new RPO yesterday once more this morning(Saturday 3rd November)after the song finished as well as saying nice things about Karen, Graham also said that in a few weeks he will be hosting a NEW show on Carpenters and their music.No idea if it is for radio or tv.

watched `Ghost Rider` tonight on Sony movie channel, because I haven't seen it for years and there are short plays of 3 tracks, cage mentions Carpenters once and Karen once, which I hadn't remembered.
must be a record in a movie??
I still remember the trailers to the 2002 Adam Sandler/Jack Nicholson movie “Anger Management” having Sandler holding “The Singles 1969-1973” (I forget if it was a CD or LP copy) and saying “Carpenters...anger music?” after Nicholson told him to get rid of any music that made him angry. I’ve had the DVD for a few years, but I haven’t watched it yet. I should try to watch it in the New Year—-I’m into Christmas right now.

The Graham Norton BBC2 radio show played the new RPO yesterday once more this morning(Saturday 3rd November)after the song finished as well as saying nice things about Karen, Graham also said that in a few weeks he will be hosting a NEW show on Carpenters and their music.No idea if it is for radio or tv.
Relying on you to inform us of the first DJ to play on the radio Merry Christmas Darling from the new album!

Just heard the CP “Overture” (specifically ‘I Saw Three Ships’) on CTV Ottawa’s 5:30 news. The reporter was asking if it was too early to put up Christmas decorations, and he was in an older lady’s house that is already decorated. It looked like it might’ve been the LP, but I’m not sure as the stereo was kind of blocked by the reporter, and it sound like he might’ve rubbed his microphone on his suit jacket, so I wasn’t sure if I was hearing some pops from vinyl or his microphone.

For those of you with SiriusXM, they have a channel for 70s/80s Christmas hits-- channel 780. I just heard the 1970 version of Merry Christmas Darling there! :D

I used to hear Close to You all the time when I worked at Walmart. The first time it came on, it was in the middle of a shift meeting and I made my supervisor stop talking so I could hear it. She was not too happy about that, but oh well.:b-boogie:

This one was a suprise. There was a feature on Sky News (UK) which was a young kids report kind of thing... And what was played in the background briefly?... The Carpenters version of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do". I thought it was 1. random and 2. Why that song? I've never heard their version on anything!

This one was a suprise. There was a feature on Sky News (UK) which was a young kids report kind of thing... And what was played in the background briefly?... The Carpenters version of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do". I thought it was 1. random and 2. Why that song? I've never heard their version on anything!

Random and a little bit bizarre!

Did`nt see the point of opening a thread for this, but have you guys seen this on YouTube, because until I saw this, I`d never even heard of 8D, so how long as this been around?

well, that was interesting :laugh:
after posting that video above, I tried listening to it through headphones, which is apparently recommended and apart from listening to Sid Vicious, that`s about the most painful thing I`ve ever listened to ......... what a pointless process!!
what would it sound like through 8.1 surround sound? well, given there isn't one, I guess we`ll never know :)

Back
Top Bottom