MUSIC & VIDEO

CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

Hi guys.

as I do most nights, for a couple of hours before bed, I was sat listening/watching my Carpenters stuff and some other artists I like. it got me thinking whilst I was listening, to how important it is, or not, for listeners to see a video to go along with the music.
One of the things I like to do in my spare time, is try and put a nice video to a lot of the Carpenters music I listen to. it`s just something I enjoy doing, but what`s enjoyable to me, is listening to the music, but at the same time having something that the given track can be associated with, it gives more `feeling` to the music and in all honesty, I probably enjoy the music more this way, than just sticking a cd on.
so far, I`ve done around 150 of these videos and whilst some may not have come across them, no doubt most might have seen these on YouTube, along with the one`s below.
A lot of the video`s depend on the song, so if there`s something that comes to me that I think would suit the track, I come up with something, but for some, it`s hard to come up with something suitable, so I keep it simple with at least something `visually` pleasing (hopefully).

I actually ended up putting 2hrs of my favorites together on an SD card which I can play on the t.v and pretty much most nights, sit and relax listening/watching these. I find it really relaxing watching these and still enjoy each time I do, but it`s the video`s that make it more enjoyable for me personally, so that`s my question to you guys, how much difference does it make to you, or are you happy with a cd, regardless of who it is your listening to?

obviously, I have to include a couple of examples to see what you guys think about them, so I would appreciate any comments :)

the first one I`m using, is `All of my life`. I came across this video and as soon as I watched it and I don`t know why, I thought of the perfect track for it. I put the video together and after a few bits of `tweaking` here and there, I played it and couldn't believe how happy I was with it, but was so convinced that I couldn't have found a better video, it seemed perfect, even the timing seemed spot on with the dance moves the dancer was doing, so this is the one I was most pleased with, so what do you guys think?

The next one I have, is `Sometimes`.
rather a sad song really that does get to you, but with the video as well, it still brings a tear to my eye most times when I watch, which was my point about not only the audio side of it, but visually as well. on this one, given Karen was a fan of Disney, I used animated video clips for this.

The third one I`ve picked, was actually the hardest to do, which is `NOW`.
For this one, the biggest issue I had was getting the sync right between the track and the video, because for all these videos, I use the high quality audio from either the SHMCD or the HD cds.
the biggest issue I had, was the fact that a few minutes into the video, which is from The Karen Carpenter Story, Cynthia Gibb who played Karen is seen singing the song in the recording booth, but the problem I had, it was a close-up shot, so the sync with the music had to be right, which took me a while to get right! Bare in mind, this is something I`ve learned to do as I`ve gone along, I have no experience at all doing this kind of thing at all :)

so there you have it ........... thoughts?

Not to put a damper on your enjoyment, but my answer would be no. When I listen to music, I "listen". The nuances of the music, the melody, the chords, the progressions, are enough to propel me to any imaginary images that my mind wants to create.

But that's me and we're all different.

Your videos are terrific. Personally though I'm like Harry in that regard. I like to let the music create its own imagery in my mind. When I'm in a video mood I like to watch picture slideshows while listening. It's like browsing through a photo gallery but more hands free.

I admire your expertise, creativity, and passion! Your video/music editing skills are evident and inspired. I don't have that same expertise. The closest I can come is my affinity for putting together CD compilations, not only for Carpenters, but also for other artists, genres, key terms, time periods, etc. In fact, it's rare that I listen a Carpenters' CD from start to finish. I am more comfortable making my own editing choices via song lineup, sometimes my all-time favorites, my favorite album cuts, up-tempo songs, for Carpenters.

But to answer your question specifically, I personally don't need a video to enhance, or link to, the listening experience. With the advent of MTV, a generation was programmed to do just that. Certain songs clearly evoke a connection to the video for me to this day. And that is fine, but I don't have such a connection for Carpenters' songs, in part because they largely predated MTV, notwithstanding their promotional music videos (e.g., Disneyland) or intended music videos (e.g., Beechwood).

In my opinion, it is similar to reading a book. In your mind, your own imagination creates any imagery. But then sometimes a movie comes out and other imagery is thus created. Bottom line: whatever pursuit enhances the listening experience is valid!

Last edited:
While the entire YouTube experience with copied music seems to be a violation of sorts to me, I have just one comment. That regards copyright and the use of caution. When the time of the message changes and something other than what was originally intended is produced with pieces of copyright material alerts may follow. Infigrement is costly, so my advise is to use caution. Even the use of the Carpenters logo has copyrighted restrictions and with the new material that Universal is pushing, your material may not be welcome. Not everyone has the heart that we do, and then again, it’s not our material.

While the entire YouTube experience with copied music seems to be a violation of sorts to me, I have just one comment. That regards copyright and the use of caution. When the time of the message changes and something other than what was originally intended is produced with pieces of copyright material alerts may follow. Infigrement is costly, so my advise is to use caution. Even the use of the Carpenters logo has copyrighted restrictions and with the new material that Universal is pushing, your material may not be welcome. Not everyone has the heart that we do, and then again, it’s not our material.

if all the videos on YouTube were removed due to copyright issues, about 95% of them would be gone!

if all the videos on YouTube were removed due to copyright issues, about 95% of them would be gone!
So are people making money illegally? My point is to protect you. One never knows who will be made the example in today’s world. The fines are out of this world!

So are people making money illegally? My point is to protect you. One never knows who will be made the example in today’s world. The fines are out of this world!

not at all and as I said, I don`t do it for that and wouldn't dream of it!
any video uploaded that has copyright content within it, cannot be paid and it goes to whoever does own the copyright to either the video, soundtrack or both.
don`t get me wrong, your right about the issue, but I`ve seen most of the Carpenters stuff on that site and if they removed everyone for it, which they could, about 95% of those videos would be gone.
I do it purely for pleasure and the love of these guys, no other reason, rightly or wrongly.
just as an extra point, people have to get millions of views on youtube to make money, so it`s not that easy :)

Last edited:
I admire your expertise, creativity, and passion! Your video/music editing skills are evident and inspired. I don't have that same expertise.

Your very kind James, but I`m no expert :) it`s actually pretty simple once you`ve done a few, the biggest problem is the expense of the software, which varies according to what you want to do.
I take peoples points about music being the only feeling you should need and I actually agree, but sometimes, as an alternative, it`s just nice to sit and listen to something that has `association`, i.e in this case, video. listen, it`s personal preference, I just wondered what you guys views were, I didn't expect everyone to agree with me :)

anyway, just another couple.
this one took the longest, because I wanted to try and put the `pace` of the video, In time with the music. it isn't perfect, especially at the beginning, but it`s the best I can do without spending days on the stuff;

and my favourite Carpenters track, `TWO SIDES`.
Kept simple as I was talking about earlier, so I went through a few hours of time lapse on flowers opening and used my favourite bits;

Back
Top Bottom