⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
I’ve come to like the piccolo trumpet on “Goodbye to Love”. In fact, it’s inclusion has made me see the song differently. Before, I thought of it as a sad song, one that comes from a place of despair, of never finding love. Now I hear it more as a song about someone accepting their current reality, sad though it may be, and deciding to move forward in their life while still leaving the door open for what the future might hold. In that light, the piccolo trumpet seems to represent a declaration of acceptance, a sense of resolve coming from a place of strength. And perhaps it’s ultimately a song of hope because it often happens that when you reach that place of acceptance you become most open to finding love. When you hear the song that way the piccolo trumpet fits beautifully.

You're probably right....if the trumpet had been there all along, we'd all be marveling at how much clearer and more upfront it sounds on the remake. It's all in what you get used to I guess.

I never liked the small electric guitar fills that were introduced into the remixed versions of "Yesterday Once More," but I'm so used to hearing them now that when I hear the original version, I find myself mentally filling-in the guitar parts that I don't like!

I’m having a problem that may have already been discussed earlier regarding the digital downloads that came from the Carpenters store (Universal). The problem is with how it's being categorized. It wants to create a separate the name of the artist as Carpenters, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (all of that together). The way I have all my Carpenters albums all are filed under "The Carpenters" folder.

When I ripped the Japan CD and the Target CD, I changed the artist name to "The Carpenters" so that it would go to my main folder which works...so those CD's work fine. However the digital downloads keeps wanting to separate it to read "Carpenters, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"
I can't figure it out...maybe it's in the metadata file and can't be removed because of it being digital?

You're probably right....if the trumpet had been there all along, we'd all be marveling at how much clearer and more upfront it sounds on the remake. It's all in what you get used to I guess.

I never liked the small electric guitar fills that were introduced into the remixed versions of "Yesterday Once More," but I'm so used to hearing them now that when I hear the original version, I find myself mentally filling-in the guitar parts that I don't like!

I know exactly what you mean Mike!!
I do the same with the non guitar version of ' I wont last a day without you ', also the emphasised drums in the mon remixed version of bless the beasts and the children.......

I’m having a problem that may have already been discussed earlier regarding the digital downloads that came from the Carpenters store (Universal). The problem is with how it's being categorized. It wants to create a separate the name of the artist as Carpenters, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (all of that together). The way I have all my Carpenters albums all are filed under "The Carpenters" folder.

When I ripped the Japan CD and the Target CD, I changed the artist name to "The Carpenters" so that it would go to my main folder which works...so those CD's work fine. However the digital downloads keeps wanting to separate it to read "Carpenters, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"
I can't figure it out...maybe it's in the metadata file and can't be removed because of it being digital?

In Windows, the Target CD showed up with all Japanese titles, and after I changed it to English, the Japanese CD showed up as the Target CD!

For my digital rips, I use Windows Media Player and all Carpenters stuff goes under "Carpenters". The exceptions are non-official stuff that I shove into "The Carpenters." Makes sense to me as "The" is sort-of unofficial.

All of the new albums wanted to go into a "Carpenters; Royal Philharmonic Orchestra" section, but I nuked the orchestra in the Album Artist field and just put it under Carpenters.

I don’t know why I’m using “The” but it’s been like that for so many years that it would take me forever to change it now with all the CDs I have.

Here's another factoid about the RPO releases thus far:

The US CDs - regular and Target - contain CD-Text. The Japanese release does not.

So I’m back to listening to the new album after the holidays and today I noticed something really cool on the song MCD at about 41-43 seconds into the song you hear an orchestral movement. It’s so short but the way Richard incorporated just those few bars of strings the way it goes up and then back down adds a really special touch to this song. Sometimes if you just listening to the vocals you miss out on the extra movements from the orchestra.

It's nice to see Richard on TV shows in Japan and BBC radio documentary too.
Really good stuff, and allows him the chance to explain the project a bit.
I'm curious if he'll do some American shows around the 50th celebration.

I didn't think removing ambient noise would make Karen "The Voice" Carpenter come out that much clearer.
Good thing modern technology can do that for these songs.

Now I'm waiting for Carpenters with the RPO part 2. :uhhuh:
It'd be quite another undertaking and dig deeper into the catalogue, but it could be done.
If it's in the works I'm already thinking of the contenders.
Time will tell...

Maybe it's you
Let me be the one
One love
It's going to take some time
Bless the beast and the children
A song for you
I won't last a day without you
Sing
Jambalaya (on the bayou)
Only yesterday
Solitaire
There's a kind of hush
All you get from love is a love song
Calling Occupants
Those good old dreams
When I fall in love
You're the one
Now
Look to your dreams
Your baby doesn't love you anymore
Make believe it's your first time
The uninvited guest (?)
Bonus track: Sweet, Sweet Smile

I guess I don’t understand what is the modern technology that enabled Richard to remove background noise that he couldn’t do before? Also how does this removal of background noise allow Karen’s vocal to be more prominent in these mixes? I’m trying to understand how this project is any different than something Richard worked on prior to this release except for the obvious orchestra involvement.

Is all this an indication that he will no longer use reverb to mask Karen’s vocals on any future project? If there is any further projects.

Also how does this removal of background noise allow Karen’s vocal to be more prominent in these mixes?

My guess is, with the background noise removed, he was able to "turn up the volume," so to speak, on Karen for the new mixes. If he had done that with the original recordings, the background noise might have been too prominent in the mix.

As to "how" they removed the background noise....I'm sure it's just the latest and greatest computer software.

Here is one that looks fascinating....
www.izotope.com/en/products/repair-and-edit/rx.html

"Get full control over your audio, whether it’s isolating vocals, rebalancing mix elements, or changing the inflection of spoken dialogue."
Including....
"Spectral Repair and Instant Process, allowing you to surgically remove noise issues that can ruin an otherwise flawless performance. Instantly paint away recording issues like air conditioners, fret noise, outdoor traffic, cell phones, and mic bumps in a matter of seconds."

I guess I don’t understand what is the modern technology that enabled Richard to remove background noise that he couldn’t do before? Also how does this removal of background noise allow Karen’s vocal to be more prominent in these mixes? I’m trying to understand how this project is any different than something Richard worked on prior to this release except for the obvious orchestra involvement.

Is all this an indication that he will no longer use reverb to mask Karen’s vocals on any future project? If there is any further projects.
It’s all software. Just look at the Elvis sets where his 50’s stuff, where his original vocal was locked into the mono master, but with software they are able to extract just his voice, and none of the instruments so that they can have him duet with Leann Rimes on “Here Comes Santa Claus”.

Wanna hear the air conditioner at A&M? Put on "Yesterday Once More" from the original NOW & THEN album (use the CD, as turntables can have surface noise and rumble).

Now, make sure you've got good bass-producing headphones and listen to the beginning of the song. From about 20 seconds in (the word "smile"), you can hear a rumbling noise for about 10 seconds before the rest of the song's instrumentation buries the noise.

In those old days, about all he could do was to lower the bass to minimize the rumble, but then Karen's vocal lost its bass component. With today's technology, a notch filter can remove the exact rumbling frequency necessary.

I have been using "iZotope RX" software to remove noises in my personal recordings.
This software brings amazing results that you could not do in the analogue-process before.

The noise-reduction in digital-process is a totally different thing than a "filtering" in analogue-process.
To understand this, first you have to learn about the difference between "digital" and "analogue" in recording sound.

Of course, The digital noise-reduction is not almighty.
So, Richard might had to replace all the part (for example, piano part) in some cases.

I listened to this on my way home from work on Friday and I said the exact same thing. I said to myself this version should be the standard version it really supersedes the original. I could hear this version on a single 45 rpm.

I have been listening in the car pretty much every time I drive. I agree that Superstar is pretty amazing.
I can’t wait for the vinyl and listening with headphones. I’m sure I’ll hear even more things.

Jonathan

Would I be greedy asking if we could get RC to work the same magic on all the Christmas sessions? I really wanted them in sacd but this might be even better. What a masterpiece he could recreate and really celebrate

I sat down tonight and listened to this album again, for I think the fourth time and I tell you what guys, that guitar has certainly knocked `SuperStar` out of the park, what a track that is :)
With headphones I find the "phasy" effect too distracting, but through my sound system I don't notice it at all. Could it be a fault with the downloaded file I listen to on my headphones that isn't present on the cd which I play on my soundsystem.

I also find the switch between vocal takes on goodbye to love distracting, it changes key on 'day love is FORGOTTEN' , whether its limited tracks available at the time etc, it started appearing on the remix in 85 and sometimes comes in earlier. Then it switches back to alternate vocal take after first guitar solo.
Superstar is amazing but i noticed on the 2002? mix used in 40/40, Karen's vocals are slightly buried in the chorus's, it's not like that on singles 69-73 - im being really picky but i notice all these little things ( although never noticed the air con in YOM until i did it with headphones , I will listen for it every time now!! :cry: )

I also find the switch between vocal takes on goodbye to love distracting, it changes key on 'day love is FORGOTTEN' , whether its limited tracks available at the time etc, it started appearing on the remix in 85 and sometimes comes in earlier. Then it switches back to alternate vocal take after first guitar solo.
Superstar is amazing but i noticed on the 2002? mix used in 40/40, Karen's vocals are slightly buried in the chorus's, it's not like that on singles 69-73 - im being really picky but i notice all these little things ( although never noticed the air con in YOM until i did it with headphones , I will listen for it every time now!! :cry: )

There is no key change when Karen sings "....day love is forgotten.." The key change comes later when she sings "There may come a time when I will see that I've been wrong.." Not sure what you are hearing.

Back
Top Bottom