"Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography": New Book by Randy Schmidt

paul.ashurst

Randy Schmidt has compiled a new book which will be released this spring - Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography. It will be launched at a special event at the 50th Anniversary Convention on Saturday 27th April where he will be conducting a Q&A and signing copies.

COMING SOON!

Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography is an essential album-by-album retrospective of the legendary duo’s recordings.

With more than 100 million records sold worldwide, the Carpenters are among the most beloved and enduring musical acts of the past 50 years. Randy L. Schmidt, author of the acclaimed bestselling biography Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter has assembled a team of commentators—journalists, authors, musicians, and other entertainment industry figures—for a series of in-depth, insightful, and opinionated conversations on every release. Beautifully presented with more than 200 images, many never before seen, the result is a must-have for pop music lovers.

Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography

Awesome News!! I was planning to buy a copy of "Little Girl Blue" from Randy at the event - I want an autographed copy; but I will make sure to "budget" for this one as well. 2019 is shaping up to be a memorable year for Carpenters fans!

Exciting news. Also of note: Karen Tongson's "Why Karen Carpenter Matters," a memoir being released in June; and "Why Do Birds," a novel by NY Times writer and noted Carpenter-phile Rob Hoerburger whose central character is an unnamed female singer of the '70s trying to find her way out of the wilderness in the early '80s, being published in March.

The cover of Randy’s new book is one of my favorites!!!’

It’s great, isn’t it? :) I’m really looking forward to this release.

Exciting news. Also of note: Karen Tongson's "Why Karen Carpenter Matters," a memoir being released in June; and "Why Do Birds," a novel by NY Times writer and noted Carpenter-phile Rob Hoerburger whose central character is an unnamed female singer of the '70s trying to find her way out of the wilderness in the early '80s, being published in March.

Thanks for the info. I was told about Karen Tongson’s book on FB and it sounds really interesting. First I’ve heard about the noval though. Exciting times! :wiggle:

The book isn't "authorized" by Richard or Universal, so it's likely that Randy's publisher couldn't get permission to use the logo.

I would bet money that is correct.

I think the one that was chosen is great as an alternative. It has a definite "70s" look and feel to it.

I think the one that was chosen is great as an alternative. It has a definite "70s" look and feel to it.

Wasn't there a Carpenters sheet music book or (Japanese?) import LP back in the day that used a very similar font?

Looking forward to this, but I hope there`s an audio-book of it, as I`m not a big reader. I have `little girl blue` audio-book on disc, but because it`s 11 hours long, I spent ages splitting it up into a couple of chapters at a time (around an hour or so per listen). I really enjoyed that and learned a lot from it, so I hope they do the same with this. it won`t stop me buying it though, so that I have it!

This is great news. I’m thrilled that I’ll be there at the book launch and will be buying a copy!

Randy has been working on this for a long time. I've been chatting (and probably pestering him - sorry Randy! :laugh:) for that time, and sent him scans of some of the rarer photos in my collection (I hope some made it in!) He's had so many beautiful photos to chose from - too many I think. It's very well organised from the way he described it to me and it has over 200 pictures. He's had access to some incredible archives and you'll be dazzled when you see the quality of the previously unseen ones. I really really can't wait to be able to get my hands on it - finally ! You HAVE to get this !

The 1997 Anthology CD set from Japan had this as the cover.
I was speaking of the FONT, not the FOTO! LOL. I've since found the image online I was thinking of. It was a music book called, "Songs From The Television Series". It's a similar font to Randy's new book.

Last edited:

You're absolutely right. And we made no effort to seek permission to use the official logo since Richard never allows it to be used in branding anything outside of his own projects. So the designer came up with something completely different and new . . . and we liked it! If it looks like anything else, it's purely coincidental!

I appreciate all the interest here. There were 33 wonderful commentators who participated in 18 album discussion, which make up the text of the book. It also features more than 200 images (many never before in print and some from deep in the vaults of various photographers).

It will be available in the US, UK, Canada, and elsewhere via Amazon. We will also be launching a pre-order site on Monday and offering free shipping to the US and UK on those advance orders. I will try to post the info here after that goes "live." We should have a definite release date very soon, but it's looking like sometime around May 1.

Randy Schmidt

Back
Top Bottom