Lurkers no more...

I remember all those sites. I was amazed by Barry Bilicki’s site, which featured dozens and dozens of pages of photos I had never seen before. Back in the late 90s, when the internet was only just becoming mainstream, this was a revelation to me. I was in awe of all the pictures that were new to me, from every stage in their career.

From there I ended up being a regular poster on Leadsister as well as this site and was sad when Pamela sold the Leadsister site on. I never went back but had lots of online friends there including Annie, Chris Tassin, Pimmitje, Karly and Bruce (who went on to get married after initially meeting online) and Linda - who introduced them, and who I understand is attending the 50th anniversary event next year.
I remember Karly and Bruce are they still married? I remember Annie and Linda and of course Chris too.

This is so cool that so many people have posted to this thread too.

Was Rick Henry the one who ran the Lead Sister forum from (at least) the earlier 00's? I believe it's still standing in some form.

Was Rick Henry the one who ran the Lead Sister forum from (at least) the earlier 00's? I believe it's still standing in some form.

Yes Rick Henry took it over when Pamela sold the domain. It is still there but in a different form. It’s been years since I stopped by to take a look.

Yes Rick Henry took it over when Pamela sold the domain. It is still there but in a different form. It’s been years since I stopped by to take a look.

I don't think it's really been used for a while, with this and Facebook and such taking over. A lot of people later on on Facebook had issues with him personally (he once called me an idiot privately and it was basically that we didn't share the same opinion and because he was supposedly a musical expert and I was just a fan), and he seemed like an odd choice to run any page given that he literally said he was only a fan of about 50% of their output and came at you with a dagger if you dared to criticize Karen's solo album.

A lot of people later on on Facebook had issues with him personally (he once called me an idiot privately and it was basically that we didn't share the same opinion and because he was supposedly a musical expert and I was just a fan), and he seemed like an odd choice to run any page given that he literally said he was only a fan of about 50% of their output and came at you with a dagger if you dared to criticize Karen's solo album.

Oh dear, I didn’t know all that. The site was great back in its heyday, a real community and one which spawned a few real life friendships. I remember one girl I met and spent the day with called Rachel and she later went on to travel to America for a visit with Annie.

I’m looking forward to meeting everyone at the convention next April and hopefully it will create some new and lasting friendships for those who attend.

Oh dear, I didn’t know all that. The site was great back in its heyday, a real community and one which spawned a few real life friendships. I remember one girl I met and spent the day with called Rachel and she later went on to travel to America for a visit with Annie.

I’m looking forward to meeting everyone at the convention next April and hopefully it will create some new and lasting friendships for those who attend.

I only really "know" this board as I'm in my mid-20s and was never part of those past boards. I might recognize some of those people on Facebook but not by first name. It's amazing that people have been regular posters on here for sixteen years now, that's crazy. For any other artist or fan page I've never seen only active so long and with a lot of the original people. It has to become a part of your life.

I've mentioned this on another thread but will be happy to tell it again, LOL.

I first heard Carpenters on the radio. Like Love Me For What I Am and that was when I was in high school. Around 2009 or 2010.

I searched LMFWIA on Apple Music early this year. Saw the Carpenters discography and downloaded all of their albums and songs. Got hooked instantly and became a fan. I'm only 23 years old and I regret not living at the same era where Karen was still alive. Would love to see her perform live.

I got curious with the songs, and what's behind the song. So I went to wikipedia to read the background of each album. But when I was searching online for other resources, I saw the Recording Resource and I was so happy when I found this since it helped alot for me to know what is the difference of each albums and song and the forum is also helpful and enjoyable to read as well. I was a silent reader for months till recently because of the hype for the new Carpenters album that I decided to create an account and comment .

It's amazing that people have been regular posters on here for sixteen years now, that's crazy. For any other artist or fan page I've never seen only active so long and with a lot of the original people. It has to become a part of your life.

That's for sure... this is one of just a handful of sites that I check into pretty much every day, no matter where I am in the world. I think it was probably the first one that I "created an account" with.

I don't think it's really been used for a while, with this and Facebook and such taking over. A lot of people later on on Facebook had issues with him personally (he once called me an idiot privately and it was basically that we didn't share the same opinion and because he was supposedly a musical expert and I was just a fan), and he seemed like an odd choice to run any page given that he literally said he was only a fan of about 50% of their output and came at you with a dagger if you dared to criticize Karen's solo album.
I'll keep my opinion on this guy to myself, as the old saying goes, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it" but I will go so far as to say that I considered joining the leadsister forum years ago when it was still hopping, but seeing some of his responses and comments, and the way he ran it, discouraged me from signing up and posting. The person I was back then would have engaged in a public flame war with him and it's just not a good look. I also avoided his group when I was on Facebook even though I was a member of several others.

So today I've been a lurker! Reading some interesting posts, past and current. Feeling exhausted and bloated from the holiday, not much else to do... :)

But at this time, I want to say that I do appreciate those who have thus far added their thoughts and experiences to this particular thread, and I welcome anyone else who may wish to weigh in on this topic. As I mentioned in another recent thread, it is sometimes difficult to discern tone and content from certain comments. In the avatar thread as well as others, we are learning more about each other, and I personally think that's a good thing. Without getting too sappy (although, frankly, I apologize if I have gone overboard or if my own intent has been unclear on occasion), I am thankful for what we have going on here!

Last edited:
I'm going to be going back to the status of a "lurker." Thanks for the hospitality, and an interesting experience.
BTW, the RPO album is really awesome! That is my good-bye and my official review. :)

Thanks for the hospitality, and an interesting experience.
BTW, the RPO album is really awesome!

To clarify, it is for these lines that I have given a "like," not for your decision to return to lurker status. Sure, just with any community, we have seen people come and go, sometimes after a flurry of postings. I think it's safe to say that you have been a most welcome addition to the community, John. I have certainly enjoyed reading your posts and our interaction here. I hate that we're losing one of our regular "Name That Tune" participants. But remember you can return to posting comments at any time...

I realize that @John Adam might not see these comments, but I have always taken the position that we as a community should be welcoming to, and supportive of, each other. As we know, there are many friendly, enjoyable, thoughtful posters in this Corner of the world. In the spirit of the holiday season, and in the aftermath of a new Carpenters' release, I wish to offer my sincere thanks. To the regular contributers, to the occasional posters, and to the lurkers: Cheers to all!

Last edited:
You're not alone. I and many others had the same experience. Some pretty notable (and reasonable) posters were actually banned from his Facebook page. I got tired of all the drama and left.

This group is completely different. I feel that even with contentious issues, we can discuss these things with respect toward one another. It's a great place for a Carpenters fan!

others had the same experience. Some pretty notable (and reasonable) posters were actually banned from his Facebook page. I got tired of all the drama and left.

It's been a few years since I was on that page and I did enjoy it mostly with the little games we played like everyone individually rating five different aspects of a song, or playing a song elimination game over the span of two months or so. It wasn't all bad originally but it could be that I wasn't saying anything that really got under his skin at first. Hell, I was even interviewed by him for something and he even talked about quoting me in that eBook of his (which I have yet to read). It's just sad that he alienated people who found a fun place to discuss.

To clarify, it is for these lines that I have given a "like," not for your decision to return to lurker status. Sure, just with any community, we have seen people come and go, sometimes after a flurry of postings. I think it's safe to say that you have been a most welcome addition to the community, John. I have certainly enjoyed reading your posts and our interaction here. I hate that we're losing one of our regular "Name That Tune" participants. But remember you can return to posting comments at any time...

I realize that @John Adam might not see these comments, but I have always taken the position that we as a community should be welcoming to, and supportive of, each other. As we know, there are many friendly, enjoyable, thoughtful posters in this Corner of the world. In the spirit of the holiday season, and in the aftermath of a new Carpenters' release, I wish to offer my sincere thanks. To the regular contributers, to the occasional posters, and to the lurkers: Cheers to all!

I have signed in one last time, because of this post. First "Thank You." Everyone needs to acknowledge the goodness and kind of heart in many of it's regulars, like this guy, @Jamesj75 . Deciding not to post anymore has nothing to with anyone involved here. But I will "lurk" occasionally because of the wealth of greatness this forum provides for a "Carpenters" appreciator. But I feel this will be my last post.

Sorry for interrupting the thread and I hope I didn't damage the spirit. Happy holidays and the best new year to everyone who makes this place tick! Continue the Carpenter's legacy, discuss and enjoy! Thank you.

Please continue to tell others why you became a forum member and are no longer a lurker? Back to you James. :)

An "out-of-the-closet" story...

Over the years, posters here have detailed their individual stories on how they became Carpenters' fans. In a similar vein, I will do that here: I knew at a very young age that I was a Carpenters fan --- as far back as I can remember. I knew that the music made me feel good, so what could be wrong with that? Karen's voice was so soothing, unusual, angelic, and beautiful that I was instantly drawn to it. I would play Carpenters' albums and singles repeatedly.

For awhile I kept my secret to myself because there were so many others different from me. They might not like, understand, or even tolerate my fandom. And for those different from me, I might ask them: when did you realize you were a Led Zeppelin, or Marvin Gaye, fan? Maybe the process was similar to what I experienced... After a time, my family learned the truth, and then other friends became aware of this proclivity. Finally, it got to the point where I didn't care who knew the truth. I played Carpenters' records, then tapes, then CDs, then MP3 files loud and proud! Any visitor to my home could see Carpenters' albums/CDs and posters on display. I even put a Carpenters'-themed mantra (a variation of A Song for You) as my car's license plate. My enjoyment and fandom of Carpenters have remained a life-long part of my lifestyle.

A couple of years ago, I bought online this cool T-shirt: grey with a "Carpenters" logo and "GOLD" below (all text in gold). For whatever reason, it stayed in my closet all this time. Then today I made a visit to one of the Disney parks; I consciously chose to finally wear this T-shirt. So there I was in a sea of hundreds, maybe thousands, of people, proudly wearing my T-shirt, excitedly broadcasting who I am! And then it happened... In an unexpected moment of satisfaction, 2 younger (20-something) men walked past me, and one yelled out to me, "Great shirt!" Later that evening, I went to my regular grocery store, and one of the cashiers (also a 20-something man) told me he liked my shirt. I felt like I belonged...or at least that I was accepted and acknowledged for who I am. And that is a nice feeling, practically "top of the world" strata.

So, how does this post pertain to the "Lurker" thread? Well, my Carpenters' T-shirt had been lurking in my closet for about 2 years. And as of today, it is "out" and will remain as such...

An "out-of-the-closet" story...

Over the years, posters here have detailed their individual stories on how they became Carpenters' fans. In a similar vein, I will do that here: I knew at a very young age that I was a Carpenters fan --- as far back as I can remember. I knew that the music made me feel good, so what could be wrong with that? Karen's voice was so soothing, unusual, angelic, and beautiful that I was instantly drawn to it. I would play Carpenters' albums and singles repeatedly.

For awhile I kept my secret to myself because there were so many others different from me. They might not like, understand, or even tolerate my fandom. And for those different from me, I might ask them: when did you realize you were a Led Zeppelin, or Marvin Gaye, fan? Maybe the process was similar to what I experienced... After a time, my family learned the truth, and then other friends became aware of this proclivity. Finally, it got to the point where I didn't care who knew the truth. I played Carpenters' records, then tapes, then CDs, then MP3 files loud and proud! Any visitor to my home could see Carpenters' albums/CDs and posters on display. I even put a Carpenters'-themed mantra (a variation of A Song for You) as my car's license plate. My enjoyment and fandom of Carpenters have remained a life-long part of my lifestyle.

A couple of years ago, I bought online this cool T-shirt: grey with a "Carpenters" logo and "GOLD" below (all text in gold). For whatever reason, it stayed in my closet all this time. Then today I made a visit to one of the Disney parks; I consciously chose to finally wear this T-shirt. So there I was in a sea of hundreds, maybe thousands, of people, proudly wearing my T-shirt, excitedly broadcasting who I am! And then it happened... In an unexpected moment of satisfaction, 2 younger (20-something) men walked past me, and one yelled out to me, "Great shirt!" Later that evening, I went to my regular grocery store, and one of the cashiers (also a 20-something man) told me he liked my shirt. I felt like I belonged...or at least that I was accepted and acknowledged for who I am. And that is a nice feeling, practically "top of the world" strata.

So, how does this post pertain to the "Lurker" thread? Well, my Carpenters' T-shirt had been lurking in my closet for about 2 years. And as of today, it is "out" and will remain as such...
Best post ever....James!!
I loved that...thanks for sharing...that just brightened the end of my day :)

The twenty-somethings for as much ridicule as they get from us "old folks" are really a very open-minded bunch of people. I've never had a Carpenters T-shirt but I'd wear it proudly along side any other artists that I like. They always say what goes around comes around, and it's so great that there are a few younger members that post here on A&M forum. Good music is universal, that's why the Carpenters are acknowledged by a generation who only know of her because of all the people (like us) that grew up with their music.

The twenty-somethings for as much ridicule as they get from us "old folks" are really a very open-minded bunch of people. I've never had a Carpenters T-shirt but I'd wear it proudly along side any other artists that I like. They always say what goes around comes around, and it's so great that there are a few younger members that post here on A&M forum. Good music is universal, that's why the Carpenters are acknowledged by a generation who only know of her because of all the people (like us) that grew up with their music.

Extremely well said, John Adam! I often assume that most people younger than 30 don't even know of the Carpenters. So the young age of these kind souls was part of my unexpected, pleasant surprise. You're right about this younger generation. And I've always found open-mindedness a worthwhile perspective. You're also right by stating, "Good music is universal."

Back
Top Bottom