Heard Carpenters

The Only Yesterday documentary is by far the best one I have seen about the duo. The interviews are great; especially Linda Perry in her description of Karen's voice and Tony Peluso when he gets emotional at the end when talking about Karen. I know they occasionally show it on PBS here in the US, but not very often. Yes, there is something very special when anything Carpenters is on live TV and the prospect that perhaps a million or more people are tuned in.

Here are the smooth radio results (21 Jan 2019):
"Smooth Icons 2019: George Michael is named the greatest artist of all time"
"You've voted in your thousands, but who is your favourite artist of all time?
George Michael was named the greatest artist of all time in the Smooth Icons poll today (January 21),
taking in a huge 36% of the total vote, and 20% more than his nearest rival.
The Carpenters were the surprise runner-up, followed by Elvis Presley in third place.
The top five was rounded out by Whitney Houston and ABBA.
The result follows George Michael's victory in the 2016 All-Time Top 500,
while the Carpenters topped our recent Best Christmas Song poll.
Also in the top ten were Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Bee Gees and Lionel Richie.
The likes of Sir Elton John, Adele, Take That and Stevie Wonder had to settle for top 20 positions."

Here:
www.smoothradio.com/news/music/smooth-icons-2019-listen-live/

George Michael was named the greatest artist of all time in the Smooth Icons poll today (January 21),
The Carpenters were the surprise runner-up, followed by Elvis Presley in third place.
Also in the top ten were Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Bee Gees and Lionel Richie.
The likes of Sir Elton John, Adele, Take That and Stevie Wonder had to settle for top 20 positions."

Here:

Carpenters were the 3 in 10 today on Ken Bruce’s PopMaster quiz on BBC Radio 2. Basically, the contestant has to name 3 of the band’s chart hits in 10 seconds. Unfortunately, the guy couldn’t do it.

Here:

Just shows the enduring popularity of the duo in the UK. Great fans over there!

Back in the Spring of 1988, former The Big 6, 600 WTAC in Flint, Michigan played "Vehicle" by The Ides Of March for the workers in "vehicle city". Then played The Carpenters "For All We Know"!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Just sat down to watch Goodbye to Love on U.K. 5 Select filling on if The Carpenters their greatest hits.

Just sat down to watch Goodbye to Love on U.K. 5 Select filling on if The Carpenters their greatest hits.

I meant to mention, I caught that hour-long greatest hits programme which followed the repeat of Goodbye To Love and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was peppered with interesting on-screen facts throughout each track about their personal lives and careers but then, right at the end, there was a lovely, unexpected tribute to Karen on screen, which I found very moving. It mentioned how much she was missed around the world since her passing and how she will be remembered for her amazing voice and the legacy she has left behind.

Catch it here while it remains available for streaming from around the 43:30 mark.

My5

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
It was very moving to hear Richard describe the arrangement he already has in his head for how a version of the song would sound with Karen. That must drive him crazy at times. It reminds me of his comments in the Japanese special...

It’s like a thorn in your side, knowing I can come up with all of this stuff still...and Karen isn’t here to sing it”.

Once again, in TJL's interview (above)...nothing "new" will ever be released.
So, I am led to ask....again and again...why the song:
Something's Missing is not good enough for a future release ?
Richard Carpenter could create a fantastic arrangement (if he desired to do so).
Why doesn't someone ask him this question in an interview ?
That is, specifically ask why this particular song has never seen a release,
and, apparently, never will.

Back
Top Bottom